Thread: Blake, or Angels in Peckham

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Blake, or Angels in Peckham

Some love being shown to Blake on another thread recently. He's probably the most visible canonical poet
    in underground artistic activity - Ginsberg, Burroughs, Sinclair, Coil, Jarman all refer to him. So whats the attraction? And what poems or engravings or epigrams do it for you?

And did the Countenance Divine,
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was Jerusalem builded here,
    Among these dark Satanic Mills?

FYAH!

Dread beat an' Blake.

The Angel that presided oer my birth
    Said Little creature formd of Joy & Mirth
    Go love without the help of any King on Earth.

I wander thro each dirty street
    Near where the dirty Thames does flow
    And see in every face I meet
    Marks of weakness marks of woe

luka is big on blake.

i had a big blake thing going between 1989-2001 which coincided with both being at art school (and doing my slightly hamfisted drawings) and taking quite a lot of hallucinogens. mushrooms put one in quite a blakean frame of mind as they deepen one's perceptions of colours. i remember wintry colours looking incredibly purple, red and blue in those years and those feature strongly in blake's canvas.

also of course the gnosticism of the content. just about the only context (outside of afro-american culture) in which i can tolerate, even REALLY APPRECIATE christian symbolism. if i was to have a god, it would certainly be like blake's god, would appear to be incredibly strange.

when i moved to clerkenwell in 06 i used to go down to blake's grave, which is in bunhill fields round the corner, 2 or 3 times a week. there was always a bunch of flowers on it. jah wobble who lurks round my area has a big thing for blake too. didnt he do a blake-themed concept album? i think blake's original house is in soho, round the back of carnaby street, now entombed beneath the Lowe building.

the blake current is running very low in culture in the moment dont you think? did you read that peter ackroyd blake book. i get slightly weary of the way he's single-handedly commandered "London" as a subject (Hawksmoor, Dickens etc ad infinitum) though i suppose its a good thing.

Default blake continuuumm

The entire Sinclair,Home ,Moorcock,Petit axis can can easily be read through the Blakian vector.
    Check the "skating on thin eyes" section of Lights Out For The Territory(very very Heronbone).

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT
    did you read that peter ackroyd blake book. i get slightly weary of the way he's single-handedly commandered "London" as a subject (Hawksmoor, Dickens etc ad infinitum) though i suppose its a good thing.
    I enjoyed Ackroyd's book, but it has had a disproportionate influence in producing a certain image of Blake.
    Ackroyd has a strange profile, hasn't he, both and insider and outsider, feeding off underground currents (Sinclair, Hawksmoor, Dee etc) but copping million quid advances at the same time. I was very disappointed by his book on London (and the TV spinoff). Saw him interviewing the great US poet John Ashbery at the Tate a few years ago - quite the eccentric.