sadmanbarty

Do they? What is it?

For me its currently: Acid House > Hardcore > Jungle > UK Garage > Grime > Dubstep > Bassline / UK Funky > Jackin' > Deep Tech

Deep Tech is basically Acid House reimagined so we've come full circle if that is what you mean by pegged it?

moving this over here on the off chance this becomes a thread derailer.

how sure is everyone that dubstep is actually apart of the hardcore continuum? isn't it just that it was a bunch of journalists making the music so they had the privilege of spreading that myth?

how about jacking? it never got too much traction down south (unlike bassline) so i don't really know

as much as i hate to admit it deep tech was nuum. it's last, feeble dying breaths.

luka

dubstep has absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever. and croydon has nothing to do with london. theyve got trams ffs. wipe it from the pages of history

luka

this is one of the problems with formulating something like that though isnt it. once youve verbalised it people try and fake it. they try to insert themselves artificially into it. you can read the story of that in our post-dubstep thread to some extent.

luka

first they tried to insert themselves into it then when no one fell for it they had a temper tantrum and tried to kick off a 'nuum backlash' and say it never existed anyway.

luka

post-dubstep scene was a bunch of goldsmiths uni graduates who'd read energy flash too many times.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
Surely nobody who actually came up with dubstep was even aware of the hardcore continuum concept in the first place? (Kode 9 excepted.)

I don't even know what the hardcore continuum is, tbh. UK Funky wasn't allowed in, as I recall, which is when I realised the 'nuum must be either dead or irrelevant.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
How so?

I don't think early dubstep sounded anything like a wannabe ardkore genre

You're more right re: post dubstep it was all very self conscious by that point

Also the dubstep that took over the US wasn't too dissimilar in aesthetics from the Belgian Hardcore and Gabba etc. that was included in 'Energy Flash'

droid

Bullshit. Not a big fan of dubstep but it came from the same roots as grime and developed organically from the El-B end of late 90's/early 00's garage. It can be argued that it was a 'Nuum offshoot but the genealogy is well established.

CORP$EY

no mickey mouse ting
anyway I'm not lobbying for its inclusion in the 'nuum

as i recall (perhaps wrongly) certain ppl believed funky was too housy or not jamiacan enough or something to be 'nuum 'proper'

whereas i thought it had all the ingredients

sadmanbarty

Bullshit. Not a big fan of dubstep but it came from the same roots as grime and developed organically from the El-B end of late 90's/early 00's garage. It can be argued that it was a 'Nuum offshoot but the genealogy is well established.

doesn't broken beat have some genealogy?

droid

Yup, it absolutely does, less stark, but you could make a case on the basis - though it would probably fail on others.

All im saying is that the assertion that dubstep was 'inserted' into the nuum post facto is nonsense. You can say it was a divergence from a common source, thats arguable at least.

luka

it's not your fault that you dont understand how this works droid becasue youre geographically isolated and werent able to go to the nights and see the crowds and dynamics etc but dubstep had absolutely nothing to do with any continuum even if they really liked el-b and el-b is terrible anyway so they went wrong right from the start.

luka

the crowd at fwd was all about 28 all male and no one danced ever. it was a networking event for the scene not a rave.

luka

at garage events everyone was 16 everyone danced and there were girls. so where is the continuum there pls?

sadmanbarty

lanky white boy in a hoody rolling a spliff between bony fingers, out with his uni friends talking about the price of bear and how crisp el b's drums are.