Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: favourite headline ever

After that drug test went wrong in March - "I WATCHED HUMAN GUINEA PIGS EXPLODE"

The Sport, on Versace's murder, pure genius - "SHOOT YOU, SIR"

The Sun had one about a cop who'd had a sex change, "NO NOBBO BOBBO KEEPS JOBBO" - I swear that's not made up. They also once ran "MY NAME IS GEORGE" on the front page, which was basically about newsreader Trevor McDonald really being called George. Scandalous.

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    On a similar note (although I can't remember which paper it was) I remember an article attacking Brass Eye's paedophile programme - next to a leering spread on (the then underage) Charlotte Church's breasts entitled "Look who's a BIG girl now!".
    from wikipedia:

"The show caused a furor among sections of the British tabloid press. The Daily Star printed an article decrying Morris and the show next to a piece about the then 15-year-old singer Charlotte Church's breasts under the headline "She's a big girl now"[4]. The Daily Mail featured pictures of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, who were 13 and 11 at the time respectively, in their bikinis next to a headline describing Brass Eye as "Unspeakably Sick" "

"The Daily Star printed an article decrying Morris and the show next to a piece about the then 15-year-old singer Charlotte Church's breasts under the headline "She's a big girl now"[4]. The Daily Mail featured pictures of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, who were 13 and 11 at the time respectively, in their bikinis next to a headline describing Brass Eye as "Unspeakably Sick" "
    As Littlejohn would say - you couldn't make it up.

This was years and years ago, but the small city I grew up in had two daily papers, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. One day I walked past two newspaper boxes side-by-side which said...

"CITY BANS LAP DANCING"

/

"RESIDENTS MOVE TO TOWNSHIPS"

While I can see the Onion headlines as cheating, their response to the WTC attacks on 9/11 was the greatest headline Ive ever seen, real or fake:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

i think they handled the whole affair amazingly, with their articles being hilarious, and yet not derogatory or upsetting as the tragedy was still so close.

super cali go ballistic celtic are atrocious

[QUOTE=martin;61040They also once ran "MY NAME IS GEORGE" on the front page, which was basically about newsreader Trevor McDonald really being called George. Scandalous.[/QUOTE]

Why on earth would anyone change their name from George to Trevor?

From our local paper:

BIRD MAN IN FLAT STENCH ROW

I also loved the unintentionally hilarious New York Times headline about the US Secretary of State not receiving a warm reception during an official visit to Beijing: China shuns Rice

Worked for years in tabloids so have quite a few favourites...

Years ago, shortly after the Dunblane massacre, the Duke of Edingurgh made some (surprise, surprise) tactless comments which he was later forced to retract, leading to "Duke apologises over gun comments".
    Which immediately put me in mind of:

Looks like it's time for me to go POSTAL!

(Well, it was 1996....)
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Did he say "I've got balls of steel"?

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    Did he say "I've got balls of steel"?
    Something about how a teleporter looked like it had been 'put in by an Indian', apparently.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 28-01-2008 at 08:22 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Default How A Firm Got Smart To Fight Grime

** pandemonium ad asbo **

@nomos - there wasa club in Camberwell where they had fake ES billboards up. TERROR TERROR TERROR was a great one. But the best was CANCER CAUSES CANCER.

For the tabloids, the Sun had FOR FOX SAKE! on the day after the countryside alliance broke into the commons chamber in the house of parliament, which was cool.

But my all time favorite is an unintentionally funny one from the Guardian: MAFIA DON FOUND IN PRESTON.