What scares you ???

zhao

there are no accidents
nice one tea. what's funny is i get flashes of that fear even in a large swimming pool. have always had it since childhood. don't know what that's about.

and also: chickens.

if i really think about it, these flightless "birds" terrify me. there is one chapter in infinite jest where he describes the hallucinations during a BAAAAD come down where this junky is holed up in a public restroom: this giant wingless and featherless chicken just endlessly pecking at him. shivers.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
deep water and swimming in it, and a giant sea monster comes up from underneath.

OK, my everyday fear is violent burglary and having to defend myself - one of endless revenge fantasies I have - but one of the most frightening - deeply, primaly fightening - experiences was with (clang) Steve Stapleton for Nurse With Wound in Ireland, he took us to this place to see a dolphin which you could swim with in the sea.

It was freezing, but the dolphin was out there in the sea so I stripped off naked - in winter - and swam out. And I'm out there and then I realised - I didn't know it in my head, I KNEW it in my body - that this huge thing was swimming underneath me. Even knowing it was fucking Flipper didn't make a difference, it was very, intensely, proper fear inducing. The fear ran a direct current right up my back. This thing was much, much bigger than me and was underneath me.

Then I realised that it was zero in the water and my body temperature was dropping, and that I was too scared of the rocks on the shore to swim back - I'd climbed out on them to get into the water, but seeing the waves crashing back onto them was another thing entirely. I couldn't get back, and I could feel myself getting sluggish. It happens very quickly.

I climbed onto a rock in the middle of the sea. Steve's waving at me, Andrea's waving from the coast, and I'm thinking 'I can't swim back, I'm fucked'. There were a few people in wetsuits out there, and one came up to me and asked if I was OK and I was speechless and they were like "It's quite scary out here, isn't it?". Me shaking my head vigorously and trying not to cry. I summoned up courage and swam back, and Andrea's on the coastline shouting at me and I'm thinking yeah yeah and then I look round and the fucking dolphin is swimming next to me, it swims back with me all the way to the coast, nearly shelving itself as I get out.

Shit was deep. I was freezing for hours afterwards, the headache from cold is unbelievably painful.

Moral of this story is I guess even if your fears are founded, there's always help right there if you can see it.

Or don't be a fucking prick and go swimming with a dolphin with an avant garde musician in the middle of winter.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Yes! I've swum across Blue Hole in Jamaica, which is this old submerged volcanic vent...you go out a few feet from the shore and the seabed just falls away from you into black nothingness. I head that some people went down to the bottom to explore it and Never Came Back. I loved the way when you looked down you could see the sunbeams from above just going down into the blackness. Spooky stuff.

haha yes, had this in the pacific, its strange, probably not as deep as the blue hole but that instant fall away into a deep deep living dark depth. instantly profound, yes that whole thing of what lurks below, especially as you drop off and the creatures get weirder and weirder, you're not sure which of the fish swimming between your legs are poisonous, everything is 'dreamlike' slow moving, you just saw a pair of tiny sharks....

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
waking up in the middle of the night and the demon from ringu is sitting in the corner of the room. just sitting there.

Yes night hags :)
grey men, it probably is the demon from ringu you know.

The weirdest experiences i ever had, the most haunting was when i was a teenager.
It's one of a few around the time actually, kinda similar experiences.
Me and my friends used to sometimes play hide and seek at night in the tiwn centre, over a couple of streets, one night me and a friend hid in a dirty alley, just as we were in there, thinking there was no one or nothing about, a load of the dirt moved, and from under it came this figure of a girl, covered from head to toe in rags, hair clotted with flith and dirt, face black with much just eyes staring out, very pixy like, quite small, me and my friend just ran.
She was probably a little homeless girl, but how was she so filthy, so hidden how come no one had seen her during the day, she was like a swamp creature she was so filthy, it was weird, she wasn't exactly human either.
The other time was a figure that seemed to be human in the trees at the side of a graveyard, there were always strange rumours of a creature in this particular area, and again there was a creature that appeared to be part of the trees, slumped in a u shape between the boughs, we had smoked our fags near it often and we thought it was an effect of the trees, but then it moved independently of the tree once, again we ran.

Not sure what these experiences, were, maybe being shocked at how degraded human life could get, maybe something else as it doesn't seem to make sense, anyway the two events aren't connected by anything except some one living in circumstances which seem impossible for someone to live in, something uncanny, beyond explanation.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's a really harrowing account, mms. Where did you grow up, btw? The little girl just seems like the sort of creature you'd associated with Dickensian London, or modern-day Calcutta or Sao Paulo, somewhere like that.

Oh, and big up mistersloane's midwinter pagan near-death sea life encounter, that sounds INTENSE.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
That's a really harrowing account, mms. Where did you grow up, btw? The little girl just seems like the sort of creature you'd associated with Dickensian London, or modern-day Calcutta or Sao Paulo, somewhere like that.

