Rhythm and Sound

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Has anyone seen them mix? How good are they? They're at Sub Club in Glasgow on saturday playing "many aspects of reggae influenced dancehall forms" with Tikiman toasting. But Equinox and Breakage are on at the Ferry the same night. As is Richie Hawtin at the Arches. *decisions*

You wait ages for a good night and then three come along at once...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I saw R&S in London and was dead disappointed :( . Thought they'd play lots of Wackies-type stuff, but it was all pretty balnd, I'm sad to report. Maybe I caught them on an off-night, cos usually I love everything they do.

Mind you, I could say very similar things about Hawtin, the only time I saw him....

nomos

Administrator
i've never seen them, but the live recording i have with scion and tikiman (@ meeting house square) is very good.

tate

Brown Sugar
i've never seen them, but the live recording i have with scion and tikiman (@ meeting house square) is very good.
Ah yes, sooo good. If you're like me, you got that from bassbin dj extraordinaire Don Rosco's link to it here @ diss . . . he recorded it himself at the DEAF festival, iirc, and didn't want anyone sending it 'round. :D (big thanks, DR!)

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Has anyone seen them mix? How good are they?

I saw them (well, one of them) DJing at the closing 2006 PS1 Warm Up here in NYC a few weeks ago. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. I'm a huge fan of the R&S output, but the dub and reggae tracks that got played didn't strike me as all that special and really didn't suit the event. Carl Craig had been on immediately before and managed to get the entire crowd dancing despite our being outdoors in pissing rain...R&S kind of killed the vibe. Maybe with a different crowd (and w/ Tikiman on the mic) would have been better.

nomos

Administrator
Ah yes, sooo good. If you're like me, you got that from bassbin dj extraordinaire Don Rosco's link to it here @ diss . . . he recorded it himself at the DEAF festival, iirc, and didn't want anyone sending it 'round. :D (big thanks, DR!)
that's the one i'd forgotten where it came from. thanks. :)

smn

Was at that Scion & Tikiman gig in Dublin mentioned above (which was excellent) but if that's what you're really in to and expecting from a Rhythm & Sound set you'll be disappointed. I caught them last year with Tikiman in tow but found the whole thing pretty underwhelming. I'd kind of guessed it anyway but was still pretty pissed at not hearing them drop any of their own productions. So if planning on going to experience the depth of your favourite Basic Channel / Burial Mix / Rhythm & Sound tracks, forget it. But if Wackies and the like is your thing, you'll probably love it.

tate

Brown Sugar
What sort of stuff was it?

Hmmm... looks like Equinox and Breakage might have the edge atm.
Well whatever you choose, and good luck (grin), you can at least take comfort in knowing that one can't really go wrong by hearing Equinox. Marlon is one of the finest jungle DJs in the history of the genre, and unlike so many others who have taken the low road to fast cash dnb cheese-noise or quit altogether, the guy remains absolutely RELENTLESS and uncompromising in his knowledge, vision, and presentation of quality jungle, new and old alike. From the most austere drumfunk to all of those beautiful Skanna plates he loves so much, Equi's selection, his brilliant mixing, his support of young talent (Breakage's record was made on a computer borrow from him, iirc). . . there's just no one quite like him in terms of generosity of spirt and wisdom. IMHO, of course. :)

zhao

there are no accidents
who was it that hooked us up with that so totally exclusive VIP live R'n'S recording?

it's been like, a year... is it OK to share now or no?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
When I saw them live, they did a perhaps over-long but certainly immaculately rootsy reggae selection. I enjoyed it a lot as it goes, but it was somewhat trainspottery, and certainly had nothing of the depth of Rhythm and Sound's own records.

jed_

slothrop - i'll be at the sub on friday, gimme a shout of you decide to go (message me on here maybe?) i don't like the arches (pressure is pretty horribe, ned-wise too) or the ferry (no atmosphere) i reckon this night will be approx, hm, 150 x better than the other two.

anyway, what are you on? i think there's always good nights on in glasgow. many more than i can afford to attend. open your eyes!

