Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Krautrock Bit Me In The Ass

Quote Originally Posted by jwd
    Matt was this the first thing (or maybe even the only thing) released on Dingerland?
    The catalogue number isnt giving anything away 982-00282 or summat. itd be a real dream-team in most circumstances wouldnt it!

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger
    deuter
    i used to have Deuters "D" (or I think that was what its was called) slightly blue-ish cover with him sitting in a bedsit on the back cover surrounded by reel-to-reels and indian pictures. its not a record you see that often, and in some ways i wish i still had it.

actually the image of deuter on the rear reminded me very strongly of the germans who i met in india, always struck me (probably for no good reason) as an unusual place upon which to come upon them. maybe owing to indias strong british connection. despite its quite cool rampaging antique drum machines i never REALLY dug it. but again id reiterate that i wish i hadnt sold it (er woops)

on this current jaunt i also came across witthuser and westrupps "Lieder von Vampiren, Nonnen und Toten" the green one with the vampire theme, which is pretty excellent though this one "tripps and traume" is supposed to be better:

but wahey! found someone in the north of england whos selling me a reissue of it.

also came across the curley curve lp (acid blues again i think) which has a superb pop art cover but didnt buy it.

found these sites while scavenging around:

http://www.krautrockgroup.com/
    http://tmachine.chat.ru/germ/progrtop.htm
    Last edited by Woebot; 04-01-2005 at 04:37 PM.

portions of the "crack in the cosmic egg" guidebook are online here:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathu...utrockers.html

Default one more

oh yes, what about Agitation Free

one of the few Krautrockers in the Cope canon to also be in that Billboard Guide to Progressive Rock

i have Agitation Free's "Malesch", "2nd" and "Last"

"Malesch" and "2nd" are really good- but i would consider them hippy jamming (with electronics) so some on here may frown upon that...

"Last" is different- has more synths and sequencers- some bits remind me of Heldon but not as harsh.

jimbackhouse Guest

aaaah! Matt: 'Trips und Traume' is a stunning album!! very 'cosmic' acid folk very much in the cope-vein, with moments which almost verge on stoned-bavarian schlager singalong. one of my fave 'non canonical' krautrock albums (although i'm sure it's in the freeman brother's canon)

if you dig it, check out emtidi (both albums on pilz - they're both on cd) and holderlin ('holderlin's traum', but definitely NOT their second one)

agitation free: 'last' is amazing from start to finish, especially the beautiful main track which is 20 minutes of primal drone + freakout + primitive synth sequencer psychedelic bliss-out!

as for der plan: the first 2 albums (geri reig + normalette surprise) seem to be the best stuff, although i have a soft spot for their 'pop hits' like gummitwist. it's still in print from atatak (www.atatak.de) and they also do a series of dvds of their amazing promo videos from the early 80s to date (pyrolator, der plan, holger hiller, et al) i have volume one and it's amazing (apart from a few VERY dodgy moments towards the mid - late 80s)

the double cd compilation 'verschwended deine jugend' on universal music is a MUCH better introduction to the late 70s / early 80s scene than the crap new deutsch compilation on deejay gigolos. teutonic disaster is a great compilation too, although the links between this stuff and 'proper' krautrock are fairly tenuous, although i'm sure conny plank is probably a key figure in the continuum!!

Having recently bought Space Ritual by Hawkwind I was shocked to hear how krautrocky it sounded - or, just as likely, how much Hawkwind (and esp. Lemmy) had seemingly influenced the psych-hairy-rock side of Krautrock...

