Bank Charges

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I just sent off my demand for £1100. The letter looked rather similar to the one that Sufi sent - I guess we were both frankly shocked by the way our account had been run.

borderpolice

Well, I just sent off my demand for £1100. The letter looked rather similar to the one that Sufi sent - I guess we were both frankly shocked by the way our account had been run.

How did you calculate that sum (£1100)? did you make it up to see their reaction?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"How did you calculate that sum (£1100)? did you make it up to see their reaction?"

Not at all, I asked them to send me the details of all of the charges that they had applied in the last six years (quoting the Freedom of Information Act), then, when they sent it to me I spent yesterday lunchtime sticking it in to a spreadsheet and added it all up. I then worked out how many months ago each charge was applied, rang them up to check the monthly interest rate on a £1500 overdraft and then worked out the interest on each of the charges I felt was inappropriate (ie all of them) and then added that to the total.
I included the printout listed each charge and the interest with my letter.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just got a letter something like this - I think that they are stalling.

Dear Mr Walsh,
I am just writing to let you know that we've received your complaint yada yada yada.
You have my assurance that we will look into it blah blah blah enquiries should be complete in next two weeks.
Will respond in full then etc etc
Yours
Assistant Manager

What to do next?

sufi

lala
absolutely don't let em stall you ... resolutely stick to the schedule you laid out for them ...
send them the next letter as soon as it's due, acknowledge this one or don't - probably doesnt matter - you already gave them plenty of notice that you'll take them to court, get ready to litigate
(who is this mr w***h anyway?)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"send them the next letter as soon as it's due"
Yeah, that's what I reckon. I'll send the letter with an acknowledgement of this one but say that it basically says nothing. To be honest I only sent the other letter last week so even if I wait two weeks from now they will only gain a couple of days.
How is your case progressing?

(who is this mr w***h anyway?)
That's blown any anonymity I guess.

sufi

lala
delaying tactics,

they've said that they will enter a defence in court - i don't beleive it, but that buys them 2 more weeks so my timeline is now awaiting a judgement in default if they havent actually entered a defence to the court by 15th/Sept,
if they do enter a defence - which i think is very unlikely indeed, i will relish the opportunity to call them bloodsucking vampires to their faces

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice one. Please keep us up to date with anything that happens as I have to say that I'm loving every minute of it (and it will be very relevant to what happens with me of course).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice one Sufi.
Just got a letter from Lloyds saying basically fuck off. Gonna write my second letter next time I get a spare few minutes.

newliberia

little maw
Followinf sufis success...

I am preparing a letter claiming 1460 quid of charges from Natwest.
Thats the charges I have on record that probably aint complete but here goes...

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, I sent off my "letter before action" at the end of the week before last. If I don't hear by Monday I guess it's the small claims court.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, got a big fuck off letter just now. Next step is court I suppose. Sufi, how did you go about doing that, did you just fill in that "particulars of claim" template and send it to a local magistrate or is there more you have to do?

newliberia

little maw
newliberia against natwest

Well I sent in my letter aking for a refund of 1466 pounds charges and got a peply offering a goodwill gesture of 355 pounds.
Told them thats not good enough and very quickly rtecieved a reply saying they had passed the complaint onto another department and I would hear their response within ten days.....
fuckem - theyre obviously completely at it and I want my money back.....

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Another one here as mentioned in the Sunday Times today, "more than 60,000 have downloaded template letters" - http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1141050760,24632,

I love the way this woman has taken on NatWest, sending the bailiffs off to her branch -
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9555-2449462,00.html

Hilary Baker ended up sending in the bailiffs to her local NatWest branch to recover more than £2,000 in “unfair” bank charges she paid over six years.

The part-time optical assistant, from Castle Combe in Wiltshire, had taken the bank to court over the current-account charges, and won. When NatWest failed to pay up, she took tough action to get her money back.

gabriel

The Heatwave
fucking hell, i read this thread when it first appeared but hadn't checked back since, i had no idea that you'd be able to apply this retrospectively - i'd just filed it away in my mind and thought 'next time i get charged for anything i'll remember to kick up a fuss about it'. so it really works? or did sufi make up the £3k thing? it seems weird that he/she hasn't reported back since the enquiry about the "particulars of claim" template

Last edited: