New York: travel guide/what to check out?

Asger

Matki wandalki
Hey guys/gals!

I'm going to NYC with a bunch of friends in february (all first timers to US and A, except one) and want to know about some nice places I should check out, on any tip. Also if you guys know some nice websites or something?
I've checked out the vice nyc guide and that wasn't particularly usefull, basically just one big list of bars in the east village, most of them are probably closed by now...?

Luv Asger

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Try Flavorpill for listings in the week you'll be here, they usually highlight a pretty good selection of things to do. Also check the websites of papers/magazines like Time Out NY, Village Voice, New York Press and New York Magazine. See if you can fit in a mix of touristy stuff (big museums and gallerys, eating at somewhere like Katz' Deli) and out-of-the-way stuff (see a band in Williamsburg, a DJ/multimedia event in Bushwick or go drinking in Red Hook). You'll have a blast.

Oh, and bring a really fucking warm jacket. Hat, scarf, gloves and boots might be welcome also.

Last edited:

polystyle

Seconding Flavorpill
And yea , the temp just dropped overnight so by Feb. should we quite cold wow
again Village Voice for detailed club listings esp. more gigs and venues weeklies
There's still some energies stirring here in NYC

mms

sometimes
reka stowas

What are the best record shops in nyc. i'm going to brooklyn for a few days soon, it would be great to know what, hip hop disco funk jazz reggae house techno electro post punk weird shit type second hand places there are of repute.
might have a little money to spend for once which is nice.

fankz;)

Asger

Matki wandalki
we were supposed to live at a friends friend, but apparently that plan isn't working out, so we are also looking for a place to live for three weeks in february-march - you guys know some cheap places?

petergunn

plywood violin
for records:

go to Academy in Williamsburg for fair prices on decent records

go to The Thing on Manhattan Ave. in Greenpoint for a basement full of unsorted records for 2 bucks a pop...

for cheap places to stay:
the Herald Square Hotel is the cheapest place i'd know, that i'd let my mom stay at...