Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The cars you drive

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I guess some part of it is people fighting back against the impending robot takeover, etc., but I love how some of it just seems to be pranking. if I was a teenager in that town there right now, I could totally see myself putting obstacles in the road in front of a self-driving car, just to see what would happen.
    Of course a lot of it is about pranking. And those "autonomous" cars + especially trucks are an invitation for (organised) crime, too. And then there are insurance-issues, and terrorists etc. It's astonishing to me to listen to the naive "tech-jingoism" of the Silicon Valley moguls when they paint a totally flawless future of "automated" transportation. When there is so much that could and will go wrong "down that road".

It's technology for technology's sake, which is a curse of our age. It's solving a problem that doesn't exist. I feel the same way about those fucking awful self-service checkouts in supermarkets (and now even post offices and so on). It's an excuse to fire people, as much as anything. And yes, it's handing ever more power over to lives to the companies that make these things.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I guess some part of it is people fighting back against the impending robot takeover, etc.,
    The screens have been moving closer and closer to our faces increasingly quickly and now they are about to enfold us.

The windscreen, from the inside, is not so different from your TV. That was particularly my experience in US as a passenger in various vehicles thru scenery that's familiar from decades of telly

Car drivers already enslaved themselves and dematerialised their consciences. Personally i won't even kneel to unload the dishwasher

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

I guess you either have excellent hip mobility or a partner who does a lot of tutting.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Self-riding electric bikes would be much more sensible - a bike that rides to your location then rides you around. Less mass to go haywire.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Self-riding electric bikes would be much more sensible - a bike that rides to your location then rides you around. Less mass to go haywire.
    I can see human-powered travel - palanquins, sedan chairs and the like - making a big comeback among the socially conscious global super-rich in the next decade. Virtually no carbon footprint and you're giving people a job - what's not to like?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

at least when we have wiped ourself of this planet we can still have our little cars and bicycles run around as if nothing happened

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    at least when we have wiped ourself of this planet we can still have our little cars and bicycles run around as if nothing happened
    I quite like that idea.

wall-e.jpg

oops!

In 2017, the feds said Tesla Autopilot cut crashes 40%—that was bogus

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has egg on its face after a small research and consulting firm called Quality Control Systems produced a devastating critique of a 2017 agency report finding that Tesla's Autopilot reduced crashes by 40 percent. The new analysis is coming out now—almost two years after the original report—because QCS had to sue NHTSA under the Freedom of Information Act to obtain the data underlying the agency's findings. In its report, QCS highlights flaws in NHTSA's methodology that are serious enough to completely discredit the 40 percent figure, which Tesla has cited multiple times over the last two years.

But now NHTSA's full data set is available, and, if anything, it appears to contradict Musk's claims. The majority of the vehicles in the Tesla data set suffered from missing data or other problems that made it impossible to say whether the activation of Autosteer increased or decreased the crash rate. But when QCS focused on 5,714 vehicles whose data didn't suffer from these problems, it found that the activation of Autosteer actually increased crash rates by 59 percent.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/02...at-was-bogus/?

The company I work for got bought out last year by another, bigger (obviously) company. We had a talk thing last Friday given by one of their technology bods, giving an overview of the stuff produced by the other business units (what was previously our company is now one such BU out of, I think, five).

One of the other BUs produces LIDAR systems that are used in self-driving cars. Impressive stuff, of course, but in the Q&A session afterwards it really made me want to say "Have you heard about the amazing new LIDAR system that's just on the market in this sector? It's got a completely organic sensor matrix coupled directly to an organic processor, and the best part is, it can be integrated into the driver's own head!" - but I'm not sure I want to mark myself out as The Office Comedian so early on in this new setup, so I kept it to myself.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Leo

3400 people are killed every day in car crashes. Self driving probably isnt the solution, but there is a pretty major problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    3400 people are killed every day in car crashes. Self driving probably isnt the solution, but there is a pretty major problem there.
    I thought you were all about fighting overpopulation?

It's not overpopulation that's gonna kill us all, population is gonna level out in the medium term. Overconsumption is the problem.