can I get ill from eating too much bacon?

dHarry

We have canine teeth and appendices. These are for chewing and digesting meat.

noel emits said:
Also what do you thing the Appendix is for exactly? Isn't it generally reckoned to be a vestigial organ?
I just read about a recent medical study which hypothesised that the appendix was originally (and possibly still is): a kind of reservoir of intestinal flora that would help re-populate the large intestine, after a bout of dysentery or whatever had drained the gut not just of it's food/waste content but also its "friendly" bacteria etc.

N

nomadologist

Huh, interesting.

I just had a BBQ burger in Syracuse that was 1/2 of beef plus 4 pieces of bacon, cheddar cheese, and spicy bbq sauce.

mmmm

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i had imitation duck (tofu/gluten) with noodles :)
As in mun cha'i ya? *drools* I've got a tin sat in the cupboard but I keep getting distracted and cooking curry instead.

As Orbital put it:
sei-sei sei-sei sei-sei sei-sei sei tan
seeeiiiii taaaan

I think heavy intake of processed (including cured) meats is correlated with an increased risk of intestinal cancers, but 'heavy' means daily or nearly daily consumption.

Studies confounded by uncontrolled factors - fatties wolfing down white bread, carbonated drinks and canola oil with their bacon-topped burgers.
You know the drill: correlation ≠ causation
There's a higher concentration of nitrites in saliva or salad leaves than cured meats.
Then there's that rat study "A bacon-based diet appears to protect against carcinogenesis, perhaps because bacon contains 5% NaCl and increased the rats’ water intake."

The case against delicious bacon is a load of unsmoked bollocks.

Last edited:

catalog

umm it won't piss me off, but you're wrong, about protein anyway. There is nothing wrong with animal proteins in and of themselves. People should eat lots of fish. You simply can't have too much protein because whatever you don't use comes out the other end.

Protein is the one thing that almost everyone lacks in their diet these days. Eating animal protein in general should not be discouraged. You have to recognize that there are good sources (fish) and bad sources (bacon). There are other things that are much worse for your health, and are actualy over consumed by everyone: wheat, potatoes, oils and sugar. Men have eaten animals for many millenia. We have only been domesticating grains for the last few, and we have dramatically altered our eating habits from the "caveman diet" (one of the healthiest on earth, which athletes still try to emulate) to a farmers diet that is absurdly heavy in dairy, carbohydrates and sugars.

The problem is not protein, its a sedentary lifestyle combined with high-energy/low-protein foods -> high body fat/low muscle mass - > poor metabolism -> even higher body fat -> even worse metabolism... I think you are distorting the issues to prop up vegetarianism as a catch-all solution. This is misleading.. its much harder to maintain a healthy vegetarian diet than to maintain a healthy meat eating diet.

I had digestive problems for the last 3 years, and just found out that it is celiac disease. Of all the doctors I talked to none of them thought meat was an issue at all - and it wasn't. According to actual doctors, the increasing number bowel problems like IBS (the silent epidemic you speak of) etc. are linked to wheat more than anything else, specifically to foods made with highly processed white flour. If you go in with bowel problems, that is the first thing a doctor will recommend - no white bread, pizza crust etc. also, risks of bowel cancer are increased by any prolonged irritation of the bowels - not by meat or wheat itself. If anyone here is having stomach issues, try cutting wheat entirely out of your diet for a week or two. Chances are, that is the problem, not meat...

anways, here's Cam'ron's song putting it down for IBS awareness:

Lemme tell y'all a lil story about myself
This right here is a true story, check it out though

[Verse 1]
Ulcers hurt my salary, alter my personality
Give it to you real, I can't feed my culture no fallacy
You know my attitude, arrogant, cocky rude
Eatin off papi food, used to be a stocky dude
Weighed two-twenty, wit two honies, I move monie
It's true dummy, dunny need a new tummy
I become berserk, it was no fun to work
Everyday my stomach hurt, rippin off my undershirt
The pain was no comparison, stomach started cherishin
Throwin up in public, yo fuck it, it was embarrassin
Regurgitatin, green, yellow, burgundy, Boom
But came my urgency soon, (what) the emergency room (oh)
In there, no salvage, treated like a cold savage
They said pimpin symptoms, huh, a dope addicts
There you have it, but they ain't find no heroin
Coke, crack, dope, just weed, but that's my medicine

