Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimal techno blowing up

Default Minimal techno blowing up

I reckon it could happen. Think about electro in 1997-2000, such an underground scene, you had I.F., Dopplereffekt, a few tracks on Gigolo, it was the ultimate 'spotters genre, since most other dancefloor forms had been commercially exploited to some extent.
    Look at minimal now, it's in pretty much the same position, I mean it has been around since Richy Hawtin, perhaps early bleep techno, etc...but being around ages didn't stop electro crossing over. Considering how distinctive that sort of Kompakt/Tresor sound is and how open the genre is to absorbing other styles within it's bare-bones framework then a kind of populist development could be achieved. What really fascinates me is the idea of minimalism, so opposed to the current mainstream of vulgar over-design and over consumption, so much potential to strike a chord with people feeling a general malaise regarding popular culture at the moment.

i think it already has to some extent.

the big club genres here right now are that blend of hard house and electro, and minimal techno.

when i went to the WMC in miami this year, i expected nothing but commerical, ibiza style club house. what i got was a LOT of minimal techno. plus, a little breaks and jungle thrown in, so i was happy. but i was suprised then to see how many people were into minimal techno, especially "clubbers".

and now.... its everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    I reckon it could happen.
    Do you mean "mainstream" blow-up, or "clubs everywhere" blow-up? If the latter, Freakaholic is right; it's everywhere. If the former, not a chance in hell. No hooks, no videos, no radio.
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Napalm View Post
    Do you mean "mainstream" blow-up, or "clubs everywhere" blow-up? If the latter, Freakaholic is right; it's everywhere. If the former, not a chance in hell. No hooks, no videos, no radio.
    yes, agreed. certainly in terms of the uk (and i suspect, many other countries) its crossed over in a big way.

partly because the commercial end is in such dire straits, the underground has become the mainsteam.

didn't mixmag have a minimal techno special the other month?

No hooks, no videos, no radio.
    I don't think it's going to happen, but wasn't electro a bit like that before electroclash branched off it, brought in hooks and vocals and videos and went massive? Villalobosclash, hmmm, I'm not sure if that's the best idea I've heard in ages or the worst...

Do you mean "mainstream" blow-up, or "clubs everywhere" blow-up? If the former, not a chance in hell. No hooks, no videos, no radio.
    I take your point, and Slothrop's villalobosclash is a funny thought, but there have been some hooks haven't there? Superpitcher's Here Comes Love certainly had hooks, and that came out March 2004. (Unless someone will object that the hooks were over schaffel beats rather than villalobos-style minimal.) Ada has melodies. There have been some pretty catchy remixes of the Quarks et al ("I walk," for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    I don't think it's going to happen, but wasn't electro a bit like that before electroclash branched off it, brought in hooks and vocals and videos and went massive? Villalobosclash, hmmm, I'm not sure if that's the best idea I've heard in ages or the worst...
    Villalobosclash! Awesome. Plus it would be a total break from rock, as a lot of the electroclash stuff had a punk/new wave influence, whereas 'lobosclash (heh) could take it's cue from elsewhere...I'm not sure exactly, that's why it could be interesting.

And yeah, it is making headway into hip dance nights like Fabric and the like but you have to remember that's like becoming a big fish in a small pond.

And yeah, it is making headway into hip dance nights like Fabric and the like but you have to remember that's like becoming a big fish in a small pond.
    If you haven't already, you should consult the many excellent ILM threads on minimal techno and minimal house, the archives of Sherburne's blog and "This Month In" columns, Geeta's blog (The Original Soundtrack), and so on and so forth. The impression that one gets is that minimal has been huge -- more than merely making headway -- for years now. Not only in Koln and Berlin. But obv I emphasize 'impression,' since I'm not there.
    Last edited by tate; 13-09-2006 at 05:05 PM.

Yeah, I'm up in Liverpool and the only decent nights around here are Chibuku and Voodoo, maybe Bugged Out, Ladytron used to run a good night called Evol, but it became just another indie club. There seems to be millions of indie nights actually, and cheeseball scouse house of course.
    I get a bit jealous because people can just stick a couple of guitar bands on and their place is rammed, I wish it was like that with (good) DJs.
    Maybe I should move to Berlin...

Yes, and Sherburne is wicked. I know minimal has been kicking around for a bit but it could really do with a more definate shape, or dare I say "image".

Yes, and Sherburne is wicked. I know minimal has been kicking around for a bit but it could really do with a more definate shape, or dare I say "image".
    I dunno, I think Perlon has been representing the genre well for the last 5 years or so, and image-wise it's very very strong.

Maybe not in the grander scheme of things yet. But at the very least, if any label's gonna carry it thru, it's Perlon.

Did I mention that I think Perlon are the bomb?

But yes, swears, you should move to Berlin. From your posts thus far, I think it's safe to say that you would fucking love it...

Quote Originally Posted by blunt View Post
    I dunno, I think Perlon has been representing the genre well for the last 5 years or so, and image-wise it's very very strong.

Maybe not in the grander scheme of things yet. But at the very least, if any label's gonna carry it thru, it's Perlon.

Did I mention that I think Perlon are the bomb?

But yes, swears, you should move to Berlin. From your posts thus far, I think it's safe to say that you would fucking love it...
    correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't perlon more on the glitch / microhouse axis or is that just splitting hairs?

blunt: Ahhh...Perlon the Superlongevity comps are excellent, I've been meaning to get 'em on vinyl for a while now.

bassnation:I think what's supercool about Perlon is that they twist elements of glitch and microhouse into more dancefloor friendly shapes, so you get the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't perlon more on the glitch / microhouse axis or is that just splitting hairs?
    Wiki has an entry. So clearly written by a German! (Cf the plural and capitalized "Percussions" mid-sentence; Germany and Cologne coming first in all of the lists; attributing the earliest "echoes" to Oval; and no mention of Akufen in the paragraph on microsamples, but instead demoting him to the discography, bah!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microhouse

I'd say minimal is huge in the larger cities around the U.K. and the rest of Europe; indie reigns supreme everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    Hmmmmm.

Not splitting hairs, I don't think. Hombre Ojo and a lot of Panytec stuff is definitely glitchy, which I love. I've always found there to be something innately funky about microhouse; each cut just makes you want to jack your body, eh?

But, say, Dandy Jack and Villalobos, and certainly the latest Superloooongevity compilation, are comparitively glitch-free.