Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhythm and Sound

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    who was it that hooked us up with that so totally exclusive VIP live R'n'S recording?

it's been like, a year... is it OK to share now or no?
    It was me, and i'd prefer if you didn't. I feel pretty bad about even having it up here, but it's just so damn good. The link should still be on dissensus somewhere, if someone on here wants to dig it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jed_ View Post
    slothrop - i'll be at the sub on friday, gimme a shout of you decide to go (message me on here maybe?) i don't like the arches (pressure is pretty horribe, ned-wise too) or the ferry (no atmosphere) i reckon this night will be approx, hm, 150 x better than the other two.

anyway, what are you on? i think there's always good nights on in glasgow. many more than i can afford to attend. open your eyes!

The 'you wait ages' comment was more based on the fact that I'm not in Glasgow very often than on a judgement of the scene there.

In the end, I went to Breakage and Equinox. I see what you mean about the Ferry (it's a bit on the Ikea side) and the crowd could have been bigger, but Equinox was pretty damn fantastic.

Hope you had a good night too...

Default Perceptions of Rhythm & Sound

Would be interested in hearing what the more traditional reggae headz think of Rhythm & Sound. I know plenty of friends who love them but the majority come from a more electronic background and many have followed the transition from the Basic Channel work.

Are they seen as outsiders or something more integral to the goings on...on a similar note, would be interested in how some of the recent set of remixes were received given that these seem to stretch the parameters of 'reggae' a bit more

of course they are "outsiders" to jamaicans. but i think many reggae heads respect what they do. i personally didn't like the Seemiyah remixes very much at all...

Label of the month: Basic Channel - https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3365

Both Ernestus and von Oswald agreed to speak to Resident Advisor for this piece but preferred to keep their interviews off-the-record. In a nod to the egalitarian streak behind their various enterprises—Dubplates & Mastering, Basic Channel, Chain Reaction—one prefers not to speak without the other present. Neither are keen on laying out a philosophy that should come across to anyone who picks up a Maurizio 12-inch or one of Chain Reaction's immediately recognizable "metal box" CDs.

Instead, Ernestus pointed me towards a few key companions over the years, including Carl Craig, Robert Henke and Hallucinator's Edward George and Anna Piva. These artists discussed Basic Channel's music and legacy in essentially the same language. This is a testament to the sturdiness of von Oswald and Ernestus's philosophy, which favors what is obscured or omitted as much as what exists.

This piece highlights 25 key productions from Basic Channel's extended catalog. We used current and archival interviews in an attempt to shed light on the common threads that emerge and recede throughout the labels' discographies, like a murky, propulsive sequence in one of Basic Channel's timeless productions.

That piece is good. I’ve completely lost track of the recent project though apart from the odd tune on the excellent On The Wire show.

What’s good from the last few years?
    Didn’t one of them do a jazz quartet or something?

I dunno how far back you lost track so you may already know this stuff, but here are a few that stand out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

There was the Moritz von Oswald Trio with Max Loderbauer and Tony Allen (and guests like Vladislav Delay to Carl Craig) which wasn't so much jazz as improv/"free electronics", some interesting things but not amazing. even further afield from Berlin dub techno, he also had an album of roots music of Kyrgyzstan (https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/21641). he had a stroke 10 years ago, which slowed him down a bit for awhile but I believe he recovered fairly well.

Ernestus has mostly concentrated on jeri-jeri Ndagga, the African music project.

I'm glad they stopped releasing music on basic channel and chain reaction, best to leave them at their peak as perfectly formed entities. would have been very hard to maintain the level of quality, and risk watering down the label brands with lesser releases.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Lock The Studio, Turn Out The Lights: Basic Channel 25 Years On - https://thequietus.com/articles/2449...ew-anniversary

... it's telling that the entire Basic Channel series (alongside the pair's many other records as Maurizio, Round and Rhythm & Sound) remain consistently in vinyl press via Ernestus' Dubplates & Mastering studio: it's a gesture that says that this music is no historical document, but is still living and breathing, alive with surface crackle, to be handled, played and boomed out through massive speakers.

- - -

... grounded in dub's booming bass resonance and steeped in blue-grey electrical crackle, gesture towards a blossoming of new possibilities from somewhere deep within the earth

- - -

"One quality in music that interests me is transcending or having a relevance beyond the cultural context it derives from," said Ernestus in an interview a few years ago. In a sense, those globally-minded collaborative approaches remain some of the most active facets of the pair's legacy now, even though Ernestus and von Oswald haven't released any new music together for about a decade. For example, with the internet forming increasingly global networks, you can hear echoes of the pair's respectful and considered approach to cross-border collaboration in the work of many current artists and organisations that seek to work across cultural, economic and geographical distance. Equally, listening to the Basic Channel series in 2018 — and still with a mind to the particularities of its origin story — does seem to offer some critical reflection on the electronic music world now, in that its imagining of techno as a wholly open-ended and still-subversive form jars against the increasingly locked-down culture and infrastructure that characterises the genre (and much of the electronic music world more broadly) today. Curiously, this ends up infusing their records with a pang of nostalgia, for what might have been or crucially what might still be possible, even as the music itself forcefully resists such emotions. Looking forward, then, these remain vital, potent recordings for thinking through the kind of agency and presence we might want experimental music and art to have in this complex, ambiguous moment.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Lock The Studio, Turn Out The Lights: Basic Channel 25 Years On - https://thequietus.com/articles/2449...ew-anniversary

... it's telling that the entire Basic Channel series (alongside the pair's many other records as Maurizio, Round and Rhythm & Sound) remain consistently in vinyl press via Ernestus' Dubplates & Mastering studio: it's a gesture that says that this music is no historical document, but is still living and breathing, alive with surface crackle, to be handled, played and boomed out through massive speakers.
    one of the first things I did when I first got into electronic music and techno was buy the basic channel catalog of 12" singles. foundational. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Last edited by Leo; 10-03-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    There was the Moritz von Oswald Trio with Max Loderbauer and Tony Allen (and guests like Vladislav Delay to Carl Craig) which wasn't so much jazz as improv/"free electronics", some interesting things but not amazing. even further afield from Berlin dub techno, he also had an album of roots music of Kyrgyzstan (https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/21641). he had a stroke 10 years ago, which slowed him down a bit for awhile but I believe he recovered fairly well.

Ernestus has mostly concentrated on jeri-jeri Ndagga, the African music project.

I'm glad they stopped releasing music on basic channel and chain reaction, best to leave them at their peak as perfectly formed entities. would have been very hard to maintain the level of quality, and risk watering down the label brands with lesser releases.

that kyrgyz album is sick, but maybe im biased.

Thanks guys, will investigate today!

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    that kyrgyz album is sick, but maybe im biased.
    More Kirghiz Light? What is this please?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    More Kirghiz Light? What is this please?
    some background here: https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/21641

Thanks for the YT clips, version - all great, but Blue Dub stood out. Will check more of the Trio stuff... dipped in and sounds ok...