luka

Game of Thrones is another great example of the mainstreamification of nerds

(Full disclosure: in case it wasn't embarrassingly obvious, I am a complete and total nerd)

and yet you look like a sexy overworked plumber whos just lost custody of his two kids

luka

expected this thread to have done more while i was grafting away at the day job though. bit sad. i was looking forward to unwrapping it like a big birthday present.

sadmanbarty

he's gorgeous. he's got the body of a hard nut, but then pretty blow job eyes. you'd think he wouldn't have problem's with women.

and then he does this...

luka

he's gorgeous. he's got the body of a hard nut, but then pretty blow job eyes. you'd think he wouldn't have problem's with women.

and then he does this...

introducing obstacles when all should be plain sailing. technically known as self-sabotage.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
80s-90s style cyberpunk sci-fi doesn't work in the same way it once did because we currently live in that future, or at least on its cusp

virtual reality, AI, biohacking, driverless cars, etc are all in some version of beta, will be (increasingly) integrated into the fabric of daily life

current sci-fi addressing these issues - Black Mirror, Deus Ex Machina, etc - is about the terrifying now as much as any near future

the 90s internet 1.0 naive cyberpunk view of the future is the element of jungle, of rave in general, that's dated the worst, I think

granted Luka does bang on, highly entertaining fisher/eshun/CCRU pastiche (how u have never a written a classic post-Burroughs language virus sci-fi novel I don't know)

padraig (u.s.)

I mean listen this. it's so, idk if quaint quite captures it, but it's so, so Internet 1.0.

whereas in the now/near future the kind of technologicla it's talking is happening/happened (omnipresent devices, social media, VR, etc)

luka

(how u have never a written a classic post-Burroughs language virus sci-fi novel I don't know

i was always trying to push mark in this direction. nick land was a good influence for a time in that he seems to have been the person saying always push it further. go nuts

padraig (u.s.)

whereas classic Detroit techno feels much more timeless b/c it's linked to technology/the future in a general, rather than a specific, highly dated way

padraig (u.s.)

i was always trying to push mark in this direction. nick land was a good influence for a time in that he seems to have been the person saying always push it further. go nuts

do it. except please don't go nuts in a Nick Land direction. pick a different, less terrible direction.

edit: my bad, I didn't see u referring to k-punk, not yourself. ya that would've been good. yrs would be more a more poetic symbolist kinda deal.

surely there's an endless wealth of rich psychogeographical conspiracy material to exploit.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The point about old visions of the future now seeming quaint feeds into lukas time barrier thing

OTOH as you point out a lot of it is coming true in front of our eyes

Our vision of the FUTURE now tend towards apocalyptic wastelands (swarming with zombies), right? Then again, that's a dystopia as old as the hills too.

luka

do it. except please don't go nuts in a Nick Land direction. pick a different, less terrible direction.

i do do quite a lot of writing except its the sort of writing no one likes or is interested in and i quite like it that way. i do public facing work for the man in the street when i am literally on the street and getting paid and do stuff everyone hates when i am home alone. good balance.

padraig (u.s.)

Corpsey should write a remake of Brideshead Revisited except all the characters are Datpiff (or whatever the current equivalent is) only mixtape rappers