The first La Dusseldorf album, by Dinger and associates, IS the closest thing there ever was to the 4th Neu rec (moreso even than 'Dino' off the first Harmonia alb)

I'm afraid I'm rockist enough to prefer the 'canonical' Tang Dream recs (eg everything up to 'Phaedra') to their later Euro-'disco' albs: plus, 'Aqua' by Edgar Froese is def. the FIRST German realisation of 'Heroin House'

Quote Originally Posted by minusone
    moebius' albums with conny plank & others (mani neumeier, gerd beerbohm, jurgen engler) which I absolutely love, epecially 'zero set' & 'en-route' Was anyone else doing stuff in this vein in the 80s?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freemans' Crack in The Cosmic Egg
    Not all of the Moebius & Plank projects have been so successful, unfortunately, as working with Mani Neumeier on ZERO SET strangely took the music too close to techno for comfort, as does the more recently issued EN ROUTE (an originally abandoned project) which is also similarly plagued.
    Ha I obviously don't get the canonical here - but music from 1982 that is close to techno is surely at least as interesting as music from 1979 that mixes cosmic & dub?

there's a sniffiness about the more synthy stuff isn't there....
    (other dodgy new-age kraut stuff that is actually REALLY good- ashra! 'club cannibal' sounds like something off daft punk's 'discovery'.
    I hope these tangerine dream solo LPs are good cos I shall hold you people personally responsible if I buy em and they all sound like Vangelis....
    i like Phaedra loads more than the Edwin Pouncey nonsense of Electronic Meditation, but got some early 80s stuff and was not overly impressed. nonetheless the stuff Harmaplazt and Jazzbo are talking about sounds awfully tempting

Yeah, Crack in the Cosmic Egg have an huge blind spot when it comes to (proto) techno, it seems to underrate Göttschings E2-E4 in a somewhat similar way: "Nowadays it's amusing to note that, it has since become a benchmark of ambient and techno fans!"

Most revealing of all, though, is their take on DAF after Die Kleinen und die Bösen: "... on subsequent albums (which are much too crap to be listed here) the duo version of D-A-F went to do trendy Kraftwerk-like techno-electro and vocal music of little merit." What, of little merit? As great as the early DAF were (well, Die Kleinen und die Bösen at least, I haven't heard Produkt der...), it's nothing compard with the Alles ist Gut/Gold und Liebe/Für Immer-triology, some of the most influential records ever, groundbreaking in a way the Freemans simpley don't get at all.

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    I hope these tangerine dream solo LPs are good cos I shall hold you people personally responsible if I buy em and they all sound like Vangelis....
    Hm, well, Schulze and Schnitzler sound nothing like Vangelis I think, but you might as well hold me responsible anyway, because I actually like him! (shock horror!!!). Yeah sure, we all know and hate Chariots of Fire, and he have made some other crap in the same vein, but he have actually made huge amounts of very different music. There's some weird early jazz stuff (The Dragon and Hypothesis), there's some of the greatest and most freaked out instrumental prog records (Heaven and Hell and Albedo 0.39), and not least theres a lot of strange ambient records, from pseudo orchestral (Mask and Soil Festivities, the latter eventually being on my all time album top ten, such strange dreamlike rain music) to bizarre avant-electro (Beaubourg and Invisible Connections (released by Deutsche Grammofon no less)). Oh, and the Blade Runner-soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by owen
    i like Phaedra loads more than the Edwin Pouncey nonsense of Electronic Meditation, but got some early 80s stuff and was not overly impressed.
    Right on, Electronic Meditation is so overrated. I remember playing it to a friend who pointed out that it was basically a Pink Floyd rip off. I mean, it's nice and all, but it's not that different from so many other freak outs. As for the 80s, there's some agreement that that's when TD started to go bad. I do like the wonderfully synthetic plastic sound on records like White Eagle and Hyperborea, though.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by hamarplazt
    Most revealing of all, though, is their take on DAF after Die Kleinen und die Bösen:"... on subsequent albums (which are much too crap to be listed here) the duo version of D-A-F went to do trendy Kraftwerk-like techno-electro.
    The brothers gotta have the "KEENAN disease"! Just like David Keenan on Coil making ininteresting by format commercial techno stuff like "the snow" (which like every times Coil flirted with techno was not by number and very good). Technophobes!

