K-Punk and the Catholics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tea, here's my technique. I go to 'whos online' and click on the random threads anonymous guests are looking at. That way you find things you'd completely forgotten about and can read again

Interesting, I like the idea.

Anyone else think "K-punk and the Catholics" is a great name for a band? Or does it sound too much like Frank Black's post-Pixies group?

firefinga

It's our retromania phase

That's the good thing about a forum spanning over years or even decades. There'S the point where so much stuff has been posted, you'd just revive threads and can go on with that. It's a bit using up the substance, but what can you do. without Brexit and later on Trump, the forum would be dead.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm still quite proud that as a forum we consistently failed to come up to Mark's demanding standards of engagement.

droid

Its surprising reading back and seeing just how clumsy he was. Godwined this thread after 3 posts. Much more suited to speakers corner than the debate club.

CrowleyHead

It is 9:34 AM on a Sunday, and no church could lift my spirits and make me laugh as uproariously than looking at evidence of a middle-aged white UK Citizen unironically use the phrase "Amerikkkan" in a debate.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Without wishing to sound uncharitable, how did he ever become such a Big Deal?

And did he pioneer, or just transmit and popularize, that writing style that emphasizes hysterical invective and scorns nuance and, really, any kind of moderation at all as somehow inherently 'reactionary'?

I remember his bizarre broadside against the manifold evils of politeness, where he excoriated the pernicious practice of not being personally unpleasant to be around. Because giving up your train seat for an old lady or covering your mouth when you cough is apparently some sort of arcane gestural shibboleth only taught in exclusive Swiss finishing schools, and therefore an impediment to The Revolution.

Last edited:

luka

he did some good things early one. wrote or contributed too great bits on Burroughs and PKD. Attention does funny things to people who have been starved of it though. It's a powerful drug.

Status
Not open for further replies.