Painting

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Is that Sickert?

Sickert was sick (in the modern parlance)

76_10.jpg

luka

there was a big exhibition at the RA a while back that was one of the best things ive ever seen. he was a cartoonist like hogarth as well as being a painter. did some ceramics. had a few themes he explored obsessively. don quixote for instance. i love his pop eyed drinkers not able to get the beer down quick enough. best drinkers in painting i reckon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Interesting taking a brief look at his stuff on googleimages, a lot of it is like Gilray and Hogarth and then you get this

Honore_Daumier_Two_Sculptors.jpg

I'm guessing this is a sketch or an unfinished work. I think unfinished/sketched works accord very strongly with modern tastes so that they're actually sometiems preferred to the smoothly finished, immaculate final products.

luka

yeah that is a big thing with daumier. theres clearly an aesthetic preference for the unfinished. one of this most famous images is the man swinging from a rope which is the prime exemplar of that tendency. it's barely there. im all for it. much prefer daumier to ingres.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Actually takes me back to my (incoherent) point re: the corot painting - in that the obscurity of the faces in these unfinished works makes them more mysterious, and therefore more universal (not the right word - i suppose i mean that the figures in that delacroix, because faceless, could be any of us)

The ultimate examples (?) of the unfinished work expressing (even if inadvertently) something profound about the mystery and transience of human life are Michelangelo's captives

slaves-bearded-atlas-760x642.jpg

Which also express michelangelos' preoccupations with the spirits struggle to transcend material reality

luka

the claude stuff is great for gazing at stoned cos its just so romantic.
CIA_CIA_P_1978_PG_64.jpg
cubism is great for acid.

luka

paintings of travelers on horseback approaching the city walls is a great genre for stoned romantics.

luka

anything that incorporates a feeling of distance and outside looking in is great for being stoned.