coincidences

tryptych

waiting for a time
^Oh - I agree with you totally. But I'm not sure what makes them any more remarkable than pretty much any other natural phenomena.

I was trying to argue against any "spooky" reasoning behind such co-incidences, whether mystical, or anthropomorphisising of nature.

turtles

in the sea
^Oh - I agree with you totally. But I'm not sure what makes them any more remarkable than pretty much any other natural phenomena.

I was trying to argue against any "spooky" reasoning behind such co-incidences, whether mystical, or anthropomorphisising of nature.
Yeah I second this, I'm not really sure why I ended up coming down so hard on coincidences, i think they're cool and fun, just not necessarily indicative of any deeper significance

DJ PIMP

Everything is changing at once. When we notice it in a moment of synchronicity we call it coincidence.

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
I love 23 too but thats cos my birthday is 23 march

In Brighton one of our hippy teases is a game called 'THATS AMAAAAAAAAAZING' because Brighton is full of hippies that go 'thats amazing...' when you tell them something. e.g. you meet a hippy in the street and you say 'do you like my new llama skin coat' and the hippy says 'thats amaaazing i just had a dream about a llama'.

In the game what you do is pick a word out of the dictionary at random and then you have to say a coincidental thing about the word you've just chosen and then you go 'thats amaaaaaaaaaaazing...'

Its a stupid game .

martin

----
I used to have these all the time, with specific people. The last time was a few years ago, I was literally dreaming that this childhood friend was ringing me and crying about the fact their boyfriend was seeing someone else, then I woke up and a second later my phone text alert went off, and there was a text with their message, saying that they'd discovered their boyfriend was seeing....etc etc.

As for forcing the hand of chance, I suppose you can on a practical physical level ie- if you feel life's passing you by, get off your arse and go and take a chance and do something unusual. In terms of manipulating these coincidences by other means, I don't know - I'm interested in the possibility, though I once took part in some ESP assessment and scored 0 out of 15 (the average person is 2-3 apparently), which means on the good side, I'm invulnerable to psychic attack, on the negative side, I have the empathy and perspective of a half-brick.

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Great post Martin, I've never really made my mind up to be honest - I've seen and done some strange stuff that would lead me to believe (FTHC) it is possible but I can't even sit still for five minutes so figured I'd never bother doing the Abramerlin...

mms

sometimes
I used to have these all the time, with specific people. The last time was a few years ago, I was literally dreaming that this childhood friend was ringing me and crying about the fact their boyfriend was seeing someone else, then I woke up and a second later my phone text alert went off, and there was a text with their message, saying that they'd discovered their boyfriend was seeing....etc etc.

Well thats it isnt it, i was thinking about someone from canada, vaguely famous, never met him or had any need or contact, no crossed friends etc, i'd read a bit about him etc and told a few people about him on tuesday, and within half an hour he'd emailed me.

strang

Last edited:

luka

heres a couple of recent ones. i was sitting by the lea writing some ode to the river god and about how hes mates with a kingfisher that sits on his shoulder and whispers in his ear or something (yeah, what, thats my idea of fun!) and i then saw three kingfishers that day, two in hackney on the lea and one in stratford on one of the bow backs rivers. anyone who walks around there will know thats a coincidence. theres kingfishers about but to see one is rare, 3 is mind blowing.

or heres another one.i was walking through hackney and i saw a cecilia rd. and i thought o, i know a cecilia. but i didnt think much of it until a few minutes later i see this chemist,
j. edmonds and i thought rah, thats her full name, so i crossed the road and went to an internet place and sure enough, there was the first email id had from her for months and months.

or in june 2001 writing about explosions and glass raining down in the sepetmber sun

i got too many of these to be honest, i could keep going for ever and they're all much better than oh, someone rang and i knew who it was. thats not a coincidence, thats common sense.

Woebot

i dont know if allen ginsberg was talking specifically about coincidences when he coined the phrase "starry dynamo" but that's always how i refer to them.

my opinion of them is maybe odd, maybe not.

on the one hand the person experiencing them is going a bit nuts, but less banalely/prosaically they're moving closer to the plateau we call death through the miasma of insanity. travelling away from their body.

I could say something wank like, 'there are no coincidences everything is as it should be for if it wasn't it wouldn't happen?' but what's the point ?

My coincidences come mostly in the form of affirmation and synchronicity after the fact. I'll think something, say it or initiate a course of action instinctively and then maybe a couple of days later I'll recieve confirmation of that being the correct thought/action by a random email a newspaper article or a follow on reaction from someone else.

Martin Dust said:
I'm not going to bite but do you believe it's possible, by any method, to force the hand of chance?

yes probably just by following your instinct and intuition as opposed to rationalising choices using logic and reason.

trust the force luk(a) :)

If a coincidence arises which offers a choice down an unknown path would you take it ?

DJ PIMP

or in june 2001 writing about explosions and glass raining down in the sepetmber sun
luka, was it you that had (has?) the very distinctive observatory-style blog with the poetry and experiences? i used to really enjoy reading it; was always interesting and very intuitive.

would have PMed this but your inbox is full.

luka

heres a couple of recent ones. i was sitting by the lea writing some ode to the river god and about how hes mates with a kingfisher that sits on his shoulder and whispers in his ear or something (yeah, what, thats my idea of fun!) and i then saw three kingfishers that day, two in hackney on the lea and one in stratford on one of the bow backs rivers. anyone who walks around there will know thats a coincidence. theres kingfishers about but to see one is rare, 3 is mind blowing.

or heres another one.i was walking through hackney and i saw a cecilia rd. and i thought o, i know a cecilia. but i didnt think much of it until a few minutes later i see this chemist,
j. edmonds and i thought rah, thats her full name, so i crossed the road and went to an internet place and sure enough, there was the first email id had from her for months and months.

i got too many of these to be honest, i could keep going for ever and they're all much better than oh, someone rang and i knew who it was. thats not a coincidence, thats common sense.

onemanupmanship.

Leo

i have an amazing one from just a few weeks ago but alas, telling it would reveal too much of my personal life (something only a couple of you know about), which i prefer to leave under the cover of "leo". it's a story that involved six separate but dependent incidences of coincidence, and if any one of them had not happened, there would be no story at all.