Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The cars you drive

Default The cars you drive

What kind of car do you drive?

Is it as interesting as your musical taste?

Please contribute a picture of your wheels.

Here is mine:
    what you know about ips, we are the top boys in ips

nissan micra. neither it, nor my musical taste, is interesting

what car is that? ^^

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/03/m...g-reality.html

I enjoyed this

The mutual contempt with cyclists and portrayal of cars as metal death robots i found especially relatable as a nondriver, but the tangle of passive aggressive complexes and spurious self-justifications is well captured too

Silver Citroen C3 with the shittest, most annoying CD player of all time, but I otherwise love my car.

Cars are a complete fucking catastrophe in almost every sense. Wont even consider commuting in one these days and thats 20 miles a day in some pretty shitty weather.

Had to buy a new one before xmas as our 15 year old Yaris clapped out and was disgusted at myself. Electric next once the 40kw+ models reach the 2nd hand market at reasonable prices.

I also resist the characterisation of mutual contempt. I drive and try and have a decent regard for cyclists & pedestrians when in the car, but am far less tolerable of drivers when cycling for good reason - they are generally reckless and can kill me. The psychology of driving is uniquely toxic amongst road users.

A Smart. Car stereo has no CD-Slot anymore. I love my Smart though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Cusk
    These days, I often witness the sight of a man or woman on a bicycle with a child and heavy shopping strapped to the back, pedaling furiously through the rain while being overtaken by a stream of cars, or drawn up at a traffic light beside a large clean car with another parent and child sitting calmly inside. The difference between the two is striking without being immediately comprehensible. They might almost be said to represent a mutual criticism; alternatively, they could be seen as demonstrating fundamentally different attitudes to children. If it is true that the cycling parentís behavior signifies at least the willingness to make greater efforts on behalf of his or her child, from the outside it can look like the reverse. The driver could even view the cyclist as irresponsible, for failing to adequately protect his or her child from the dangers of the driverís own vehicle.
    Mutual contempt, but not symmetrical

I think there's even deeper conflicts in terms of driver safety being inversely proportional to safety of everyone else, and even how the aircon in the car filters out its own muck

don't own one. would sometimes be nice to have but don't need one, and don't miss the expense of fuel, insurance, parking, maintenance, etc.

even less need since the advent of Lyft/uber, for short trips inconvenient to mass transit.

As Sham 69 once put it, I don't need no flash car to take me around...I can get the bus to the other side of town! I've always been lucky enough to live within spitting distance of a tube station, so never bothered to learn to drive.

My mum had a green Ford Cortina which was her pride and joy. My dad had a red Datsun Cherry: kids at school thought this was hilarious and would regularly rip the piss out of me for being related to someone who drove a 'paki car' or 'Southall special'. Worse, the old man eventually traded it in for a cream Lada Samara and I had to start walking everywhere.

Sometimes I think it would be good to have a car, just in case I ever want to go somewhere weird and exotic like Huddersfield or Wales without paying a fortune and suffering arse-ache on the train. Or having a Toyota Supra 28i Mk I and driving around the Pennines, blasting out 52nd Street at full whack.
    Last edited by martin; 23-01-2019 at 11:45 PM.

I don't hate cars, just don't need one. enjoy driving when on vacation, except when in the uk where you all do everything backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I don't hate cars, just don't need one. enjoy driving when on vacation, except when in the uk where you all do everything backwards.
    The other great advantage of cars, as STN will attest, is that you can throw things at pedestrians from them.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to martin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    My mum had a green Ford Cortina which was her pride and joy. My dad had a red Datsun Cherry: kids at school thought this was hilarious and would regularly rip the piss out of me for being related to someone who drove a 'paki car' or 'Southall special'. Worse, the old man eventually traded it in for a cream Lada Samara and I had to start walking everywhere.
    My mum had a beige citroen diane, aka "the sewing machine" due to the high pitched whine of the motor.
    One day we thought someone had pinched it, but no chance, the brakes had failed in the night and it had gone to meet destiny at the bottom of the hill

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sufi For This Useful Post:

i canít drive so well. i find it difficult to pay attention to so many things simultaneously. it makes me stressed and i block. my father consequently had a volkswagen golf 1, 2 and 3 i think. i always liked that car. is it interesting to observe cars like those losing their distinct shapes with each new model? with sharp edges being smoothed out, going from a rather cubicle car to something round and soft? as did the television, with itís ever more panoramic dimensions. as did the internet, and itís buttons to click on? as did youth cultures? as did almost everything? or is that just nostalgia?

if i had a car and would be good at driving it, i would take it on long journeys. passing many boarders, taking a ferry every now and then. i'd take the music from this thread with me: http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4009