can I get ill from eating too much bacon?

N

nomadologist

the only thing that happens to meat when it cooks is certain bacteria die. it's really the diets of excess in general that most people eat that is the problem.

blood is a very, very, very good source of nutrients.

zhao

there are no accidents
the only thing that happens to meat when it cooks is certain bacteria die.

um... no. one of the many other things that happen is 90% of the nutrition is zapped. and it also makes it exponentially more difficult to digest. but we are going round and round aren't we... agree to disagree? some friends wanna take me to a steak-house next week, I'll think nice thoughts of you while pulling the gristle from my teeth :)

EDIT: creepy paralel with the fighting thread :eek:

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

um... no. one of the many other things that happen is 90% of the nutrition is zapped. and it also makes it exponentially more difficult to digest. but we are going round and round aren't we... agree to disagree? some friends wanna take me to a steak-house next week, I'll think nice thoughts of you while pulling the gristle from my teeth :)

EDIT: creepy paralel with the fighting thread :eek:

Zhao, hun, this is not true. It's actually easier to digest cooked meat, because the high temperatures have killed bacteria, which gives people, among other things, diarrhea and indigestion.

90% of the nutrition is zapped from vegetables and fruit if you cook them. Proteins and amino acids stand up under fire.

If you drain the meat of blood and overcook it, you may lose some iron and trace minerals. But not "90%" of nutrients.

zhao

there are no accidents
Re: cooked meat

sigh... I will now respectfully withdraw from the debate.

The gamey redolence of warm, thick goat's blood gets me every time.

don't knock it till you try it. people who hear about eating raw fish for the first time think it's unbelievable and disgusting too.

N

nomadologist

Re: cooked meat

sigh... I will now respectfully withdraw from the debate.

don't knock it till you try it. people who hear about eating raw fish for the first time think it's unbelievable and disgusting too.

Sorry darlin I totally understand your ire about how Americans and a lot of other people don't eat well--annoying as shit that people don't at least try. I was a vegetarian for 8 years, so I understand the aesthetic objection to meat. I really do.

I would never knock eating blood, I love steak tartar.

N

nomadologist

or "tartare" if you're not a sleep-deprived aphasia sufferer

Sorry darlin I totally understand your ire about how Americans and a lot of other people don't eat well--annoying as shit that people don't at least try. I was a vegetarian for 8 years, so I understand the aesthetic objection to meat. I really do.

Aesthetic? I though, for the most part, it was purely ethical (though of course - the ethical having disappeared - increasingly rationalised on pseudo-medical grounds, "Not only is it fundamentally wrong, but it'll make you really ill and give you terminal cancer even if its not wrong, etc").

I would never knock eating blood, I love steak tartar.

Black pudding [fried-dripping in animal fat]?

Lichen

I had dinner with a friend last night whose grandmother had just died aged 106. She was fit active and lived alone and independently until her final weeks.

Her staple diet for much of her life: fresh milk and raw meat!

She never ate either fruit or vegtables.

This proves nothing and everything.

Lichen

"Steak tartar"

So called becuase Ghengis and his mongol hordes would tenderise raw meat beneath their saddles as they rode.

And BTW, Nomadologist, it's easily my favourite thing to eat, preferrably with very good french fries: cold raw meat, warm chip, yum

...though I don't like to crack an egg on mine....happily in most restaurants you can specify its preparation

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah I would probably eat warm animals blood. I fucking love black pudding and raw fish (separately obviously).

N

nomadologist

Aesthetic? I though, for the most part, it was purely ethical (though of course - the ethical having disappeared - increasingly rationalised on pseudo-medical grounds, "Not only is it fundamentally wrong, but it'll make you really ill and give you terminal cancer even if its not wrong, etc").

Black pudding [fried-dripping in animal fat]?

When I was a vegetarian, it was for aesthetic reasons. I had just dissected a cadaver at Upstate Medical and I discovered that roast beef slices look an awful lot like human muscle tissue that's been soaked in phenol for 15 years. Took a while to get my meat stomach back.

Lard is amazing as well. The Puerto Rican/Dominican name for lard is the same one they use for heroin, actually--"manteca"...

N

nomadologist

Yeah I would probably eat warm animals blood. I fucking love black pudding and raw fish (separately obviously).

Oddly enough, I don't like cooked fish at all, but I love sashimi and sushi. The only thing that used to make me feel better after taking serotonin-zapping anything was a five-course Japanese meal with saki bombs.

zhao

there are no accidents
not even grilled trout almondine with garlic mashed potatoes? not even baked halibut with black bean sauce?! how can you not like Peruvian octopus and shrimp stew?!?

EDIT: talk about WORTH DYING FOR!

but yeah raw fish is the bomb. perfect breakfast for me is spanish mackerel sashimi with guiness :) hard to find a sushi place open at 10AM though! lazy fuckers

N

nomadologist

hmm had rainbow trout cooked once and liked it--i suppose i just don't like salt water fish cooked.

greek octopus marinated in aged spices is soooo good. it's even better than fried calamari.

Lichen

Scottish drovers used to let blood from their cows and mix it with oats: I think that was the birth of black pudding on these shores.