italo disco

gnome

Can someone give me any pointers on where to start with this stuff? As it is I'm just randomly surfing stuff in the youtube "related videos" sidebar

nothing is too cheesy or obvious, I'm pretty ignorant re: this stuff

Last edited:

firefinga

A bit of a shame

I got only very little time on my hands these days yet I would love to contribute much to this thread. Let my just say for now IMO Italo Disco is one of those unjustifiably denied/irgnored genres that in fact had lots to offer, if ya just dig a little. Pretty much the same as Hi-NRG - which was some sort of relative sound wise.

anyhow, here is a very early example of great italo-disco, from an Italian-Canadian in fact:

Gino Soccio "The Visitors" from 1978

griftert

For anyone looking to get into italo and not sure where to start I'd check out this list by generally well respected italo dj flemming dallum.
http://www.discogs.com/lists/FLEMMING-DALUM-italo-favorits/192414?page=1
Has a lot of the best and most well-known tunes.

There's lots out there if you're willing to do a bit of digging around.

Also if you search for CBS top 100 lists you should get a load of interesting italo stuff mixed with electro and the like, as curated by I-F of mixed up the hague fame.

Soulseek probably the best place to get this I suppose...

griftert

This track is an absolute thumper. About as banging an italo track as there was, it sounds almost Daft Punk esque.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nice tune, FF. I was wondering just the other day if there would be any interest in a thread on the 'other' nuum, the one that - as I see it - encompasses Italo disco, EBM, New Beat and a fair chunk of acid house. What do you reckon?

firefinga

Another fav of mine. That track is also featured in a scene in "National Lampoon's European Vacation"

And yeah, there was this mixture of mid-late 1980s proto-dance culture consisting of EBM/New Beat, Electro, Funk, Chicago House, Acid House - DJs in Germany or Belgium used to mix these styles together.

Last edited:

RWY

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" allow="autoplay" src=""></iframe>

Been listening to this on repeat for the past month or so, best Italo mix I've come across