luka

a babel of competing languages, tribal tongues barking imprecations, strange gods leering from makeshift shrines

luka

and all undergirded by the fierce rhythms of seething jungles, jaguars crouched in the sweating jungle, eyes flashing in the shadows

luka

sonic fictions of ragtag crews of smuggler starships, drinking in dive bars of future cities, a blast of digital sax, a silver skinned chanteuse starts singing and all these hardened criminals, from every backwater and every slum of every benighted galaxy start weeping softly

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
i'd never thought about it but perhaps they feel like they're living in the future so they don't need to fantasise about it

as a suburban rural boy i had a major thing for dystopian sci fi stuff - cities, romantic and terrifying at once

matter of fact the idea of where you grow up/live fuelling different fantasies is an interesting topic in of itself

continuum

smugpolice
This is the kinda stuff i am more down with but even then there's a certain cleanliness of sound.

I remember those Strange Static shows. For me they are more like UK Bass or almost Bassline than Deep Tech. Deep Tech for me is less jump up and more turned towards the trad House scene from which Radford was cherry picking the darker stuff to highlight a new direction. Therefore back in 2014 I was sort of in opposition to what they were doing but secretly I was listening to those shows and really enjoying them. In 2018 that Strange Static sound, or a more jump up and hardcorey version of Deep Tech, is more interesting than it was back then when they were perhaps a bit too ahead of their time.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
as a blade runner kinda guy i prefer to never meet you and maintain a dystopian digital relationship

luka

Three years later he moved south to England for a PhD in philosophy at the University of Warwick. In this period, Goodman’s musical tastes evolved towards dance music; in particular, jungle, a frenetic rave-born sound featuring sped-up breakbeats, samples, and bass. “Hearing jungle was about hearing those tracks [I'd been DJing] in the samples,” he recalls today.

It was during Goodman’s time at Warwick that he first intertwined his two interests. He became involved with Cybernetic Culture Research Unit (CCRU), a short-lived interdisciplinary project that had a long-lasting impact on his career. Inspired by a talk from cultural theorist Kodwo Eshun and the writings of English philosopher Nick Land, the latter of whom co-founded CCRU with Sadie Plant, Goodman came to see how the intensity of new musical forms like jungle required new language and concepts. In other words, music could spawn theory; it could be about thinking and not just listening. By mixing rave culture with elements of afrofuturism, postmodernism, and cybernetics, he began to fashion a potent personal philosophy. After completing his PhD, Goodman moved to London in 1997 and started his academic career as a teaching assistant before becoming a lecturer.

luka

Vectored through cyberpunk fiction and the post-rave speed-up of Jungle and drum-and-bass, Nick Land and the CCRU's discourse aimed at maximum intensification into immanence until 'impending human extinction becomes accessible as a dance floor'.11

luka

Cambridge Coastal Research Unit (CCRU), Cambridge
https://www.ccru.geog.cam.ac.uk/

Welcome to the CCRU. The Unit's brief is to: Provide scientifically-informed input for the better management of shorelines and their associated ecosystems. Facilitate and promote multi-diciplinary research into all aspects of shallow water marine science by bringing together natural and social scientists in Cambridge ..

luka

1. The angular momentum of breakbeat culture provides a sonic simulation of hyperurban meltdown. Not an analogy but a cartographic isomorphism opening sonic production onto a war continuum which deposits localised chaosmosis on every scale. 'Jungle's basic problem'- how to sustain rhythmic asymmetry, nurture the swerve, sustain the turbulence- 'what degree of stratification is required to get distributed?' Protracting activity against hyper-control through a becoming imperceptible. Programmed catastrophe means that the 'nomadic speed' of the extensive riot is already overexposed in a cyberfascist video capture- digitalization as stratification. From the amped-down, two-step stand-up of monoplod neuro-funk (eg. Shadow Boxing) to the turbines of no u turn, dillinja, lemon d, technical itch etc. to the elongated snake style of source direct (razors edge 5), the phase space of breakbeat warps, breaks down, solidifies and dissolves as if waiting for a geological singularity to send a new seismic wave through the submarine rhythm space of pop culture. Digital turbulence. Haptic cyberspace.

2. Following the smallest angle of deviation with each step-step-step-sonic sun tzu- very, very dark- emerging as quantized hendrix, hydrolicks by dom & roland picks up with three cycled break-beats and gradually swells until the rhythm can dam no more and is flooded by the nightmare roar of juggernautic stares and laval bass stabs. storm kemistry

http://web.archive.org/web/20130620233643/http://www.ccru.net/swarm3/3_darkcore.htm

john eden

male pale and stale
that was in reference to bartys bladerunner riff not dubstep as contrived

Yeah fair enough, I think that's a good observation about the sci-fi types.

Almost impossible to do that sort of romanticising with Grime because of the vocals.

See also that weird trend of people doing compilations of instrumental ragga tunes. Mo Wax and Sounds of the Universe both did them.

luka

Yeah fair enough, I think that's a good observation about the sci-fi types.

Almost impossible to do that sort of romanticising with Grime because of the vocals.

See also that weird trend of people doing compilations of instrumental ragga tunes. Mo Wax and Sounds of the Universe both did them.

or the way gilles would always play the instrumental of any hip-hop song.