padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
The point about old visions of the future now seeming quaint feeds into lukas time barrier thing

it does but the sci-fi po-mo side of jungle thought is quaint in a way that many even older things aren't

it's quaint in the way an angelfire or whatever website from 1996 would be

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
clinical, devoid of humanity. it's no coincidence that it's biggest champion is a man who elects to call himself droid.

guilty as charged: i do like that casper pound quote in energy flash tbh:
"The best thing about hard-core is all the soul’s been taken out. We’ve had 200 years of human element in music and it’s about time for a change.’ He singled out the German scene for praise: ‘It’s stronger, it’s darker, it’s scarier … I don’t like going to a club and seeing 600 people waving their arms about with smiling faces. I like to see 600 people in a dark, hot place; it isn’t about happiness, it’s more aggressive, more intense.’"

anyway barty u wanna start a gay gabba night? can forgive u for having an au pair.

luka

thanks padraig. if i ever do anything in that vein you will be first on the mailing list.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
the difference in a nutshell between stompy Euro, and Detroit techno. the nuum is maybe a story of the gradual introduction of the soul, as much as anything.

thats why 94 is the best year imo, the frenzy of hardcore coupled with the soul elements. not quite perfected. the best kind of music.

luka

whether i think 91, 92, 93, 94 is the best depends on which set im listening to at that very moment.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
thats why 94 is the best year imo, the frenzy of hardcore coupled with the soul elements
if you look around, somewhere there's an old thread I started devoted to happy jungle hardcore

the last period before happy hxc went pure candy stomp, and jungle started trading the sexiness for more hardness/skunk darkness, etc

I'm a big fan

luka

had friends that signed off at the end of 93 cos it got too ragga for them. theres a time lag of about 2 or 3 years but im tempted to say those people, that impulse, was the start of garage.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
when the two step (jungle, not ukg) rhythms gradually start to come in is when i start to feel the decline setting in. suddenly its about swaying motion rather than the garbled rhythmic psychedelia.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i like all of those lumpen keeping the faith signifiers in my music. just not the way it eventually turned out.

It's a long duration thing for me. there isn't a specific year when it loses it.

Last edited:

luka

as a blade runner kinda guy i prefer to never meet you and maintain a dystopian digital relationship

im always happy to meet wierdos off the internet cos at worst you think lol what a cunt and at best you get a new mate. most of the mates ive made since i passed peak mate making age ive met online tbh.

Leo

peak mate making age

curious, what age would that be? it was late college years and then the first few years out of college for me (first time in the workforce at a largish company where i encountered a lot of people), so in the 20-25 year old range. pretty much every friend i currently have is from college or early work days.

that said, i have two significant outliers to that theory: i made one new good friend about five years ago, and i first met my wife when i was probably twice as old as some people on this forum...;)

they are the only good friends i've made since my mid-20s. sure, i've made other acquaintances over the years who i might meet up with once a year or converse with occasionally on email, but nothing more than that.