Camping

Woebot

this summer we bought a vw camper van and we've now been down to folkestone on one trip (the warren) and nr.margate on another trip (botany bay, minnis bay) it was fantastic. the weather was divine. i slept in a tent and the rest of the guys slept in the van.

on sunday we're heading off to cornwall for a little over a week, which is kind of adventurous seeing as how lulu is only four and sam is one.

one thing is that i really detest camp sites. i think it may be a reaction agin the people (being honest!), but most probably against the mentality. i mean, are we liberating ourselves or wot? static caravans probably embody everything crap about campsites. i think we may try "wild camping", i got some large canisters for water (showers) and i also bought a wee generator (yeah i know i'm insane...)

still i noticed a few people from where i work are going to be camping out this summer as well! i suppose with the weather in the summer getting warmer and warmer in the uk, and the sea becoming lovely and warm, that it's one of the positive future benefits of global warming......

adruu

This Is It
Camping is easily one of the things I regret not doing more of. Especially in Canada, where 80% of the country is a giant untouched wilderness.

Most national parks in the States (Texas at least) had "primitive" areas where you had to trek out to, but they were 100x better than the areas where you could park and be around other people.

Your limited if your kids are that young. As they get older you can probably ditch the generator, and head out to more remote areas (if that exists in the UK I don't know).

Very classy looking camper though! =)

sufi

lala
the camper is sooo great matt

mebbe port eliot if you're down cornwall? i think they had a festival of some sort there this year

O

Omaar

WOEBOT said:
well! i suppose with the weather in the summer getting warmer and warmer in the uk, and the sea becoming lovely and warm, that it's one of the positive future benefits of global warming......

Saw a clip on TV last night, someone in the UK who had been researching the impact of climate change on european tourism talking about what he'd discovered. Basically predicting that the mediteranean resorts are going to be too hot in the future (not sure what the timeframe was), and that europeans will travel to the UK for summer holidays, where temperatures will be more agreeable. Upshot - the development of a whole lot os costa del sol type resorts and high rises at various previously unspoilt spots on the uk coastline. :(

Nice camper btw!

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
adruu said:
Camping is easily one of the things I regret not doing more of. Especially in Canada, where 80% of the country is a giant untouched wilderness.

Most national parks in the States (Texas at least) had "primitive" areas where you had to trek out to, but they were 100x better than the areas where you could park and be around other people.

Your limited if your kids are that young. As they get older you can probably ditch the generator, and head out to more remote areas (if that exists in the UK I don't know).
Wild camping in scotland is very definitely allowed (you can also stay in bothies if you know where to find them), although there's a 98% chance that it'll pish it down with rain. It's tolerated (just) in the Lake District and afaik the north yorks moors and similar places, provided you get well away from farms and roads.

That said, I'd guess that the 'attitude' you have a problem with in campsites would get less noticeable as you get away from the teashops and into the hills anyway.

polystyle

That's great Matt
Sleeping in a tent in nice weather sounds sweet ...
And yea , camping is something that doesn't happen enough
Haven't gotten out in the tent for a few years now , got to do something about that this year

IdleRich

IdleRich
Going camping today actually. Hopefully. Unfortunately the responsibility of booking a campsite was left to me, I did it successfully before deleting the confirmation email and completely forgetting which campsite it was. My friends are now desperately ringing every campsite on the Gower Peninsular to see if they had a booking from me - I've not been invited to contribute to this process....

Woebot

thanks for the replies peeps.

we were going down to cornwall but changed our minds at the last minute and went across the channel to an area just south of calais. it sounds grim but its just beautiful, this big totally unspoilt countryside in a national park:

http://www.mincoin.com/photos/wiss/wiss4.jpg

downside was that it rained a couple of nights, but the days were sunny. i reckon that heading for the south of france must be the only way to do longer breaks. you can duck out of london on a weekend when its sunny, but trying to rely on the british weather for longer than a weekend is just a no-go (even taking into account global warming!)

budub

la di da
your camper is a beauty!

i am mostly familiar with camping in the northern rockies - colorado and wyoming. wild camping really is so great, but it does in fact require a bit of dedication.

i was going to inquire whether you are camping near fresh water but i see my answer is already here http://www.mincoin.com/photos/wiss/wiss4.jpg

looks like a beautiful place.

polystyle

Pre fall wind chill

After some weeks of various productions , that 100F week,
a few nutty, bit crazy group dealings (in 3 groups at the same time is it ?) and NY Noise 3 wrapping,
my man Michael's family decided the fam vacation the other week was enough
and so now there is an empty cabin up in the White Mountains awaiting occupants.
A great invite and just the ticket , not quite a camping trip but some elements outdoors.
I am hearing the screened - in porch provides almost outside sleeping ,
during the night one can hear everything that's going on out there in the woods-
without the Northern woods bugs.
By throwing the ol' North Face 3 season tent , packs and bags and a 'lil sack in the car,
day hikes can extend into over nighters out in the Presidential Range , perched up on a patch over a rock face.
Add a guitar and bass , that tiny Orange amp and sticks and stones and the Sony DAT
and we be harmonizing in the wind.
And can collapse into a tub at end of the day . Chillin , top billing

polystyle

Wind rocks trail musik

In the end we brought up a couple kyboards , a rack of gear and modules, Sony little speakers and the DAT all worked out great .
It was getting colder each night ,
taking a break to go outside after working up music for hours to
google the stars became the night cap .
We had the space heater on in the mornings
Very windy day up Mt Jefferson Tue's as we hiked up into the grey black cloud
scouring the rocks and waves of grass
Sweet Blueberries along the trail up the rock slabs of North Percy
about an hr out of Randolph NH where the cabin was
Mt. Madison right across the valley from the cabin's screened in porch
3 beds out there to hang out on , a hummingbird flitted by one afternoon
The friendly neighbors down the dirt road all waving ,
sometimes you saw someone walking down the roads or hitchhiking to the next trail
Russian or Ukrainian shopgirls behind the meat counter and cashier at the local
someone 'warming up' singing opera down the way as evening fell
and pink clouds roll across top of Mt. Adams

3 full 24 ht cycles with no TV or web + 2 partial ones did help focus
but great to be bk home too >>>>

tate

Brown Sugar
sounds fantastic, polystyle, thanks for the report! btw we missed you 'round here, and there's a few threads in need of your wisdom and insight, esp the one discussing visual artists who make music, since so much of what was said there related to nyc . . .cheers from upstate :D

ome

summer hols

seeking greenspace 8h from london?

- basic & remote ok
- canine beast and fire allowed.
- near swim water good - freshwater preferred.
- tween friendly (no brew crew)
- hippy solar showers a luxury

-- experience hints at not booking campsites over a weekend due to many humans. (rather stay in an airBnB; last min. ebay cottage; or go to a festival too avoid)

¿golden nuggets anyone?

Last edited: