Thread: Ay it's a small world.

Default Ay it's a small world.

golden_grooves.jpg

Here's a bit of end-of-year synchronicity the kind which always leads me to expect i must be losing my marbles.

I was going through an old copy of Dazed and Confused at work. Not my copy I can assure you when I came across this little piece they'd done on my local record store. Dazed's office is about a hundred metres from my front door on Old Street. This record store, who they obviously featured as a favour to the owner, is again just round the corner on Whitecross Street.

I read the piece slightly biting my lip because of course this is the very same emporium that I boycotted some 5 years ago when they accepted from a random bloke on the street (without asking for any form of ID) a large pile of CDs that had been stolen from my house. I think that's pretty heinous, tantamount to buying stolen goods. I've also boycotted one store in Glasgow where I worked and discovered the owner had knowingly sold someones stolen collection. Righteous to the core.

Anyway that very same evening I was looking on GEMM for African Headcharge's "Drastic Season", seeing if I could score a cheap copy. Incidentally, I've time on my hands right now cos the Mrs and kids have stolen a march on Christmas and left me alone in London. So I was hunting through GEMM and I came across a single copy, located....................in................Golde n Grooves records.

Blah blah blah called up the owner, got him to drop the record at our local off-license where I picked it up last night after-hours. Lets just hope they've gone straight eh.

Was the owner fined for selling stolen goods? I know here, if you are caught, you are fined or, if it's a first, given a warning. You are always in the clear if you have copied his/her identity card. I always freak out when a shopkeeper asks my id, even if I do it myself (in our jewellery shop).

Be interested to know what you think of "Drastic", Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by john eden
    Be interested to know what you think of "Drastic", Matt!
    environmental.jpg

hole.jpg

beaten.jpg

Well its the same old AFC stuff isnt it. Excellent if you like that kind of thing. Not as abstract as Environmental, nor as poppy as Hole. Truth is I bought it cos, looking at the records I found I had the three either side of it, but not Drastic itself, sad collectors business. Dont remind me about their early record though Jon!

Also I thought Kishis sleeves were so immaculately themed, thought maybe I was missing something visually, another moody cover, but weirdly Drastic looks remarkably different. Almost as though it was by a different person. I was kinda disappointed if the truth be told!

drastic.jpg

Thanks for the scans - I will rip them off if I ever get around to doing an AHC piece

Drastic and Hole are my favourites I think. Not heard "Off the Beaten Track" though (and I think we can agree to ignore the Acid Jazz stuff, yes?). Yeah the sleeves are excellent - very evocative.

I'll have to dig them out again... as for earlier stuff - you're on your own there!