Painting

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
been painting for a bit, and put some online here for anyone interested on commenting. it's not a lot yet but i plan on locking myself up and to paint several things at the same time. usually try to draw people and creatures i see on the street. a dog that bites me. a person wearing aluminum foil as pants, etc.
https://www.instagram.com/xzizzy1/

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Good stuff. You're a creative, aren't you? I wish I was, but last night it occurred to me like a bolt from the blue that I am not a creative and, perhaps, must be content to be an analyst.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm reading a book about when Van Gogh lived with Gauguin ATM and the story behind the portrait below is that the model, Madame Ginoux, was the wife of the owner of a brothel frequented by both artists. She was actually posing for Gauguin, who sketched a frontal portrait in preparation for a bigger work.

Van Gogh, placed at an angle to Mme. Ginoux, executed a full-sized portrait in something like an hour, and it turned out like this, with all its finality and pathos:

479px-Vincent_Van_Gogh-L%27Arl%C3%A9sienne.jpg

So this is a demonstration of why Van Gogh was the greater painter, and a genius.

Last edited:

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Good stuff. You're a creative, aren't you? I wish I was, but last night it occurred to me like a bolt from the blue that I am not a creative and, perhaps, must be content to be an analyst.

but did you try to paint once? or make music? or write? i think even if you're not that creative or talented it can be a lot of fun, and therapeutic as well. plus, you're creating time-documents. you make something, put it away, save it, lock it, archive it - and whenever you expose yourself to your work it takes you back in time.

here's some fighter aircrafts i painted this afternoon:

DrlfGWNWwAElyFY.jpg

DrlfI9iX4AEwbR7.jpg

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
not a painting but very interesting i thought:

aby_warburg_tavole_mnemosyne.jpg

Return to Hamburg

In 1902 the family returned to Hamburg, and Warburg presented the findings of his Florentine research in a series of lectures, but at first did not take on a professorship or any other academic position. He rejected a call to a professorship at the University of Halle in 1912. He became a member of the board of the Völkerkundemuseum, with his brother Max sponsored the foundation of the "Hamburger wissenschatflichen Stiftung" (1907) and the foundation of a university in Hamburg, which succeeded in 1919, and at which he took up a professorship. At this period signs of a mental illness were present which affected his activities as a researcher and teacher.

He suffered from manic depression and symptoms of schizophrenia,[3] and was hospitalized in Ludwig Binswanger's neurological clinic in Kreuzlingen, Switzerland in 1921. There he was visited by Emil Kraepelin who did not confirm the diagnosis of schizophrenia and suggested Warburg was in a mixed manic-depressive state, a diagnosis with a more positive prognosis. Indeed, his mental conditions improved also thanks to the support of the philosopher Ernst Cassirer, who visited him in the clinic: “Warburg was highly relieved that Cassirer fully understood his plans to restart his research, that Cassirer highlighted the importance of Warburg’s ongoing scientific efforts, and felt he could contribute substantively to the art history discourse” [4] After his release from Binswanger's clinic in 1924, Warburg held occasional lectures and seminars between 1925 and 1929, which took place in a private circle or in his library.[5]

Warburg died in Hamburg of a heart attack on 26 October 1929.

Last project: Mnemosyne Atlas

In December 1927, Warburg started to compose a work in the form of a picture atlas named Mnemosyne. It consisted of 40 wooden panels covered with black cloth, on which were pinned nearly 1,000 pictures from books, magazines, newspaper and other daily life sources.[6] These pictures were arranged according to different themes:

Coordinates of memory
Astrology and mythology
Archaeological models
Migrations of the ancient gods
Vehicles of tradition
Irruption of antiquity
Dionysiac formulae of emotions
Nike and Fortuna
From the Muses to Manet
Dürer: the gods go North
The age of Neptune
"Art officiel" and the baroque
Re-emergence of antiquity
The classical tradition today[7]

There were no captions and only a few texts in the atlas. "Warburg certainly hoped that the beholder would respond with the same intensity to the images of passion or of suffering, of mental confusion or of serenity, as he had done in his work."[6] Mnemosyne Atlas was left unfinished when Warburg died in 1929.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aby_Warburg

there's also a nice poetic documentary/video on arte for those who speak french or german: https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/064380-000-A/eher-sterben-als-sterben/

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm a sort of sponge for language, it's often happened to me when I meet someone I really like (not romantically) I will start talking like them for days after I've hung out with them

I consider this PLIANCY evidence of my weakness of will and personality, but also of my christ-like charity

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
thank you corpsey, that keeps me going.

war_horse.jpg

When He broke the second seal, I heard the second living creature saying, “Come.” And another, a red horse, went out; and to him who sat on it, it was granted to take peace from the earth, and that men would slay one another; and a great sword was given to him.
— Revelation 6:3-4

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
black_horse.jpg

When He broke the third seal, I heard the third living creature saying, “Come.” I looked, and behold, a black horse; and he who sat on it had a pair of scales in his hand. And I heard something like a voice in the center of the four living creatures saying, “A quart of wheat for a denarius, and three quarts of barley for a denarius; but do not damage the oil and the wine.”
— Revelation 6:5-6