favourite headline ever

swears

preppy-kei
TOSH IS DEAD

617018355_m.jpg

Leo

A pair of well-known classics from this side...

NY Daily News when President Ford refused to provide federal bailout of NYC's fiscal crisis in the 70s: "Ford to City: Drop Dead"

NY Post on a grisly 1997 murder: "Headless Woman in Topless Bar"

F

foret

^^ news corp in even worse misogyny in usa non-surprise /

absolutely confounded by swears's gnomic jpg/caption

swears

preppy-kei
foret said:
^^ news corp in even worse misogyny in usa non-surprise /

absolutely confounded by swears's gnomic jpg/caption

That was an actual Sun headline at the time.
They used his character's name on The Bill rather than his real name, which I found funny, along with the way it's so blunt. I think they had a photo of him looking pissed as well.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Swears- I'm loving the "tosh- dead" headline... brilliant... so cruel, and yet exposing what a comical figure the man was... sad, funny, and makes you feel like a bit of a c*nt for laughing at it, but never mind eh?

zhao

there are no accidents
from the Onion so cheating a bit but:

Apartment Full of Jesus Shit Brings Date to Grinding Halt

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
Swears- I'm loving the "tosh- dead" headline... brilliant... so cruel, and yet exposing what a comical figure the man was... sad, funny, and makes you feel like a bit of a c*nt for laughing at it, but never mind eh?

It's more like laughing at The Sun for a complete lack of tact.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's more like laughing at The Sun for a complete lack of tact."
Another example of that is when, in Sept 2004, Brian Clough died in the middle of the Kenneth Bigley saga. For those who don't know Brian Clough was a football manager known affectionately as Old Big 'Ead, Kenneth Bigley was an English bloke captured in Iraq and held hostage under the threat of beheading (and who was, indeed, beheaded).
With it's customary sensitivity the Currant Bun ran the headline "Goodbye to Old Big 'Ead" on the same front page as a picture of Kenneth Bigley.
On a similar note (although I can't remember which paper it was) I remember an article attacking Brass Eye's paedophile programme - next to a leering spread on (the then underage) Charlotte Church's breasts entitled "Look who's a BIG girl now!".

martin

----
After that drug test went wrong in March - "I WATCHED HUMAN GUINEA PIGS EXPLODE"

The Sport, on Versace's murder, pure genius - "SHOOT YOU, SIR"

The Sun had one about a cop who'd had a sex change, "NO NOBBO BOBBO KEEPS JOBBO" - I swear that's not made up. They also once ran "MY NAME IS GEORGE" on the front page, which was basically about newsreader Trevor McDonald really being called George. Scandalous.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
On a similar note (although I can't remember which paper it was) I remember an article attacking Brass Eye's paedophile programme - next to a leering spread on (the then underage) Charlotte Church's breasts entitled "Look who's a BIG girl now!".

from wikipedia:

"The show caused a furor among sections of the British tabloid press. The Daily Star printed an article decrying Morris and the show next to a piece about the then 15-year-old singer Charlotte Church's breasts under the headline "She's a big girl now"[4]. The Daily Mail featured pictures of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, who were 13 and 11 at the time respectively, in their bikinis next to a headline describing Brass Eye as "Unspeakably Sick" "

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The Daily Star printed an article decrying Morris and the show next to a piece about the then 15-year-old singer Charlotte Church's breasts under the headline "She's a big girl now"[4]. The Daily Mail featured pictures of Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, who were 13 and 11 at the time respectively, in their bikinis next to a headline describing Brass Eye as "Unspeakably Sick" "
As Littlejohn would say - you couldn't make it up.

nomos

Administrator
This was years and years ago, but the small city I grew up in had two daily papers, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. One day I walked past two newspaper boxes side-by-side which said...

"CITY BANS LAP DANCING"

/

"RESIDENTS MOVE TO TOWNSHIPS"

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
While I can see the Onion headlines as cheating, their response to the WTC attacks on 9/11 was the greatest headline Ive ever seen, real or fake:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

i think they handled the whole affair amazingly, with their articles being hilarious, and yet not derogatory or upsetting as the tragedy was still so close.