BASH 27TH July, London: Coki/Skream/Loefah/The Bug

john eden

male pale and stale
918719842_l.jpg

Thursday 27th July (And the last Thursday of every month)

Coki (DMZ)
Skream (Tempa)
The Bug (Rephlex)
Loefah (DMZ)

10-2
Plastic People,
Curtain Road, London

http://www.bashsound.com/
http://www.myspace.com/bashsound

I will be there, will you? :D

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
LOL!

surely. i'll be with my friend paul, who doesn't post on here, so fuck knows what he'll make of it! :)

john eden

male pale and stale
BASH said:
Coki(Digital Mystikz), Kode 9(Hyperdub), The Bug(Ninja Tune) & Loefah(DMZ) plus host Sgt Pokes will be raising the temperature on Thursday 27th July at BASH. Strictly party, no arty farty, big bottom tunes and heavyweight grooves

Thursday 27th July(And the last Thursday of every month)

BASH
At Plastic People.
(Presented by The Bug & Loefah)
147-149 Curtain Rd., London. EC2

Policy :
Bashment, Dub, Ragga, Rockers, Roots, Dubstep, Lovers, Hip Hop...

10-2AM
£5

john eden

male pale and stale
Another good one. :D

Kode9 kicked off with an erratic selection of party tunes - Cameo, bits of hip hop. WTF? It was actually pretty good and fair play to him for deviating from the traditional warm up of 70s roots (tho I would have preferred that really!). At some point he went off on a late 90s tangent with a version excursion on either Volume or Baddis Ting. Wicked.

Loefah was up next - I can't remember a lot about his set, but it was well up to his usual standards. I chatted to him briefly a while back about his reggae selections and was surprised to hear how critical he was of himself - I think he's a wicked selector and seems really confident about mashing up eras and styles - something I find really engaging after witnessing lots of brilliantly themed (but predictable) sets by more "traditional" reggae DJs over the years.

Loefah finished up with some dubstep and Coki took over on the same tip. Some Skream* tune got played which had all us old gits furrowing our brows and going "is this dubstep? it sounds like...". Anyway, this followed on with some more garagey type stuff from the d'step 'nuum. No idea what any of it was. Good though. Yeah. Oh yeah, he also boshed out some great late 80s / early 90s raggamuffin biz like Admiral Bailey's "No Wey Better Than Yard" and Shabba's "Wicked in Bed", which got the dancefloor gyrating proper.

Then Kevin Martin blew the roof off. Again. His set was slightly marred by the presence of a couple of retards repeatedly shouting "dubstep! dubstep!" in the quieter bits like he's a fucking jukebox or something. But fortunately we were instead treated to some stone cold killers like:

Smiley Culture- Cockney Translation
Tippa Irie - Lyric Maker (oh yes!)
Cutty Ranks - Limb By Limb
the "Truth & Rights" relick from last year

alongside some Bug classics like "Dem a Bomb We", "Aktion Pak" and "Politicians & Pedophiles" - all of which were dubbed to buggery, ripping Plastic People up into tiny pieces and then stickig it all back together again. Kevin also brought in some more electro-tinges, which was interesting.

More "no-shows" from MCs this time, but it seemed to matter less this time for some reason.

Good turn out from various crews - nods to Boomnoise and Matt B. The place wasn't full by any means, but I thought the atmosphere was great anyway. thank fuck for the aircon!

Hold tight for the next one, big things are promised... sounds like this is just phase one. :cool:

------

* Thanks, as ever, to Boomnoise for the tune ID ;)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Kevin's stealing your choons!!!

Sounds like another wicked night, possibly the best so far. "No Wey Better Than Yard" -- chooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was the Skream one Dutch Flowerz? If so that's the dubstep track I've been wanting John to hear all year...

john eden

male pale and stale
2stepfan said:

Sounds like another wicked night, possibly the best so far. "No Wey Better Than Yard" -- chooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Was the Skream one Dutch Flowerz? If so that's the dubstep track I've been wanting John to hear all year...

He's not nicking "my" tunes :) , he's larging up the uk-fast-chat-deejay-current (and additionally is actually putting some cash in Tippa's pocket if things go to plan :cool: )

The Skream one sounded like some kind of mid 90s shaka-style steppers business, does that help? :p

Anyway, on that note, should I get dubstep allstars 3 or 4, in your opinion? (i.e. which do you think I would like best?)

boomnoise

♫
2stepfan said:

it was Smiley Face by skream.

Not long to wait for Dutch Flowers now.

Good to see you John, as always

and very nice to meet matt b - thoroughly top bloke.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
mms said:
samples dennis brown ' your smiling face' a niney production innit

does it? :cool:

I don't remember there being any vocals in it, tho? :confused:

EDIT: PS - did you get the text I sent you, Paul? If so, then I expect loud and public praise, yes? ;)

Last edited:

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
john eden said:
Anyway, on that note, should I get dubstep allstars 3 or 4, in your opinion? (i.e. which do you think I would like best?)
Get neither, I will buy both, do you a copy, then you can get a legit one of whichever you prefer.

BTW I have a spare copy of 2 if you want it.

Smiley Face is excellent but I am convinced you will be utterly overcome by the digidub genius that is Dutch Flowerz.

Just got your text - been calling that number for weeks but thanks anyway...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Not a bad idea.

Not really dubstep, but it is good.

Might be worth getting some Rinse sets - or I could burn some to CD for you :).