[Chorus]
My baby mama, mama, and my grandma
Say that I'm too gordy (too gordy), word to my blue maurys
This is a true story
I got stomach pain, don't matter sun or rain
Thought that it went away, uh oh, here it come again

[Verse 2]
Never mind stuntin, dime puffin, doc spent his time frontin
He like a bad detective, he ain't find nuttin
Besides that though, I can't enjoy a movie, dinner (why is that?)
My son growin up, I'm lookin like the movie thinner
I'm thinkin suicide, do or die, sit and cry (oh)
What hurt my baby moms askin if I'm gettin high (what the fuck you talkin about?)
She gonna play me a thug, I told the lady I love
If it ain't hustlin ma, please don't relate me to drugs (at all)
I'm loosin weight though, everyday pounds and muscles
Gotta get off my ass, hit some towns and hustle
Bein sick, huh, it get sickenin you know
I was too sick to do shows, but still equipped to move O's
You know my attitude, get it how I get it
If I can shoot, I turn around (then) I'm off my pivot
And oops, I thought I had it mapped
Weight started to gain again, it was just a game my friend
Dame mane I pained again

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
Ay yo, god body, I'm hard bodied, word mommy, vanishin
Hadda go low, the male clinic, Minnesota
I couldn't get cake, a rock in a hard place
For me, that's a odd place, I'm only here by God's grace
Like a lab rat, them tests dishonor Cam
Ultrasound, MIR, CAT scan, sonogram
Laparoscopy, inoscopy, I be stressed (I be stressed)
The prognosis, diagnosed, IBS
And that's irritable bowel child, I hadda spit it y'all
Kick to y'all, so it ain't my fault if I shit on y'all
Get it, get it, get it, get it?
top post

muser

I had bacon this morning was about three weeks old in an open packet but it looked exactly the same as the day I bought it so I reckon I'll be ok.

catalog

When we went for a walk the other day, we saw a pig that was being kept as a pet, had a chat with the farmer about it, cos it came out to see us. kinda scary, cos it was so huge, but had tiny eyes.

The guy was saying how it had been kept as a pet all its life by a woman who lived a few miles away, but she had now got dementia and could no longer come to see it.

The best thing was that my wife asked him just before we carried on what its name was.

"piggy"

Q2y3vi5.jpg

What a classic.

I love pork tho, must say. especially soft chorizo and nduja. Probably eat way too much sausages and v=bacon. Trie dto give it up, lasted about a month.

muser

The pig farming industry here in Spain is supposed to be particularly bad but I still have pork quite a bit, love chorizo and all the cured hams. They're crap at sausages though.

muser

Their pork culture in general has pretty dodgy roots , hams hung outside as a way to prove your Christianity and be a 'not welcome' sign to Jews and Arabs

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
There pork culture in general has pretty dodgy roots , hams hung outside as a way to prove your Christianity and be a 'not welcome' sign to Jews and Arabs
Interesting. I read that the farineira sausage was developed so that Jews could pretend they were eating a pork sausage but really it's flour mixed with some other meat (or fish).

IdleRich

IdleRich
When we went for a walk the other day, we saw a pig that was being kept as a pet, had a chat with the farmer about it, cos it came out to see us. kinda scary, cos it was so huge, but had tiny eyes.

The guy was saying how it had been kept as a pet all its life by a woman who lived a few miles away, but she had now got dementia and could no longer come to see it.

The best thing was that my wife asked him just before we carried on what its name was.

"piggy"

Q2y3vi5.jpg

What a classic.

I love pork tho, must say. especially soft chorizo and nduja. Probably eat way too much sausages and v=bacon. Trie dto give it up, lasted about a month.
Guy from my football team bought a house (on telly in fact - Homes Under the Hammer) in Crystal Palace that used to be a cat sanctuary. But it came with some land. He rebuilt the house and he kept two pigs and some ducks on his land - the ducks flew off after about two days but he had the pigs for some time and to be quite fond of them, I think he was quite sad when the time came to send them off to be made into - really delicious, I can confirm - sausages.

catalog

When we were driving through Spain years ago we kept seeing massive trucks carrying the pigs and it did put us off eating the pork stuff for a while.

Trouble is, with Spain, if you take pork away, it's a huge part of whats available.

And I do love all thd bars where they've got a leg hanging up above you and you get a little carving as a tapas.