Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whither Dancehall?

Default The Quick

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger
    his nickname is the Energy God, right?

(if such a deity really existed, that would be my religion actually. that's my philosophic bone of contention with kpunk, he's into everything becoming inanimate and uttunul-like, i'm into what some ardkore record titled itself, "the quickening")
    energy god, yeah i think thats right. luka calls him that anyway.

quickening. i suppose one could trace that semantically to "the quick and the dead". "the quick" are the living arent they? such a great term "The Quick" buzzing with suggestive meanings.

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger
    i used to be a Sound First kind of guy, mainly a reaction to the way record reviewers in the UK would almost entirely deal with lyrics or socio-political stuff or the artist's biography/personality and hardly every deal with the stuff of sound itself (actually American rock critics were even worse, in those days )

but now i think the whole thing about pop is that it's this messy hybrid of sound, words, persona, socio-politico-cultural context, biography/neurosis, performance, clothes, choreography, charisma
    on the other hand i suppose mp3 culture is spooning a large section of us (maybe the technoliterate?) into the pure sonic approach. perhaps theres some off-spin here whereby a gulf of misunderstanding is opening out between the camp of people who listen to music sonically and those for whom a single is but a memento of a social event.

yeah, he's called energy god coz he's an absolutely insane live performer, climbing and jumping all over the place like a big ragga krusty the klown. incidentally just picked up a great video including footage of him of him in concert in miami. the highlight is when he sings a version of "we are the world", falling to his knees and breaking into a fits of (mock) uncontrolable sobbing etc

earlier dancehall autopsy thread. some opinions ventured may raise eyebrows.