Painting

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've got a book by Matthew Collins which talks about how the painting is two triangles of colour, the diagnol divide being burst into by Bacchus - who's also bursting 'out' of the canvas to my eyes, uncannily lit as he is.

I struggle with titian (knowing he's considered by many the greatest painter of all) but that painting is one where I really see what the hype is all about.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actaeon.jpg

This is my other favourite titian in the national gallery.

Last edited:

luka

well the blue is undeniable isnt it. it could just be that blue and it would be great to look at.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Decent piece on Degas for those who know his work but precious little about him (me) https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n01/julian-barnes/humph-he-ha . I love the idea that he was obsessively reworking 'finished' pieces even after they'd been sold, like a bedroom music producer.

Not into Gauguin's endless Tahiti fetishism, but this (can't get the image to embed):

https://uploads1.wikiart.org/images...d-to-vincent-van-gogh-les-misérables-1888.jpg

Waterhouse.... x 2....not sure what's going on with the image function...

Attachments

• destiny.jpg
    destiny.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Destiny_-_John_William_Waterhouse.jpg
    Destiny_-_John_William_Waterhouse.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
the-school-of-athens.jpg

I saw this in Rome and it wasn't as good as the Sistine chapel ceiling but nothing is

Raphael is one I find hard to appreciate, but I am appreciating him more the more I try

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Transfiguration_Raphael.jpg

417px-Tizian_041.jpg

I've got a book about venetian painting which contrasts these two paintings, by Raphael and Titian, to show the difference between Florentine and Venetian painting.

I should type it up in here cos it's quite interesting. It's all to do with how light falls on solid and monumental forms in the Raphael, spotlighting them to show them as clearly as possible, whereas in the Titian, light doesn't fall on all the figures evenly, the light (and by extension colour) is what the painting is really composed of.

See I can't explain it properly. I'll type the passage in here some day.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
mrs-sarah-siddons-the-actress-1755-1831-1785-oil-on-canvas-thomas-gainsborough.jpg

Die-Toechter-des-Malers-mit-einer-Katze.jpg

That second Gainsborough is among my favourite at the National Gallery - it's a painting of his daughters, unfinished (you can see the ghost of an angry cat in the foremost daughter's lap), and I think it was even painted just as a sort of test or practice, but it's really touching to see this affectionate (attentive - the singularity of their faces) painting of these two little girls, long ago old, long ago dead, preserved

This painting by Rubens of his daughter is similarly touching

showImage.asp

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know what you mean but I find them touching in spite of how mannered they are, and perhaps even more so given how mannered they are - it's that classic English thing (prepare to puke again) of holding in emotion for the sake of propriety. also I think they're just painted brilliantly. obviously my taste is more conservative than yours though lol

Saying that I do prefer Turner to Gainsborough and to 90% of other painters for that matter

Turner-Rockets-%2526-Blue-Lights-1840-Clark.jpg