Famous Artists who designed Record Sleeves.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
Robert Longo

B000002L8C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

daren

13_sleepdirt_record_P.jpg

Gary Panter is the first name that came up on my mind when I saw this thread. He recently came to my university to speak and showed some of his old record art. He also was the head set designer for Pee Wee's Playhouse. If anyone is aware of the Rhode Island noise scene, his artwork is very influential in those groups.

zhao

there are no accidents
Bruce Conner

this is probably my all time favorite record cover, for Terry Riley's Poppy Nogood and the All Night Flight, by the equally amazing Bruce Conner, a mystic who worked in the 50s and 60s.

it folds out to a big poster. shame a proper reproduction is not available on the web...

B00000I9VA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

more bad photos of Conner's drawings... he also made films, paintings, collages and sculptures. I kick myself for not getting the catalog of the retrospective.

art.jpeg

artwork_images_618_25315_Bruce-Conner.jpg

artwork_images_618_25321_Bruce-Conner.jpg

PW108_01.jpg

artwork_images_445_150772_Bruce-Conner.jpg

F00012.JPG

ConnorMan.jpeg

Last edited:

martin

----
Not 'designed by', but there was a time when Don Mc Cullin regularly had his photos swiped for album covers -

pop_groupf.jpg

Killing-Joke-Killing-Joke-328487.jpg

Plus Dead Kennedys' 'Holiday in Cambodia', numerous Discharge releases and loads of other stuff I can't be bothered to Image Search

Incidentally, this Discharge album cover is a straightforward ripoff of a poster produced by the pressure group Radical Alternatives to Prison in 1975

11287.jpg