Climate change and environmental collapse-ultimate challenge to the capitalist "real"?

luka

if you met droid you would acknowledge him as a brother as i did. anoher skinny scrag end born to kill. seething with resentment. i love my kind and i love you two, my brothers. we're probably literally cousins. i bet any money we're related. im a little bit better looking but not not by all that much. we're obviously brothers.

Benny Bunter

Cumbria's opening a new coalmine

🏴‍☠️🏴⚫❗🚫⚠️☢️🖤🖤💣🧨⚰️🩻🌑🌚🥀🪳👺🔥💥🔥

I’m sometimes quite paralysed by it if I’m honest. I manage to feel guilty about doing fuck all and fairly certain that most anything would be futile at a bigger picture level. Sometimes I think too big picture ie maybe it’s just not possible for a rapid growing techno advanced civilisation to not hit these tipping points. At other times I feel we need a revolution to cut the oil baron tendrils from media gov etc, spill blood like droid wants. It’s always in the back of my mind and I get slightly more worried over time as the data gets progressively more terrifying. I just need a clear action though eg smash in the valley tech nerds skulls with golf clubs

version

I recycle, eat less meat than I used to, pick up litter when I come across it, keep all my plugs turned off unless I'm actually using them and try not to waste things or buy too much shit. I haven't protested, taken legal action or done anything particularly serious. It's all minor lifestyle stuff and some of it just seems practical and cost effective rather than being purely a response to climate change.

Globally consumption is far outstripping the shifts to cleaner energy and we’re very far from a place where powerful countries can express their vulnerability and interdependence, our collective fragility to actually cooperate in the face of this threat… so we really need aliens to step in

version

It's complicated by 'greenwashing' too, i.e. companies making superficial gestures toward combating climate change for the PR. That and we don't know how 'clean' a bunch of the stuff being pushed really is.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Cumbria's opening a new coalmine

🏴‍☠️🏴⚫❗🚫⚠️☢️🖤🖤💣🧨⚰️🩻🌑🌚🥀🪳👺🔥💥🔥
Margaret Thatcher spinning in her grave so fast you could connect her skeleton to a generator and it'd be good for a few hundred MW.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Globally consumption is far outstripping the shifts to cleaner energy and we’re very far from a place where powerful countries can express their vulnerability and interdependence, our collective fragility to actually cooperate in the face of this threat… so we really need aliens to step in
On the plus side, global emissions are set to peak within a couple of years and then - very slowly - start to decline:

On the other hand, the positive feedback cycles that are now in place are so strong, temperatures will continue to rise for decades to come after that.

Leo

recycling and turning off lights is great, but the biggest things you can do to help the environment is not have a car or kids. not that everyone can or wants to do one or both, but those have bigger impact.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
the biggest things you can do to help the environment is not have a car or kids.
Apparently simply being called "Leo" and having seen Richard Hell and the Voidoids at CBGB's in 1979 can reduce your carbon footprint by up to 15%.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
recycling and turning off lights is great, but the biggest things you can do to help the environment is not have a car or kids. not that everyone can or wants to do one or both, but those have bigger impact.
And for anyone who does have a car or a kid, NPR can accept either as a tax-deductible donation.

woops

is not like other people
i think I'll start militantly advocating this line in public and see how that goes.