Mel and Kim

The first Linx album (Intuition) is a somewhat neglected Britfunk classic.

Just picked-up a mint condition copy for 49p at the local PDSA charity shop! still in shrink wrap and complete with a nice poster insert w/ lyrics. I love the title track anyway, but never heard the album before. Gonna give it a spin 2nite!

'down by the docks' is the one you need - underground gay disco classic (for fairly obvious reasons apart from it being a great dance track) - can post an mp3 if you like

Seriously?! Yeah, okay - why not!?!:D

cheers bro'...yep, that's a nice little disco number for sure! what year was that one?

I'd forgotten how good Linx's 'Your Lying' was. We all know what David Grant is doing these days...but whatever happened to Sketch?!

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Has anyone ever done a book on BritSoul? I'd really like to know what was going on in some of these guys heads. Lol especially Leeeeeeee John. My sister got me his autograph when she used to work at Sanrizz the hairdressers. It was such a wicked autograph.

I haven't heard anything of Sketch since he played on "Coup" by 23 Skidoo back in '84.

looking at the credits on my 'Gospel Comes To New Guinea' CD collection - looks like Peter 'Sketch' Martin was writing/recording with 23 Skidoo up till 1986, on tracks like 'Assassin' and 'Ooze'.

I notice he got absolutely no credit for Chemical Bros. 'Block Rockin' Beats', though - those thieving bastards!!

john eden

male pale and stale
At an appearance on arty BBC2 programme The Riverside Show [23 skidoo] met Sketch, then the bass player for pop-funkers, Linx. The interview, hilariously conducted with the aid of repeating tape loops so the interviewer’s questions were repeated back to him, was never transmitted. "We met Sketch just after we were in our weirdest period and everyone else was going" – Alex makes the sign of the cross – "’ssss!’ and he was like ‘wow, that’s really interesting!’ That was when we’d gone our farthest away and were starting to orbit back in and Sketch was sort of zoning out."

"That’s what intrigued me about these guys, because this was the absolute antithesis of what I’d just come out of," recalls Sketch. "We’d been waiting for something like 18 months for Trevor Horn to do the third Linx album. Why were we waiting for one guy? And it was because he’d been successful and because Chrysalis thought we needed to move up a gear. They had totally turned their backs on that, really, and that was really refreshing. They were younger than me and they’d already made that decision and I was already pretty anti the whole scene that I’d just come out of."

http://www.djhistory.com/bb/displayStory.php?id=44

Kind of amazing fluidity of movement there in the early 80s. UK Funk and Trevor Horn to associations with P-Orridge and industrial - and it didn't just stop there because Skidoo got the Aswad horns section in and then later mutated into Ronin, part of UK hip hop.

There isn't much of this these days, that I know of.

Last edited:
wow, jolly interesting read. i guess that makes the position clear on the Chemical Bros thing. Nice quote from Mal, too. cheers John!

so Sketch is still involved with Ronin/Skidoo?

john eden

male pale and stale
Again in Pete Waterman's biography - and what's weirdest is that I haven;t read it for yeaaaaaaaaaars, but it must have made a deep impression on me somewhere, which scares me as well - he says that Pete Burns was his favourite person to work with, the one who he thought was the biggest star.

I just read it a few weeks back - it's an amazing book, really great!

Client Eastwood

He also pulled out this. Which was a massive underground and then commercial hit.

All the rare groove guys were wetting themselves over this tune. I think it was released before the Mel and Kim/Risk Astley material.

swears

preppy-kei
One thing I always wondered about the "Roadblock" story, did all the rare groove hipsters actually believe that it was an original early 70s funk record? 'Cause the production sounds pure late 80s, it could be off an Amiga game or something without the vocals.

"By George, even London grooves!"

Client Eastwood

One thing I always wondered about the "Roadblock" story, did all the rare groove hipsters actually believe that it was an original early 70s funk record? 'Cause the production sounds pure late 80s, it could be off an Amiga game or something without the vocals.

"By George, even London grooves!"
- - my sample minds gone blank - I heard it but where is it from ?

But from what I remember it was around as a white label in the clubs then got a wider release. It was the curiosity factor that made it so popular, like you say it wasnt a original 70s but worked well in rare groove sets.

Talking of Pete Waterman anyone remember Hitman and Her (Pete Waterman and Micheala Strachan) go round UK clubs with TV camera for a live recording to be shown on TV late at night.

Hold tight my white pants

slow jam

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Skidoo got the Aswad horns section in and then later mutated into Ronin, part of UK hip hop.

I didn't know that.

So is it the aswad horn section on Coup?

BTW, I want to re-use the apocalypse now sample they used on FUGI for this new track as a sort of homage to 23Skidoo...

In the spirit of this thread... does anyone know any connections between A Certain Ratio (especially the brilliant Waterline 12") and Mel and Kim??? There must be one somewhere...

labrat

hot on the heels of love
- Talking of Pete Waterman anyone remember Hitman and Her (Pete Waterman and Micheala Strachan) go round UK clubs with TV camera for a live recording to be shown on TV late at night.

be-ave!!
strange character/dancer Ghostbuster has troubled me ever since...

crackerjack

Talking of Pete Waterman anyone remember Hitman and Her (Pete Waterman and Micheala Strachan) go round UK clubs with TV camera for a live recording to be shown on TV late at night.

Invariably with 4 or 5 PWL tracks/show (or is it just that all rubbish pop dance sounded like a PWL record in those days?)