Where have the UFOs gone?

Woebot

Saw a great poster in France, a magazine cover reproduced at enlarged scale.

The question (I think!) being asked was, where have the UFOs gone?

I don't know about the background to this, but I'm assuming the number of reported sightings has decreased significantly?

Either which way you look at this it's fascinating........

swears

preppy-kei
I was obsessed with UFOs as a kid. I used to read the Fortean Times and those books about reported sightings, Roswell, Men in Black (the urban legend, before the film), "Greys", all that faddish stuff. It used to scare the shit out of me. Then, at about the age of eleven I just came to conclusion it was all bollocks. The more I read, the more it seemed like something people needed to believe in, rather than something they had "uncovered". I think when we have a full-on 90's revival, (not just bits like rave) all this X-Files script malarkey will be a major theme.

mms

sometimes
WOEBOT said:
Saw a great poster in France, a magazine cover reproduced at enlarged scale.

The question (I think!) being asked was, where have the UFOs gone?

I don't know about the background to this, but I'm assuming the number of reported sightings has decreased significantly?

Either which way you look at this it's fascinating........

well this is a question that newspapers te world over ask every year, it's one of those silly season stories, but its also the sort of evidence that's unquantifiable, especially as the ufo underground is made of tiny groups, there is no national register for the reporting of a ufo etc, i think people still spot them, whatever they are.
It's fashionable to think that they are infact mainly military aircraft, either secret or prototype, and ufo phenomenon was part of a disinformation campaign that has been going since the 50s, spread by the government, ie ufo's are more harmless than leaking military tech secrets to the enemy.
:cool:

sufi

lala
"You know," says Gary, "the, uh, Non-Terrestrial Officers. The spaceships. 'The whole world thinks it's cooperating in building the International Space Station, but you've already got a space-based army that you refer to as Non-Terrestrial Officers'."
Gary mcKinnon knows...

swears

preppy-kei
HMGovt said:
Interesting link that adds a bit of colour and depth to the whole, sad story.

Feynman talks about UFOs here, saying that he believes more in the capacity of the irrationality of mankind than the rationality of alienkind.

skip the hat and don't expect high definition

Spot on. And is that some early Aphex in the background?
This makes up for that awful casio-punk video you posted before. :D

mms

sometimes
sufi said:

it's awful that story - his strange long body and funny face makes him look a bit like what aliens are supposed to look like.
the capacity of irrationality in mankind eh, not so sure about that, but if irrationality in people amounts to possibly seeing aliens then that's ok with me, but then there is all that stuff about masses of americans who believe they have been abducted by them, which can of course be explained away by things like sleep paralysis, but who is to know about that if they aren't told?

swears

preppy-kei
ascoltare said:
yeah i love the garry mckinnon story. this link to an interview by jon ronson is well funny.

Yeah, he's a really entertaining writer/broadcaster. Sort of like Louis Theroux, but going more deeply into the reasons why his subjects are considered eccentric or obsessive.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
THE summer destination for UFOs for the last few years has been Mexico City, it's kind of like Ayia Napa for Martians.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5305085298884471236&q=ufos

The cool stuff is about 20 minutes in. Try and ignore the soundtrack. The stuff at the end about crop circles and pics of greys etc is all the usual fare that could well be a hoax, but I have to say, I would really like to hear a rational explanation for what these huge armadas of objects flying about over mexico are. Whatever they are they are pretty amazing looking.

nochexxx

harco pronting
THE summer destination for UFOs for the last few years has been Mexico City, it's kind of like Ayia Napa for Martians.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5305085298884471236&q=ufos

thanks, totaly messmerising vid, reminded me of this recent sighting in portugal.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3997157039690660910&auto=true

i saw some wierd light in ths sky on my way to bristol, last thrsday to be precise. i'm guesing it may have had something to do with the lunar eclipse. for a giggle i decided to file a report at MUFON, as copied and pasted below.

At about 8pm we were driving along the M32, which dips down towards Bristol, sunset had just about disappeared and the sky was becoming darker. We were driving more or less continuously in a straight line except for some parts of the journey where the road occasionally bends both left and right.

Sitting in the front seat of the passenger side looking directly ahead I noticed an object i nthe sky just above eye level. I would describe it as looking like a curved mark/blemish/blob of bright orange light. it looked about an inch long in the sky and appeared to be stationary. I looked at this light for what seemed like a good 10 minutes, then as we veered towards the right side of the road I lost site of the object due to tall trees.

About 8 minutes later the road straightened out and the object could be seen again, however this time the object shrunk into a small ball of orange light. Once again I viewed the object (this time for a longer time, around 15 minutes) before the road curved round and we lost sight of the object.

As we came out of the next bend the object could be seen once more, but this time we were closer and the object now looked bigger. It was also a different shape, this time looking like a long orange spear about 3-inches long to my naked eye.

After viewing the object for quite some time, perhaps another 10/15 minutes we then drove past it and the object was not seen again.

I've no idea what the object was but later discovered that there was a lunar eclipse that night, so perhaps this had something to do with it. I enjoyed the sighting as it turned a boring car journey into an interesting spectacle. I should also point out that my friend who was driving at the time also saw it but we did not discuss it until the next day. At the time I didn't want to draw attention to it as I felt it may be dangerous to distract him from his driving.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
UFOs are the latest in a long line of spooky visions.

Before UFOs there were phantom planes, before them there were phantom airships, before then there were "Blessed Virgin Mary" sightings.

MATT MAson

BROADSIDE
Actually, people were telling stories of UFOs long before all of those things...

http://www.crystalinks.com/ufohistory.html

I remain skeptical about UFOs. A lot of people want to believe in extraterrestial life and hang on to it like religion, the probability of life on other planets derived from conventional use of the drake equation is wildly optimistic, and it's long been a great cover story for secret military projects.

Having siad that, I would really, really like to know what those things are appearing in Mexico and other places. That shit is pretty mind-blowing...

No worries, its just the famed mothership of the Nation of Islam sucking in air and having a wee bombing exercise with it's little planes before heading back out to orbit.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
where are the UFO's?

They've gone away with the Cold War. Maybe it was secret air force technology that is not being developed anymore (no funding?). Maybe it was the public's paranoia that ended.

swears

preppy-kei
They've gone away with the Cold War. Maybe it was secret air force technology that is not being developed anymore (no funding?). Maybe it was the public's paranoia that ended.

But public interest in UFOs peaked in the mid-nineties, a few years after the cold war ended...
People imagine all kinds of crazy stuff, I read about a woman that became hysterical and crashed her car trying to escape from a point of white light that was following her, and no matter where she drove, or how fast, it was hovering above her in the sky.

It was the planet Venus.

P

Parson

they're invisible because they are in such a highly quantumized state that they have surpassed the visible light spectrum

however NASA has cameras that can see into the near UV spectrum and they show up plain as day on their cameras

this highly energetic state doubles as cloaking device but the primary function would be the ability to travel at high speeds without the problem of mass due to the mass being so highly energized it loses not only visual detection but mass too

Last edited: