name your top 10 favourite rappers ever

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Now, the moment for which we've waited for...THEY'RE AT THE POST...The rappers carry 200 pounds; Biggie 340...Chuck D throws his set...Rakim fidgets...KRS-1 seems a bit uneasy...And...THEY'RE OFF IN THE SUNNY DISSENSUS RAPPER STAKES!

For the early lead that's Rakim in the center of the racetrack...Nas is away well as Raekwon goes to the whip right out of the gate...From the far outside Chuck D has moved up to be second...Then it's Tupac, settled nicely on the rail; he's a length and a half behind Chuck D...It's two more lengths back to KRS-1...Nas, almost abreast, is seventh. And joining these two, four wide, are Ghostface and Ludacris...Biggie is trapped early by that wall of rappers and he's settling in 9th...Eminem is content to bide his time...

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
The Top 10 Emcees All Time!

(Every emcee I pick for this list revolutionized the art of emceeing forever..if you didn't revolutionize emceeing in some wayin some way or form than you shouldn't be in the top ten...this isn't a popularity or sales list in my opininion, but one of skill, importance and influence of the history/culture of Hip Hop period *Stelfox groans...though understandibly. lol* )

1. Rakim
2. KRS One
3. Kool Keith (Ultramagnetic MC's)
4. Kool G Rap
5. Big Daddy Kane
6. Kool Moe Dee
7. Grandmaster Caz
8. Grandmaster Melle Mel
9. Ice T
10. LL Cool L
11. Notorious B.I.G.
12. Nas/Jay Z (Tie)
13. Slick Rick
14. Busy Bee/Cowboy (he revolutionized the art of emceeing/call and response that the South has spun into many different forms of Hip Hop)/Blowfly
15. Run/DMC (Tie)

One.

DJ PIMP

Rakim
LL Cool J
Chuck D
KRS1
Q-Tip
Big Pun
Eminem
Method Man
Pep Love
Snoop
Pos from De La
Missy
Dizzee
Moka Only
Nelly

spotrusha

rakim
raekwon
ghostface
big daddy kane
krs one (even though i loathe him now)
q tip
eric sermon
jay z
nas
biggie
mos def
kool g rap

new guys: lil wayne, clipse, kano, tinchy, remy ma

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
gumdrops said:
Edward said:
Big Daddy Kane is about the only MC I can still stand to listen to.
What's wrong with Raw? One of the all time hip hop records.... never heard of Big L though.

dont worry, logan thinks public enemy werent anything more than a gimmick.

They were

originaldrum

from start till done
if it's fav and not best ...

bushwick bill
easy e
kokane
too short
def wish
brother marquis
gza
biggie
nas
rakim

and all that other "highschool hip-hop" (actual genre) that i used to dig

ooh kool keith yeah
rubbsh and great at the same time which is one of my favourite categories in anything.
the way his rhymes don't rhyme sometimes and he has massive pauses.

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Pharaohe Monch - Hate, Equinox LP, Stress Extinction Agenda LP
Prodigy of Mobb Deep - Shook Ones, The Infamous LP
Andre from Outkast - ATLiens, Stankonia LPs
Kool Keith - Poppalarge, Dr. Octagon LP
Ice T - Colors, Freedom of Speech but Watch What You Say LP
E40 - Ghetto Report Card LP
MF Doom - Doomsday
Kool G Rap - Ill Street Blues
Nas - Illmatic
Greg Nice of Nice & Smooth - Live in NYC (!!!!), Sometimes I Rhyme Slow
Breezly Brewin of The Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies, Fire In Which You Burn

I wouldn't say this is in any way a comprehensive list, this is simply the people who have made me go 'ohhhh shit' upon hearing or seeing them. The notes beside are what springs to mind about why I love them.

Like I said in another thread, going back and listening to these records now is not a substitute for following along as they came out or at least while they were still getting played in parties and were relevant. Logan, yes Big L is great but if you have ever seen Big Daddy Kane live you will never say shit about him again. The man is like the James Brown of hiphop, and I saw him 10 years after his peak. And saying Public Enemy is a gimmick is terribly misguided, sonically and content-wise they are one of the most innovative groups in all of hiphop history. Best criticism of one list is another, let's see yours.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
confucius said:
not a SINGLE mention of Master-P????????

UUUUUUUNNNNNGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

to be fair, p is a bloody awful rapper.
his talents always lay more in making money (totally unethically) and self-promotion that spitting bars.
beats by the pound, no limit's in-house producers, however, were absolutely spectacular.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
1. CHUCK D - THE BEST, THE MOST SOULFUL, THE BEST MOST DENSE RAPS! WERD!
2. METHOD MAN - coz he's so sauve and cool and a hood
3. KOOL KEITH - his flow is fantastic
4. SHINEHEAD - coz I'm old school and he was one of the first to give respect to reggae influence
5. LL who can rock well - the original punk rapper
6. EASY E - the second punk who went to the Xtreme, his pure rude audacity set the benchmark for all-time.
7. OLD DIRTY BASTARD - coz he was nuts a didn't give a fuck
8. TASH - coz he's fucken cool
9. NOTORIOUS BIG - coz he's phat, dead and was 4 real
10. ROXANNE SHANTE (or the orignal roxanne, the one from Colours) - coz she's got a sexy and sweet voice.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Agree with Logan - the lack of love for Big L is unbelievable......

Um, I think the guy who lamented Master P's absence from these lists was, y'know, taking the piss...

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
the guru
chuck d
mf doom
kool keith
ghostface
gift of gab
erick sermon
rodan
sir menelik/scaramanga
kool g rap
percee p
nas (only illmatic)

bassnation

the abyss
baboon2004 said:
Agree with Logan - the lack of love for Big L is unbelievable......

is he realistically better than public enemy? (their production certainly wasn't a gimmick imo)

the answer has to be a resounding "no"

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bassnation said:
is he realistically better than public enemy? (their production certainly wasn't a gimmick imo)

the answer has to be a resounding "no"

Wasn't agreeing with Logan re Public Enemy, though - love 'em to death.

Big L and his DITC cohorts aren't better than PE as a complete entity, certainly not. But on the level of pure MC-ing, I can't really see many, if any, beating L.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
(The freestyles with Jay-Z remain among my most epiphanic hip-hop moments ever. First time listening to 'Fear of a BP', and 'South Bronx', being others).