;)

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
Yeah I've seen R+S once and they dropped basically all Wackies roots tunes and nothing of there own, which was weird and not that exciting. I would much prefer to hear them play all their 10"s back to back, but seems their not trying to do that. Scion on the other hand, which is NOT the two R+S producers but Pete Substance and Rene Vainquer (sp?) doing a laptop thing working with R+S loops, which is what the meeting house thing was, and is pretty great. Pete Substance aka DJ Pete I've played with a few times in Berlin and is a great DJ. He sometimes does sets juggling hiphop and R+B instrumentals which is weird and great.

eleventhvolume

R&S live

I know the thread's gone cold, but can't resist putting in my tuppence ha'penny. I've seen them twice in London in the last year or two - first time at London Bridge and they did a set of 7" dubs, some rather gorgeously tasty, but generally just an enjoyable listen rather than being blown away. Second time was this year at the former Subterranea and lord, lord what a wonderful set. They were joined by Tikiman/Paul St Hilaire and someone else whose name I didn't catch. They played quite a lot of new stuff and mashed it up brilliantly. Big, big speakers, I closed my eyes and danced myself silly. Would jump at the chance to hear them again.

To the good soul/s who mentioned the Scion/Tikiman set - a sincere thank you! Listening to this is a bit of a dream come true.

Don Rosco

who was it that hooked us up with that so totally exclusive VIP live R'n'S recording?

it's been like, a year... is it OK to share now or no?

It was me, and i'd prefer if you didn't. I feel pretty bad about even having it up here, but it's just so damn good. The link should still be on dissensus somewhere, if someone on here wants to dig it out.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
slothrop - i'll be at the sub on friday, gimme a shout of you decide to go (message me on here maybe?) i don't like the arches (pressure is pretty horribe, ned-wise too) or the ferry (no atmosphere) i reckon this night will be approx, hm, 150 x better than the other two.

anyway, what are you on? i think there's always good nights on in glasgow. many more than i can afford to attend. open your eyes!

;)
The 'you wait ages' comment was more based on the fact that I'm not in Glasgow very often than on a judgement of the scene there.

In the end, I went to Breakage and Equinox. I see what you mean about the Ferry (it's a bit on the Ikea side) and the crowd could have been bigger, but Equinox was pretty damn fantastic.

Hope you had a good night too...

run_time

Perceptions of Rhythm & Sound

Would be interested in hearing what the more traditional reggae headz think of Rhythm & Sound. I know plenty of friends who love them but the majority come from a more electronic background and many have followed the transition from the Basic Channel work.

Are they seen as outsiders or something more integral to the goings on...on a similar note, would be interested in how some of the recent set of remixes were received given that these seem to stretch the parameters of 'reggae' a bit more

zhao

there are no accidents
of course they are "outsiders" to jamaicans. but i think many reggae heads respect what they do. i personally didn't like the Seemiyah remixes very much at all...

version

Label of the month: Basic Channel - https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3365

Both Ernestus and von Oswald agreed to speak to Resident Advisor for this piece but preferred to keep their interviews off-the-record. In a nod to the egalitarian streak behind their various enterprises—Dubplates & Mastering, Basic Channel, Chain Reaction—one prefers not to speak without the other present. Neither are keen on laying out a philosophy that should come across to anyone who picks up a Maurizio 12-inch or one of Chain Reaction's immediately recognizable "metal box" CDs.

Instead, Ernestus pointed me towards a few key companions over the years, including Carl Craig, Robert Henke and Hallucinator's Edward George and Anna Piva. These artists discussed Basic Channel's music and legacy in essentially the same language. This is a testament to the sturdiness of von Oswald and Ernestus's philosophy, which favors what is obscured or omitted as much as what exists.

This piece highlights 25 key productions from Basic Channel's extended catalog. We used current and archival interviews in an attempt to shed light on the common threads that emerge and recede throughout the labels' discographies, like a murky, propulsive sequence in one of Basic Channel's timeless productions.