Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Krautrock Bit Me In The Ass

Quote Originally Posted by oblioblioblio View Post
    I've been utterly fascinated and inspired by their resistance, and shocked at the power used by the state to squash them
    no offense but are you serious with that dude? not really the space to get into it, but the RAF was bullshit. its violence was counterproductive and accomplished nothing, and even worse it gave the state the perfect excuse to exercise harsh, widespread repression, mostly against things have nothing to do w/RAF. it also drove away many otherwise sympathetic people. honestly RAF hardliners bare a large chunk of the blame for the post-60s decline of the German radical left (this situation isn't unique to Germany. Italy especially had a lot of parallels). seriously, read anything about the autonomen of the 80s and how determined German radicals were not to make the same mistakes of falling into the same trap and giving authorities a great excuse to quash a mass movement. I saw that movie too and it nailed some things, like the tremendous alienation post-WWII German youth felt from their Nazi era parents, how charged the atmosphere was, but it was also romanticized bullshit.

seriously tho, fuck the RAF, fuck all secretive vanguardist violence and self-serving hardline militants. so many better things to be inspired by.

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    So, any Krautrock book recommendations, especially things that go beyond biography/hagiography?

Thinking of this for a start but something broader would be good...
    http://www.amazon.ca/Kraftwerk-Music...3988215&sr=1-5

I re-watched the BBC's the other night and I want more on the social side (post-war reinvention, fighting Nazi amnesia, building collectives) and maybe the overlaps with other arts (e.g. with Herzong, Fassbinder, etc.).
    Julian Cope's Krautrocksampler is excellent if you havent already : http://dangerousminds.net/comments/j...er_in_pdf_form

Quote Originally Posted by padraig (u.s.) View Post
    no offense but are you serious with that dude? not really the space to get into it, but the RAF was bullshit. its violence was counterproductive and accomplished nothing, and even worse it gave the state the perfect excuse to exercise harsh, widespread repression, mostly against things have nothing to do w/RAF. it also drove away many otherwise sympathetic people. honestly RAF hardliners bare a large chunk of the blame for the post-60s decline of the German radical left (this situation isn't unique to Germany. Italy especially had a lot of parallels). seriously, read anything about the autonomen of the 80s and how determined German radicals were not to make the same mistakes of falling into the same trap and giving authorities a great excuse to quash a mass movement. I saw that movie too and it nailed some things, like the tremendous alienation post-WWII German youth felt from their Nazi era parents, how charged the atmosphere was, but it was also romanticized bullshit.

seriously tho, fuck the RAF, fuck all secretive vanguardist violence and self-serving hardline militants. so many better things to be inspired by.
    I am serious that I found elements of their resistance inspiring. I don't plan to picking up a machine gun, but I think to have a group challenge the fundamental structure of a corrupt nation is an important thing, whatever mistakes were made.

I mean for sure, I did the moral maths, and I believe many of the original members did too. And yes, I think it's true that ultimately they achieved nothing concrete, certainly not their original aims, although I think that many truths were revealed through their actions.

And I see some of the original members as valuable human beings. Especially when I think about the power of the state, the ability for sick and violent behaviour to be enacted through official channels, and the apathy and powerlessness of many individuals. I don't agree with violence of any kind, but to some extent the RAF were bringing violence that was being implemented by the state behind closed doors or in foreign countries onto domestic soil, rather than being solely responsible for bringing it into being.
    Last edited by oblioblioblio; 23-03-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Excellent, thanks. Lots to check out here. Grabbed the Cope book and the blog post for later reading. Curious about Krautrock: Cosmic Rays and its Legacy. It doesn't look all that substantial but there are pieces by David Stubbs, Erik Davis, and others.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

"also, one last thing, not krautrock but I listened to Aphrodite's Child (Vangelis' original band) - 666 the other day and that is a crazy record, a 1 1/2 hr double LP concept album about the Book of Revelations. a lot of it sucks/is gratuitous but there are also some really great acid rock passages combined with Greek folk melodies and/or instruments and some cool Berlin School type early electronic passages. also, it has one song that is just 5 minutes of a woman shrieking extremely orgasmically over a clattering mess of drums, no other instruments. absolutely terrible, but something everyone must hear once b/c words really can't do it justice. here"
    666 is a classic. My favourite AC track though (ok except for 4 Horsemen maybe) is Funky Mary the backwards b-side to, er, I can't remember but one of their singles. Crazy music.

Also, to bring it back to krautrock (kinda) in a circular way I really like Krisma's motorik stuff, allegedly with some Vangelis (or maybe his brother depending on what you read) involvement

check the amazing holger czukay "cinema" collection

https://www.groenland.com/product/holger-czukay-cinema/

i have the cd box - everything you want pretty much

(wipes away tear) god bless the bastard