Mice

Woebot

in the past four days since my family have been with the in-laws i have got three mice in traps! it's been a blood-bath!

IdleRich

IdleRich
I dunno if you saw this kind of similar thread

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=3789

But anyway (to recap) there were rats in my block of flats, could hear them running around in the ceiling all night which was annoying but not as annoying as when my flatmate's girlfriend saw one in the kitchen. We got a guy in to put some traps down which claimed one victim, then got someone else in to find out where they were getting in, which turned out to be through the drains, so we blocked that hole up with concrete and wire wool. That meant that none could get in so all we had to worry about was the ones already in the ceiling and whether they could breed faster than we could kill them. Also left traps down by the holes into my kitchen, hoping that the hunt for food would drive them to their doom.
It all seemed to quieten down and I began to hope that they were all done for when I got a phone call at work from my girlfriend saying "there's a dead rat in your kitchen". It seems that desperate for food the last surviving rodent had thrown caution to the winds and tried to force his way through a hole that was too small for him under the sink. Dunno how long he had been there but he was beginning to stink so my flatmate called the ratman to come and deal with it but he couldn't make it that day.
Seeing as it's my flat I thought that I had better deal with it so I told my tenant/flatmate that I would clear it all up when I got home - how difficult could it be right? He said "I dunno man, it's pretty big" - words that began to prey on my mind throughout the long day at work, throughout the day the task grew bigger and bigger in my mind. On the way home I stopped for some rubber gloves and industrial cleaner and summoned the courage to deal with a rat that had by now grown to the size of a dog.
When I got in (it stank) I went straight to the sink to face the task in hand, to my relief it wasn't as big as all that but all I could see was the head and forelegs sticking out. I got the gloves and tried to grab hold of his horribly stiff body but it was definitely going to take some pulling - I guess that weakened by lack of nourishment getting stuck had proved the final straw and he had just given up the ghost. I got some purchase and pulled as hard as I could, all of the time with the terrible fear that it was going to burst, finally the back legs gave way and it came out, dragging behind it a stiff tail that had to be about ten inches long - that kinda gave me the creeps.
I spent ages cleaning it up and I'm hoping that that is the last one (fingers crossed) but every time I hear a noise I think that they might be back. I also dread to think about others that may have starved to death slowly rotting in the cavities between the flats.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
I just moved into an apartment in Red Hook (a very strange but kinda cool little out of the way neighbourhood on what used to be the Brooklyn docks) and was dismayed to discover - the morning after I signed the lease - that the place was infested with cockroaches. Really infested. I had to wait a week before moving my stuff in in order to get the place sprayed. After the spraying I waited two days before going back and cleaning up. I estimate that I swept up over two pint glasses worth of cockroach corpses. This is making me shudder a little even now.

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
I used to live above a bakery, which is automaticcally bad news for rodents.

we had our share of sightings for a little while, and a landlord that would do nothing. they gradually became bolder and bolder as far as running around the house. the pb on the traps sat there and molded. i have a feeling they were smarter than us.

but one day, as i was leaving my house, i noticed an exterminator in the parking lot, getting ready to spray for mice.

i asked him if he could do the upstairs too.

he said "the old landlord paid for the whole building, but when the new guy took over, he only pays for the bakery"

SO WHERE THE FUCK DO YOU THINK THEYRE ALL GOING?

well, that landlord didnt get the full rent for a long time.

gumdrops

i was walking down my road yesterday when i kicked something by accident. looked down and realised it was a mouse. i hope rodent karma doesnt mean that the less dead mice on my road invade my flat next month.

craner

Beast of Burden
sampson.jpg

Woebot

managed to wipe out the blighters. at last....

the mouse man came to lay poison and i opened a kitchen draw to point out one place where i'd seen them and fuck me if there wasnt a live mouse jumping about in it. i was like (shreeking) "its a mouse...its a mouse"

i wonder how often he actually sees real live mice on his job!?!?

then i sealed all the holes with wire wool. and got one of those sonic mouse scarers! emits an incredibly loud inaudible pitch apparently.

craner

Beast of Burden
Funnily enough I just had to rescue a terrified mouse from Christopher Foyle's bin. I liberated it by letting it out onto the streets of Soho - what better gift can one give?

craner

Beast of Burden
It's a disgrace. You can still get The Church Mice Spread Their Wings I think. The one where they get lost in the town park and Arthur and Humphrey have a big argument about whether they're in China or the Sahara Desert (it's a construction site).

matt b

Indexing all opinion
fuck, they're all ace.
little over view here:
http://brookeshelf.blogspot.com/2006/09/forgotten-bookshelf-church-mice-books_21.html

this quote sums up the writing perfectly:

"Humphrey the Schoolmouse had been reading again, and one pleasant afternoon in Wortlethorpe Churchyard he began to lecture his fellow church mice. "We have become Victims of the Rat Race," he told them, "crushed by the Pressures of Modern Life. Our nerves are being torn to shreds in the Mad Struggle for Survival."
At this moment, everyone went indoors for tea."

accompanied by the illustration of humphrey talking to himself, whilst the rest of the mice sleep or play

the slight disparity between the words and pictures was perfect

turtles

in the sea
Today I clubbed a rat to death in my living room with a 2x4. I feel the bloodlust upon me. DEATH TO ALL RATS!!! They are no match for me and a heavy piece of lumber.

STN

sou'wester
My mate found a rat wriggling around in his toilet about two weeks ago. He's still a mass of nerves because of it.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Aargh the little mousey blighters!
They've been rustling around somewhere in the cavity of the ceiling of my house for months. We put one type of poison down but they seemed to completely ignore that. We did manage to catch one that had found his way into a plastic bag containing flour - it was ejected from the premises on Christmas Day no less.
Since then an investment in some stronger poison was in order, resulting in one tiny little one being found dead on the kitchen floor. However, far worse things were to occur a few days later. One night I was half asleep and heard a rustling from somewhere in the room. I'd got used to the scratching sounds that they make above my room, but this was definitely inside the room. I woke up and switched the light on just to see it scurry to an unreachable corner. Damnit! Needless to say, this invasion was highly problematic, and the I laid the poison in my room.
The next day I entered my room and heard a scurrying and screeching sound. The poor thing was leaping about the place, lolloping left and right, obviously in a huge amount of pain, its insides at this stage in a bad state due to the poison. I decided to leave it for 15 minutes, as I was sure that it would certainly be dead by that time. 30 minutes later, the same thing. I felt so sorry for the little bugger, so to put it out of its misery it got a couple of very hard hits from my Peavey Strat Copy. Mouse was duly squashed. I actually ended up burying it in the garden, which I don't think you're supposed to do in case a cat finds it, eats the mouse and the poison inside. But I felt bad for the poor thing.
Thing is, there's still one left, regularly pooing in my colander!

mos dan

fact music
DEATH TO ALL MICE!!

we have a next-door neighbour's cat who has two kills under his belt from a previous infestation. we've started inviting him in again to prowl around and look menacing.

we have some of those useless mouse-noise impersonator plug-ins.

but we need some real weapons in our arsenal - we've seen a good three or four mice now, which must mean we have thousands. erk.

can anyone recommend any good poisons or traps? or anything else that will kill them on a grand and horrible scale?

let the 2008 mouseacide commence...