name your top 10 favourite rappers ever

bassnation

the abyss
Buick6 said:
7. OLD DIRTY BASTARD - coz he was nuts a didn't give a fuck

how could i have forgot odb, this towering colossus of rap creativity. such a pity hes dead, the man was a genius and thats not a word i use lightly.

its impossible to really cover all your faves in a top ten list.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
But....

petergunn said:
sooooooooo true........

"HEY DOPEMAN!"

"Bitch, Shut the Fuck Up!"

I'd agree...if he ACTUALLY wrote his own rhymes! Ice Cube and MC Ren usually penned his verses (D.O.C. would try, but Eazy E couldn't spit 'em right). That doesn't change the fact that Eazy E's "Eazy Duz It" LP is one of the best hip hop albums ever made...I let my tape rock until my tape popped! One.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Easy's mastery of the word 'motherfucker' is one of his greatest artist achievements. I'm tempted to write a book about it.

gabriel

The Heatwave
(not in order)

grand puba
jay-z
q-tip
phife dawg
biggie
snoop
ol' dirty bastard
busta rhymes
krs one
missy elliott

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i forgot grand puba completely, which is shocking really.
almost everything brand nubian did was seminal and reel to reel is one of my favourite rap albums of all time, especially check it out with mary j blige.

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
yeah reel to reel is fantastic isn't it. i actually don't know anything else by him/them, i must look into it...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
stelfox said:
i forgot grand puba completely, which is shocking really.
almost everything brand nubian did was seminal and reel to reel is one of my favourite rap albums of all time, especially check it out with mary j blige.

He also gets my vote for Best Name In HipHop

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Pretty Much...

gabriel said:
yeah reel to reel is fantastic isn't it. i actually don't know anything else by him/them, i must look into it...

Some of Grand Puba's essential appearances/guest spots:

Master Of Ceremony LP
Brand Nubian "One For All" LP
Brand Nubian "Foundation" LP
Brand Nubian "Fire In The Hole" LP
Grand Puba "Reel To Reel" LP
Grand Puba "2000" LP
Grand Puba "Understand This" LP
Guest spots on: Positive K's "Skills To Pay The Bills" (Grand Puba, Positive & LG), Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth's "Mecca & The Soul Brother" (Skins, co- ghostwriter of all of Pete's verses with Heavy D), Heavy D & The Boyz "Peace Journey" (Don't Curse), Mary J. Blige's "What's The 411" (title track), Rough House Survivers "Straight From The Soul" (Stick Da Butt Out), Lord Finesse's "Return Of The Funky Man" (Actual Facts), Sadat X "Wild Cowboys", Beanie Sigel's "The B Coming" (Bread and Butter).

Off the top...no damn Google searches needed here! One.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Godfather Don

big satan said:
i great mc who i'd slept on but have been really getting into recently is godfather don

His "Hazardous" LP was classic but hard to find. His "Diabolique" LP was classic and is hard to find now. His production is GREAT. His essential joints are his turn and production on Ultramagnetic MC's "Raise It Up", Scaramanga's "Special Efx" from his "7 Eyes, 7 Horns" LP. His production on the instrumental "Hydra Beats" 12's, "Burn" and the remix, "Properties Of The Steel", and the classic "The Cenobites" LP with Kool Keith riding shotgun. Godfather Don is one of my favorite all time emcees and producers. One.

Octopus?

Poisonous Dart said:
His "Hazardous" LP was classic but hard to find. His "Diabolique" LP was classic and is hard to find now. His production is GREAT. His essential joints are his turn and production on Ultramagnetic MC's "Raise It Up", Scaramanga's "Special Efx" from his "7 Eyes, 7 Horns" LP. His production on the instrumental "Hydra Beats" 12's, "Burn" and the remix, "Properties Of The Steel", and the classic "The Cenobites" LP with Kool Keith riding shotgun. Godfather Don is one of my favorite all time emcees and producers. One.

I've always been curious about the Screwball and Hostyle releases (noticed that Godfather Don produces most of Hostyle's). Any insight into those discs?

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Hydra!

Octopus? said:
I've always been curious about the Screwball and Hostyle releases (noticed that Godfather Don produces most of Hostyle's). Any insight into those discs?

Back in the early days of indie NYC hip hop label Hydra Records, two of the biggest acts on the label were Godfather Don and Screwball (Hostyle and Blaq Poet were both members). They were produced mainly by Godfather Don and the Ghetto Pros (V.I.C. & Mike Heron) but later formed a friendship with DJ Premier. Screwball signed a major deal and released two albums including the classic "Y2K" before breaking up. Hostyle's work with Godfather Don is great as well. One.

Octopus?

Poisonous Dart said:
Back in the early days of indie NYC hip hop label Hydra Records, two of the biggest acts on the label were Godfather Don and Screwball (Hostyle and Blaq Poet were both members). They were produced mainly by Godfather Don and the Ghetto Pros (V.I.C. & Mike Heron) but later formed a friendship with DJ Premier. Screwball signed a major deal and released two albums including the classic "Y2K" before breaking up. Hostyle's work with Godfather Don is great as well. One.

Good to get an endorsement on the Screwball and Hostyle...always heard of them in relation to other Queensbridge rappers, but never heard them. Thanks for the information, I'll have to order some up.

robin

biggie (this list isn't really in any order but biggie's number 1)

jay z

big l

snoop (amazed he wasnt mentioned more)

nas

luda

gza

rza (very underrated-his style is a bit of an acquired taste and his albums aren't great but around the time of wu tang forever he has loads of great verses)

ghostface

canibus (underachieving fuck but 100 bars alone merits inclusion on the list)

missy

eminem

ok that's 12 but i don't see how i could leave any of them out

robin

by the way,several people mentioned the clipse,who are a group!
there's pusha t and malice,and there seems to be more of them now,another 2 i think on the we got it for cheap mixtapes,which are well worth hearing btw for anyone who's into the clipse...

and without wanting to be too confrontational,i dont see how anyone can have people like talib kweli on a list of their favourite mcs