Painting

sufi

lala
N01511_10.jpg
whoa what's that?

jenks

thread death
I went to Leighton's house last year - I only really knew his 'Flaming June' painting which has graced many greetings cards - the building and ornaments are amazing - a genuine orientalist delight in the heart of London. (yep, i get the ethics of nicking stuff from abroad etc but the effect is impressive)

Last edited:

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
A skim of that provides me a nice reminder of this Poussin painting

h3_24.45.1.jpg

'Nothing was ever more finely conceived or done. It breathes the spirit of the morning; its moisture, its repose, its obscurity, waiting the miracle of light to kindle it into smiles; the whole is, like the principal figure in it, ‘a forerunner of the dawn’. The same atmosphere tinges and imbues every object, the same dull light ‘shadowy sets off’ the face of nature: one feeling of vastness, of strangeness, and of primeval forms pervades the painter’s canvas, and we are thrown back upon the first integrity of things.' (Hazlitt)

luka

those are craners favourite paintings sufi. hes got the tastes of a 12 year old boy! there was a tiny little ray harryhausen exhibition at tate britain recently and they were on display cos they were a big influence on him. that and dore.

luka

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n20/inigo-thomas/the-chase i enjoyed this - obvs that's one of turner's main classics but the article brought it to life nicely

this is a fantastic example of writing around a painting as opposed to writing about a painting. in the same way seblad writes around a landscape.
i'ts one way of doing things and it has it's uses but it's also indicative of an inability to see whats in front of your nose

luka

Gutenberg man's attempt to engage with a foreign medium or environment. turn it into a book.

luka

had a little shuffle through the national today after trying out the gursky exhibition and disliking it

The_Annunciation,_with_Saint_Emidius_-_Carlo_Crivelli_-_National_Gallery.jpg

this painting has a gherkin in it.