Late '70 TD is interesting, sure? Even "Cyclone"? caution... really, but who i am to tell since i own those:
    TOP 3 "MASTERY OF MONEY (you gotta have a lotta to buy VCS3, ARP, etc....) ELECTRONIC 1975-79":
    J M Jarre : oxigene
    Tomita: the bermuda triangle
    Vangelis: beaubourg
    Last edited by francesco; 05-01-2005 at 02:53 PM.

i bought 'ein produkt der...' a few years ago after hearing 'der mussolini' and thinking WOW, listened to it and found it a bit meh (lots of jamming, only this time without solos and more postpunk sounding, hence the kudos presumably), and exchanged it for 'fur immer'....and that was more like it.
    heh but then i love that gigolo comp so my tastes here are a bit on the falco side

Quote Originally Posted by hamarplazt
    As great as the early DAF were, it's nothing compard with the Alles ist Gut/Gold und Liebe/Für Immer-triology
    fi real. Gold Und Liebe is still magnificent.

But um Coil's techno didn't often do it for me -- I never could see why the Snow was supposed to be so good. Windowpane (which I have on autographed clear vinyl, somewhere) was alright but mainly for the video. And The Wheel / the Wheal was of course fantastic. But whole albums of noodly downtempo electronica just passed me by -- no character when compared with, say, Godhead <-> Deathead.

No, Coil was better when they were doing hardcore, as in their mix of NIN's Gave Up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2stepfan
    But um Coil's techno didn't often do it for me -- -- no character when compared with, say, Godhead <-> Deathead.
    Or Cathedral in Flames... I underrated Scatology, the second side is magnificent...

Quote Originally Posted by 2stepfan
    No, Coil was better when they were doing hardcore, as in their mix of NIN's Gave Up
    Or "Closer to God" NIN remix (from the Main titles of "Seven")

To close one circle there is definitely a great influence of Krautrock in many of the last Coil records, a couple of tracks on Musick to play in the Dark 1 & 2 are heavy Tangerine Dream influenced, also many bits of Moon's Milk or Astral Disaster have a krautrock feeling.

Also NWW are obviously Krautrock influenced (no big surprise here, expecially if you know the infamous NWW list on the first album). Steven Stapleton United Diares once printed a very good Guru Guru lp of inedits and live versions (and also a Asmus Tietchen lp and some Anima, if memory help).

A great Krautrock album that's outside of the canon is the magnificent Annexus Quam "Osmose" , on Ohr no less, 1970. Avoid the second album, not bad but not so great.
    Last edited by francesco; 05-01-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco
    Late '70 TD is interesting, sure? Even "Cyclone"?
    They begin to repeat themselves towards the end of the 70s, as well as they try make more complex compositions with less improvisation/repetitive sequencer freakout. And that's not to their advantage. Tangram and Force Majeur have their moments, but I never really listen to them anymore. Cyclone is an odd one, much dissed by traditional TD fans because of the vocal tracks on side 1. A kind of heavy handed electronic prog that I actually find charming in a perverse way - something gone interestingly wrong. The long track on side 2 is more traditional 70s TD, and pretty decent if not among their very best.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco
    but who i am to tell since i own those:
    TOP 3 "MASTERY OF MONEY (you gotta have a lotta to buy VCS3, ARP, etc....) ELECTRONIC 1975-79":
    J M Jarre : oxigene
    Tomita: the bermuda triangle
    Vangelis: beabeourg
    Hey, Tomita. Got lots of his stuff, though not Bermuda Triangle. His first two (Snowflakes are Dancing (Debussy) and Pictures at an Exhibition) are classics, it's basically electronic orchestrations of piano music, but at the same time all moog grotesquery. What makes him great is that he usually have quite good taste in classical music, avoiding the obvious hits of so many classics-gone-synth records. On Cosmos he transforms the Star Wars theme to silly, fluffy cartoon music.

beabeourg - love that one, all bleeps and blurps and metallic clangs, and still soothing. Stockhausen in the womb.

As for Jarre, well, that's a whole different chapter. Few people realise, or want to admit, the impact this guy have actually had on the development of electronic music. Much, much more influential than anything ever coming from Detroit. This is where most of us started. He could be very cheesy, but so could the Prodigy.