Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rhythm and Sound

Default Rhythm and Sound

Has anyone seen them mix? How good are they? They're at Sub Club in Glasgow on saturday playing "many aspects of reggae influenced dancehall forms" with Tikiman toasting. But Equinox and Breakage are on at the Ferry the same night. As is Richie Hawtin at the Arches. *decisions*

You wait ages for a good night and then three come along at once...

I saw R&S in London and was dead disappointed . Thought they'd play lots of Wackies-type stuff, but it was all pretty balnd, I'm sad to report. Maybe I caught them on an off-night, cos usually I love everything they do.

Mind you, I could say very similar things about Hawtin, the only time I saw him....

i've never seen them, but the live recording i have with scion and tikiman (@ meeting house square) is very good.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

Quote Originally Posted by nomos View Post
    i've never seen them, but the live recording i have with scion and tikiman (@ meeting house square) is very good.
    Ah yes, sooo good. If you're like me, you got that from bassbin dj extraordinaire Don Rosco's link to it here @ diss . . . he recorded it himself at the DEAF festival, iirc, and didn't want anyone sending it 'round. (big thanks, DR!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    Has anyone seen them mix? How good are they?
    I saw them (well, one of them) DJing at the closing 2006 PS1 Warm Up here in NYC a few weeks ago. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. I'm a huge fan of the R&S output, but the dub and reggae tracks that got played didn't strike me as all that special and really didn't suit the event. Carl Craig had been on immediately before and managed to get the entire crowd dancing despite our being outdoors in pissing rain...R&S kind of killed the vibe. Maybe with a different crowd (and w/ Tikiman on the mic) would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by tate View Post
    Ah yes, sooo good. If you're like me, you got that from bassbin dj extraordinaire Don Rosco's link to it here @ diss . . . he recorded it himself at the DEAF festival, iirc, and didn't want anyone sending it 'round. (big thanks, DR!)
    that's the one i'd forgotten where it came from. thanks.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

Was at that Scion & Tikiman gig in Dublin mentioned above (which was excellent) but if that's what you're really in to and expecting from a Rhythm & Sound set you'll be disappointed. I caught them last year with Tikiman in tow but found the whole thing pretty underwhelming. I'd kind of guessed it anyway but was still pretty pissed at not hearing them drop any of their own productions. So if planning on going to experience the depth of your favourite Basic Channel / Burial Mix / Rhythm & Sound tracks, forget it. But if Wackies and the like is your thing, you'll probably love it.

Quote Originally Posted by smn View Post
    But if Wackies and the like is your thing, you'll probably love it.
    Love Wackies, but didn't hear any of that influence in the set they played in London. Was very weird, really.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Love Wackies, but didn't hear any of that influence in the set they played in London. Was very weird, really.
    What sort of stuff was it?

Hmmm... looks like Equinox and Breakage might have the edge atm.

Quote Originally Posted by Slothrop View Post
    What sort of stuff was it?

Hmmm... looks like Equinox and Breakage might have the edge atm.
    Well whatever you choose, and good luck (grin), you can at least take comfort in knowing that one can't really go wrong by hearing Equinox. Marlon is one of the finest jungle DJs in the history of the genre, and unlike so many others who have taken the low road to fast cash dnb cheese-noise or quit altogether, the guy remains absolutely RELENTLESS and uncompromising in his knowledge, vision, and presentation of quality jungle, new and old alike. From the most austere drumfunk to all of those beautiful Skanna plates he loves so much, Equi's selection, his brilliant mixing, his support of young talent (Breakage's record was made on a computer borrow from him, iirc). . . there's just no one quite like him in terms of generosity of spirt and wisdom. IMHO, of course.

who was it that hooked us up with that so totally exclusive VIP live R'n'S recording?

it's been like, a year... is it OK to share now or no?

When I saw them live, they did a perhaps over-long but certainly immaculately rootsy reggae selection. I enjoyed it a lot as it goes, but it was somewhat trainspottery, and certainly had nothing of the depth of Rhythm and Sound's own records.

slothrop - i'll be at the sub on friday, gimme a shout of you decide to go (message me on here maybe?) i don't like the arches (pressure is pretty horribe, ned-wise too) or the ferry (no atmosphere) i reckon this night will be approx, hm, 150 x better than the other two.

anyway, what are you on? i think there's always good nights on in glasgow. many more than i can afford to attend. open your eyes!

Yeah I've seen R+S once and they dropped basically all Wackies roots tunes and nothing of there own, which was weird and not that exciting. I would much prefer to hear them play all their 10"s back to back, but seems their not trying to do that. Scion on the other hand, which is NOT the two R+S producers but Pete Substance and Rene Vainquer (sp?) doing a laptop thing working with R+S loops, which is what the meeting house thing was, and is pretty great. Pete Substance aka DJ Pete I've played with a few times in Berlin and is a great DJ. He sometimes does sets juggling hiphop and R+B instrumentals which is weird and great.

Default R&S live

I know the thread's gone cold, but can't resist putting in my tuppence ha'penny. I've seen them twice in London in the last year or two - first time at London Bridge and they did a set of 7" dubs, some rather gorgeously tasty, but generally just an enjoyable listen rather than being blown away. Second time was this year at the former Subterranea and lord, lord what a wonderful set. They were joined by Tikiman/Paul St Hilaire and someone else whose name I didn't catch. They played quite a lot of new stuff and mashed it up brilliantly. Big, big speakers, I closed my eyes and danced myself silly. Would jump at the chance to hear them again.

To the good soul/s who mentioned the Scion/Tikiman set - a sincere thank you! Listening to this is a bit of a dream come true.