Oh, and big up mistersloane's midwinter pagan near-death sea life encounter, that sounds INTENSE.

cornwall, where there are fuck all homeless people, or at least anyone homeless is found usually given temporary housing etc, this would be exceptional, it was strange though, she alsmost appreared to be coming from under the ground, as there was no where for her to be lying, maybe she wasn't from this dimension, same with the tree guy, i mean we'd walked past that shape in the bough many times.

I've seen a ghost of a 18th century sailor walking from a graveyard towards the sea in falmouth on a road where misbehaving sailors were hung up along the coastline to starve to death, a few people i know claim to have seen big cats, maybe these things are demonic parts of your imagination, maybe ghosts are reflections of old gods, symbolic sacrifices etc.
Maybe Gods need consenssus for visibility.

Stephen King wrote a story about a kind of Pan character -near where i live now in finsbury park, this was based on rumours of sightings historically in the area.

'Panic' being the idea of seeing Pan in the woods, i need to do some research on it as it goes, as a road near me, one that leads from where i live to Crouch Hill, is called Ossian road, Ossian is a very old name for guess who? Pan or a pan-like demon figure, so i wonder how old that road is?

Last edited:

CHAOTROPIC

on account
I'm really afraid every time I come home to my (shared) house after I've been away for a few days. It really freaks me out ... every single time I do I expect my housemates to tell me that we've been evicted or that the police have been or something like that. That first contact with them before I know if everything is OK is a matter of genuine concern, every single fucking time. Even a weekend away can trigger it.

Oh, & the other thing that really scares me is waking up in the morning after a night of really serious drinking & not remembering anything. I'm always totally paranoid that I've either got into a punchup with a friend or killed someone or done something totally hideous that'll make everyone shun me. I sometimes go a whole day without checking my mobile phone in case someone's left a "this was the last straw" or "you're in so much fucking trouble" message ...

viktorvaughn

I'm really afraid every time I come home to my (shared) house after I've been away for a few days. It really freaks me out ... every single time I do I expect my housemates to tell me that we've been evicted or that the police have been or something like that. That first contact with them before I know if everything is OK is a matter of genuine concern, every single fucking time. Even a weekend away can trigger it.

Oh, & the other thing that really scares me is waking up in the morning after a night of really serious drinking & not remembering anything. I'm always totally paranoid that I've either got into a punchup with a friend or killed someone or done something totally hideous that'll make everyone shun me. I sometimes go a whole day without checking my mobile phone in case someone's left a "this was the last straw" or "you're in so much fucking trouble" message ...

I always feel i will have been burgled, have left the tank on or have left the cooker on and started a fire, guess its quite a common (and sensible) anxiety...

zhao

there are no accidents
I always feel i will have been burgled, have left the tank on or have left the cooker on and started a fire, guess its quite a common (and sensible) anxiety...

yeah i always imagine masked men are waiting on the otherside with baseball bats when i come home at night...

great flipper story sloane... and mms ghost stories... ringu seriously destroyed me for months afterwards. because it is like all the creepy ghost stories i heard as a child in china. there is that special sensibility of east asian horror...

a radio said something to me once, it was turned off.

similarly my old dj setup in LA would once in a blue moon strangely pick up police radio. when everything is switched off. first time it happened was at night and i was in the other room alone so i did not know it was police radio, all i knew was there was a fucked up voice coming from the living room... a few weeks later my friend didn't believe me and as luck would have it, it happened right there when i was telling him about it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Something that shitted (shat?) me up good once was this time I was just walking along a fairly quiet street in central London and a car just started very slowly crawling down the street, level with me and keeping pace with me perfectly. I guess the driver was just looking out for a particular address or trying to see what the parking restrictions were, and I just happened to be there and to be walking at the same speed they were driving - but in films the only time this ever happens is when the pedestrian is about to be shot dead or bundled into the car and abducted.

The car eventually either stopped or sped up and zoomed off, I can't remember which, but I was very relieved when it was no longer cruising alongside me. It was very, I dunno, bad manners on the driver's part.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Oh, I've got one... looking at my bank balance online. I sometimes will find ways to avoid doing this for days and weeks. It fills me with dread.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Something that shitted (shat?) me up good once was this time I was just walking along a fairly quiet street in central London and a car just started very slowly crawling down the street, level with me and keeping pace with me perfectly. I guess the driver was just looking out for a particular address or trying to see what the parking restrictions were, and I just happened to be there and to be walking at the same speed they were driving - but in films the only time this ever happens is when the pedestrian is about to be shot dead or bundled into the car and abducted.

The car eventually either stopped or sped up and zoomed off, I can't remember which, but I was very relieved when it was no longer cruising alongside me. It was very, I dunno, bad manners on the driver's part.

The power of the human mind in these situations to imagine the worst is incredible....just reminded me of a very similar thing I had happen to me on holiday in beirut. Having the words "Terry Waite" on repeat in one's mind at full volume is very unnerving.

luka

some cunt always does that to me when im tripping for some reason. doesnt help the paranioia