Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: can I get ill from eating too much bacon?

Quote Originally Posted by confucius
    even if pork tends to stay and rot in your lower intestines slightly less than beef (years and years),
    I'm pretty sure this is a myth propounded by various groups. Every biologist I've ever talked to rubbishs it - the bacteria in your gut are damn good at breaking stuff down.

Hvaing said that, there are definate links between eating a lot of red meat and bowel cancer later in life. Plus, pigs are one of the most mistreated farmed animals, after chickens - kept in very cramped conditions and stuffed full of antibiotics. Danish bacon is especially bad, apparently - their laws are more lax than, say the UKs.

A quick look at the food charts shows that eating 200g of bacon would give you over the maximum daily recommended intake of sodium.
    Last edited by tryptych; 09-07-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by michael
    Still, based on your (tasty sounding) recipes above all the dairy might get you first...
    Not convinced by this, if you look at the PETA web page on the risks of dairy, the best they can come up with is:

1. doesn't protect against osteoperosis: wasn't assuming it did
    2. cardiovascular disease: don't want this but I have a healthy lifestyle otherwise
    3. cancer: not going to get ovarian or breast cancer
    4. diabetes: don't have it
    5. lactose intolerance: don't have it
    6. not a good source of Vitamin D: again, wasn't assuming it was
    7. contaminants: you can get organic
    8. health concern in infants and children: not a problem

Quote Originally Posted by foret
    my mother always used to cook about 10 slices of pancetta (not sure how that compares to northern european salted dead pig) before school when i were a littl'un and it never did me any harm, i was consistenly underweight too

the worst thing about it might be the tapeworm eggs which can hatch in your eyes and make you go blind, or give you tapeworms, obviously, so be hygenic y'all

British bacon is leaner and less salty than pancetta. Canadian bacon (and I'd imagine American as well) is worse than either pancetta or British bacon, resembling nothing more than lard pressed into strips. When I've had British bacon I've found it too "realistic" and longed for that noxious artificial Canadian Maple flavour that clings to your hands even after you've scrubbed them with soap . . .

I know British people like to complain about the state of their food, but really, your foodstuffs are often quite luxurious from a Canadian perspective.

Eat up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned
    Not convinced by this, if you look at the PETA web page on the risks of dairy, the best they can come up with is:
    Yeah, sorry, was half-joking... I was just thinking of piling on the fat, really, with all that cheese and cream.

I ate ten rashers in about half an hour once, and felt like I was having a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by spackb0y
    I'm pretty sure this is a myth propounded by various groups.
    I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by spackb0y
    pigs are one of the most mistreated farmed animals, after chickens - kept in very cramped conditions and stuffed full of antibiotics. Danish bacon is especially bad, apparently - their laws are more lax than, say the UKs.
    and pigs are smarter than dogs. but I have a hard time getting behind the animal rights cause because humans are ALSO smarter than dogs but is subject to routine mal-treatment often worse than pigs or chickens.

Default I'm backin' bacon!

Supermarket bacon, allmost without exception is foul.

Try Jack Scaife for the proper taste of bacon.

And no, this isn't SPAM, it's bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Ned

1. doesn't protect against osteoperosis: wasn't assuming it did
    2. cardiovascular disease: don't want this but I have a healthy lifestyle otherwise
    3. cancer: not going to get ovarian or breast cancer
    4. diabetes: don't have it
    5. lactose intolerance: don't have it
    6. not a good source of Vitamin D: again, wasn't assuming it was
    7. contaminants: you can get organic
    8. health concern in infants and children: not a problem
    you can develop diabetes at any point in your life (with some people being more susceptible to others).

plus they also mention prostrate cancer.

you can also get cardiovascular disease if you eat a lot of red meat even if you live an otherwise healthy lifestyle. in fact i'd go as far to say that large amounts of red meat does not equal a healthy lifestyle full stop. theres nothing wrong with it in moderation though.

personally i don't feel very good if i eat red meat dishes for a couple of days running.
    Last edited by bassnation; 10-07-2006 at 05:48 PM.

it's the fact that the animal protein, red or not, is COOKED that toxifies your system and leads to cancer.

raw red meat is very good for you (provided, of course, that it is properly prepared and cleaned and all that)

it's the fact that the animal protein, red or not, is COOKED that toxifies your system and leads to cancer.

raw red meat is very good for you (provided, of course, that it is properly prepared and cleaned and all that)
    mate, you'd be nuts to eat raw meat in the uk. even cooked meat has been a death sentence for some people. i know enough about the standards of food production here to not want to even consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation
    you can develop diabetes at any point in your life (with some people being more susceptible to others).
    You can only get 'child-onset' diabetes when you're a child, surely.

even if pork tends to stay and rot in your lower intestines slightly less than beef (years and years)
    Alright then, got any evidence?

It just doesn't make sense logically - where is all this meat stored, and why doesn't it block up the flow of other food?

Actually, it's more complicated than that. There's no consensus on exactly why red meat is linked with increased bowel cancer - one theory is that it's because of the production of heterocyclic amines, carcinogens that are produced in cooking. However, cooking white meat also produces these carcinogens, but white meat does not show a link with bowel cancer.

Other theories are that its something specific to red meat - possibly haemoglobin, or it's linked to sulpher and sulphate eating bacteria, which feed on the sulpher based preservatives which you will find in almost all processed food, and also red meat.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation
    mate, you'd be nuts to eat raw meat in the uk. even cooked meat has been a death sentence for some people. i know enough about the standards of food production here to not want to even consider it.
    I'm assuming you mean dangers from food poisoning.

I've eaten raw beef (as carpaccio etc) plenty of times and very rare beef, lamb and venison even more. Meat with high amounts of saturated fat impedes the growth of bacteria - which is why you can hang a side of beef for months then eat it rare without getting ill. Meat with low saturated fat like chicken and fish goes off very quickly, so your much more likely to get ill from poorly cooked seafood and chicken than raw beef.

More generally, I think the "dangers" of red meat for health are masked by the presence of other negative factors - trans fatty acids, processed vegetable oils, salt and sugar. All of which are present in processed foods, and it's difficult to find large numbers of people who eat a lot of red meat but not processed meat

The idea of things sticking in your intestines, whether it's meat or "toxins," is pretty much the territory of "healthy" people who think that things like colon therapy, repeated enemas and fasting, and long sauna breaks are ways to somehow detoxify the body. It's a way to lose weight, to be sure, but you're not removing anything from your body that you didn't recently put into it as the human digestive system is pretty damn efficient.

The grossest part is when people who have gone through this sort of thing and claim that they were able to see "toxic substances" in the toilet, which are in fact things like ultra-compressed waste from the churning they've put their gut through, or long stringy bits that are actually intestinal lining that's sloughed off.

That said, I'd probably be sick if I ate bacon every day, let alone several times a day. That much fat and grease will definitely cause long-term distress.

droid Guest

sorry, but I don't have time to break it down or site medical references. all I can say is millions of colon cancer victims don't lie. and my personal experiences sure as HELL don't lie.

in the past 2 years or so I've realized that some of the very basic assumptions we have about our bodies are completely wrong.

if you are interested in this, just go do some research.