Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coincidences

Default coincidences

coincidences are happening alot at the moment, really basic ones but all the time, like i just looked at the villalobos interview and it had the word frisbee in it, the moment i saw it, paxman said frisbee on the telly. It's just these type of things apart from when i was thinking about some people i hadn't thought of for a while and saw both of them over the weekend randomly.
    What do you think coincidences are, my mum in her new age glory would say say its some cosmic syncronicity but its a bit purposeless isn't it unless you want to look for patterns in it, which might be fun.. i reckon its neuro bizznizz a bit isn't it?, the brain calculating and highlighting expectations, focussing in on things, but it's happening alot just lately, maybe its tiredness too.
    Last edited by mms; 25-09-2006 at 09:30 PM.

You create the patterns in your own mind, millions of random events are perceived and you imagine significance in them based on totally arbitrary conclusions.

I've always enjoyed it, 23 haunts me every single day

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Dust View Post
    I've always enjoyed it, 23 haunts me every single day
    ha ha but gutted it's almost always pointless and insignificant.

at the moment...

Not always, there are times when "it's" really shown it's self to useful, much like magick, the stuff that is useful could be made into a double side A5 leaflet.

If you work at it you can take it beyond the a-ha moment, but it is hard because it gets into some serious headfuck...

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    You create the patterns in your own mind, millions of random events are perceived and you imagine significance in them based on totally arbitrary conclusions.

Do you tho or do these patterns exist externally?

Not always, there are times when "it's" really shown it's self to useful, much like magick, the stuff that is useful could be made into a double side A5 leaflet.

If you work at it you can take it beyond the a-ha moment, but it is hard because it gets into some serious headfuck...
    well yes i quite agree, picking out the patterns in it, the intent. i've been ignoring it a wee bit i think.

Thing is with coincidences is that you really notice them when they happen, but you never notice all the other times when coincidences don't happen. I mean how many times have you been reading a word and not had someone on tv say it? How many times have you thought of people you haven't seen for a while, and continued to not see them? This happens all the time, but you don't notice it, you only notice the weird occasional coincidences.

So yes, occasionally things coincide in ways that have interesting meaning to people, but that's just probability. Unlikely events do happen, just not that often; however people tend to only notice the unlikely events, while ignoring the constant stream of non-coincidences, which makes the coincidences seem comparatively more frequent and important.
    Last edited by turtles; 26-09-2006 at 02:15 AM.

Coincidences do my head in.
    Burroughs is really good about them though if you're on this track, It's all in 'The Adding Machine'
    http://www.amazon.com/Adding-Machine.../dp/1559702109
    which I really enjoyed when I read it, it's his book of essays, so it's kinda Burroughs without the emotion or the art, which is no bad thing. He talks alot about them and what they mean to him.
    I find coincidences turn one totally schizo if you think about them too much, so ended up just thinking that it's like the universe waving 'hi!' at you, making you remember you're alive. I bet they don't happen when you're dead.
    They happen more when you do drugs lol, I don't know what that means though, or what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by turtles View Post
    So yes, occasionally things coincide in ways that have interesting meaning to people, but that's just probability. Unlikely events do happen, just not that often; however people tend to only notice the unlikely events, while ignoring the constant stream of non-coincidences, which makes the coincidences seem comparatively more frequent and important.
    What a ridiculous statement to make, I guess your life must be on rails then?

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    well yes i quite agree, picking out the patterns in it, the intent. i've been ignoring it a wee bit i think.
    The thing is, it knows you're ignoring it so get ready
    Last edited by Martin Dust; 26-09-2006 at 03:41 PM.

I think the universe has better things to do than wave "Hi!" at puny earthlings.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    I think the universe has better things to do than wave "Hi!" at puny earthlings.
    Really? If I was the universe, I'd pick on hapless individuals at random and REALLY freak them out, just for a laugh, like.

What a ridiculous statement to make, I guess your life must be on rails then?
    Umm, i'm actually not quite sure what you mean by "on rails" there--are we talking railway rails? As in my life is totally deterministic, like a train on its tracks. Not trying to be cheeky, i'm honestly a bit confused. I think something was lost crossing the atlantic there.

Anyway, to restate my ridiculous statement, all I'm saying is that tonnes of random events happen everyday, but most of them are completely unremarkable. Every now and then though some random event will happen that has a particular significance to someone and it will be interpreted as a coincidence. But all it is is just one random event among a large large string of random events that are occuring all the time. We notice these events and not the others and think "wow what a coincidence" but really, they have the same significance as all the other random events that are occuring around us, which is to say very little, because they are all random events.

Quote Originally Posted by turtles View Post
    Umm, i'm actually not quite sure what you mean by "on rails" there--are we talking railway rails? As in my life is totally deterministic, like a train on its tracks. Not trying to be cheeky, i'm honestly a bit confused. I think something was lost crossing the atlantic there.

Anyway, to restate my ridiculous statement, all I'm saying is that tonnes of random events happen everyday, but most of them are completely unremarkable. Every now and then though some random event will happen that has a particular significance to someone and it will be interpreted as a coincidence. But all it is is just one random event among a large large string of random events that are occuring all the time. We notice these events and not the others and think "wow what a coincidence" but really, they have the same significance as all the other random events that are occuring around us, which is to say very little, because they are all random events.
    I'm not going to bite but do you believe it's possible, by any method, to force the hand of chance?