Non-Prescription Drugs

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Those were indeed more civilised days in some ways.

I reckon the UK should turn itself into a massive drugs haven. Come on Gordon, where's your vision? Getting faced is obviously what we do best, as a Scot you should know this. Everything legal and regulated, we could turn the economy around! Tourism would be off the scale. Let's show the world what makes Britain great!

The awesome thing about those days was that there was still no stupid moralistic prohibition against being on a drug for life. So once you got on morphine or laudanum or whatever, you just did it till you died. No biggie. Nobody cared.

Now we have to spend all this time and money and energy trying to make sure people get off it, as if a) that works, and b) it matters anyway. What the hell does it matter, really, when you get right down to it?

If it weren't illegal in the first place, you could sell regulated doses per day to people, and then you wouldn't get people recreating at ridiculous doses and going on downward spirals and ODing left and right.

The stupid moralistic idea that people are better off without injesting any kinds of chemicals annoys the fuck out of me. It really does. We *are* chemicals. Everything we injest is made of chemicals, even spinach ffs.

Edit: U.S. doctors sometimes prescribe ibuprofen or APAP/NSAIDs, just at higher doses than you can buy per unit over the counter. So for instance, you can only get a "maximum strength" Tylenol tablet at 500mg over the counter, whereas a doctor can prescribe you a 1000 mg tablet and give you 2 qd.

Last edited:

grizzleb

The stupid moralistic idea that people are better off without injesting any kinds of chemicals annoys the fuck out of me. It really does. We *are* chemicals. Everything we injest is made of chemicals, even spinach ffs.
An extension of this is the idea that (for example) ketamine is specifically a drug for horses. The logic behind this boggles the mind.

'I wouldn't take ket, it's a horse tranquiliser'....er yeh, horses came up with it in a lab you plum.

massrock

It was developed for humans originally anyway wasn't it? And it's relatively safe as anaesthetics go, still used in paediatrics I think. Adults were enjoying it too much, same reason you don't get N2O at the dentist any more.

grizzleb

It was developed for humans originally anyway wasn't it?
What does that even matter is my point.

A chemical is a chemical is a chemical, whether it was developed for tranquilising horses or stopping women from having morning sickness during pregnancy.

massrock

That information is relevant I think, it's only because you already know that Ketamine is relatively safe for humans that you can say it's dumb to say it's dodgy because it's a horse tranq.

I'd rather take a drug that was developed and tested safe for humans than munch something designed for another species.

Theobromine has a vaguely pleasant stimulating effect on humans but can kill dogs, for instance. And that's like, "natural."

grizzleb

That information is relevant I think, it's only because you already know that Ketamine is relatively safe for humans that you can say it's dumb to say it's dodgy because it's a horse tranq.

I'd rather take a drug that was developed and tested safe for humans than munch something designed for another species.

Theobromine has a vaguely pleasant stimulating effect on humans but can kill dogs, for instance. And that's like, "natural."
Well incase you missed my subtle point at the end there, Thalidomide was tested and designed for humans wasn't it? I'd take stuff that I know isn't going to damage me in any way, but whether or not it has any effect on another animal really has NO relevance, or it's design. By extension, neither does whether or not it is "natural".

massrock

I dunno, I see your point but I think you are being a bit disingenuous.

If I went to the vet and she gave me some pills for my ailing horse (or dog or cat for that matter) I'd probably think better of trying a couple for myself. See what I mean? And especially when yr talking about a tranquilliser for a big animal. Which it isn't but I can see why that might be a concern, albeit an ill informed one. Not that Ketamine is all good, anyway...