padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
i do think dilinjah is boring, i mean, he is boring
this is maybe the dumbest nu-dissensus revisionist contrary let's rile up droid etc line

seriously take some chances. Dillinja is low hanging fruit. go after Steve Gurley or someone.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
have the courage of your convictions. why stop at dubstep? narrow the nuum down to the five best jungle 12"s of March 1994 + have done with it.

sadmanbarty

dubstep was never an organic, authentic expression of the culture (or any culture really, for a few years at least). it was a contrived music, feigning it's belonging to a tradition. 'the massive' are the true arbiters of what is and isn't nuum and they never went for it.

luka

but people get angry when you explain this to them and want to beleive whatever version they cobbled together in their own fantasies. which i suppose is fine it's just me and barty know cos we grew up here and we are patiently explaining the truth to you.

sadmanbarty

two competing ideas of the future. one clinical, one with humanity. one about how sex and violence and love and dancing and sentimentality interact with increased technological advancement, the other is, at its heart, music about touchscreen worktops and floating cars.

luka

the nick land co-option of jungle, or why kodwo eshun is wrong (albeit i like the book)

sadmanbarty

but was hardcore really about the future, or the rush of the here and now?

indistinguishable because of the common thread of humanity. it was the past, present, future and the entirety of all mankind all in propulsion together along a single helix of dna. it was like something luka experiences on dmt looking at his tarrot cards before popping to pets at home.

luka

but from an anthropologial standpoint who is to say that a cargo cult version pasted together in the cobbled backstreets of dublin or the coffee shops of portland, oregon is any less valid, any less authentic, in its own way

luka

reflective of teenage dreams and frustrated desires, the solitary fantasies of introverted autodidacts isolated in their rural retreats, misunderstood, unable to find satisfaction in the approved outlets of their socieities, the suffocating dogma of the catholic church say, or the banalities of the mtv generation.
these social rejects and refuseniks see a vision of the future articulated in the frenetic rhythms and primitive patois yowling of the jungle music and find a new religion. a place where they can truly be themselves.

luka

living in a london of the mind where flying cars swoop low over noodle stands. steam rising from pavement vents, neon pulsing in the mist.