favourite headline ever

IdleRich

IdleRich
Did anyone see the Irish paper (can't find the link now) that cheekily went with "Orangemen March into Final" after Netherlands beat Uruguay?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
bighead.jpg

I have a feeling this thread is going to be busy for the next month or so......

michael

Bring out the vacuum
^ Ha, ridiclous! I was going to say "how on earth did that get past a sub editor" but then I can't really imagine anyone who would want to read that article complaining about a bit of fnarr fnarr innuendo... it's not like it's on the politics page about some sensitive issue or something.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not exactly (or at all) a headline but I'm enjoying Mike Tyson's take on gentrification

I went back to Brownsville with my reality-TV-show crew, they're doing a segment about my childhood racing pigeons, and Brownsville's all upscale now. They got surveillance cameras, buildings that were abandoned cost, like, a million now, and I'm thinking, My life must've been a lie, 'cause there's nothing there that looks like my childhood. This white woman come up, and I'm thinking, Wow. When I was a kid, she would've been robbed and raped and left for dead. This is a real strange scenario, and I just wanted to cry. I'm like, "Who am I? Where's my heritage?"

http://www.observer.com/2010/daily-transom/mike-tyson-hates-how-‘upscale’-brownsville

Beats people talking about how the pubs in Hackney aren't as spit n sawdust as they used to be.

Leo

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
lol!!

I picture a single tear rolling down Mike "I'll fuck you til you love me" Tyson's cheek as he thinks of a rich lineage of proud men robbing and raping white women in their neighbourhood, lost... and for what? Condos.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
yeah, crazy. but just fyi: brownsville is still pretty crap, it just used to a A LOT worse. certainly not truly gentrified on the scale of other sections of brooklyn.

brownsville? gentrified?

have things in brooklyn really changed that much since i left? when i was living there nobody wanted to live in brownsville.