Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shanty House - a new night (London) starts Fri 3rd November 06

so what was this like?
    was it a good un?

here's (more or less) what i played.

thoughts on the evening:

it was very busy actually. not squashed in like sardines, but very busy.

• the film was good.
    • i was ok.
    • dave's set was good but i think the laptop maybe didnt sound quite as meaty as his cds/vinyl would have (is this fair?)
    • tetine- i started out really digging this, but then in the last third/quarter of their show they got painfully loud and a wee bit grating.

all in all, a success. i think the fundamental problem is that to get the acts in bun-u is going to have to get local talent cheap. he can't fly marlboro in. he can't fly revolution in etc. also he can't really stick a grime act in there cos there's too much crossover with dirty canvas. so he's pretty much stuck with trying to get hot desi acts, but then yunnuh, they can charge an absolute fortune for weddings.... it's not an enviable position for a promoter to be in.
    Last edited by Woebot; 07-11-2006 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT View Post
    i think the fundamental problem is that to get the acts in bun-u is going to have to get local talent cheap. he can't fly marlboro in.
    I think the answer is to move away from having live performances and rely solely on DJ acts…the problem is that the Whitechapel doesn’t really work as a DJ-only space, so it’ll probably have to be elsewhere.

I enjoyed the night thought, Stelfox and Woebot sets were exceptional, the film overall was good (apparently followed by a lively q&a), Tetine were more Fischerspooner than baile funk and ran on a bit, but were enjoyable nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT View Post
    • dave's set was good but i think the laptop maybe didnt sound quite as meaty as his cds/vinyl would have (is this fair?)
    • tetine- i started out really digging this, but then in the last third/quarter of their show they got painfully loud and a wee bit grating.
    the EQ was definitally flatened out on the set before tetine (daves's?) and then punched up for the live set - the PA struggled and there were horiid hi-fequence distortion that got an ear of mine ringing painfully. That said the engineer did a good job of letting the vocals through while driving the system hard..

loved/rarrr the manic love energy of the live set - the crowd was a bit muso/passive(inc. me) but was well up for Bruno and Eli's laptop set. again and more?

Quote Originally Posted by bun-u View Post
    I think the answer is to move away from having live performances and rely solely on DJ acts…the problem is that the Whitechapel doesn’t really work as a DJ-only space, so it’ll probably have to be elsewhere.

I enjoyed the night thought, Stelfox and Woebot sets were exceptional, the film overall was good (apparently followed by a lively q&a), Tetine were more Fischerspooner than baile funk and ran on a bit, but were enjoyable nonetheless.
    I just feel the concept would work 100% better in a venue with a dancefloor and a soundsystem more capable than a small pa. The energy of Shanty House is what it's all about and the gallery space does nothing to extract that from the passive muso types.

i enjoyed matt and dave's sets very much. the film seemed to only touch on the edges of what was interesting about hip-hop in columbia but i guess the cutting room floor dictates a lot.

the sound wasn't great quality, again down to the pa. tetine didn't really do it for me. as you say david, the electroclash element was too prescent. and did the keyboards actually do anything? what was the point of them? i mean i think i'd prefer it if they just brought along a cassette player and ghetto blaster. quite good fun tho but much too long.

yeah, i really wanted to get into the PA system and raise it up a bit for my set... it did sound quiet.

partly that's playing from a laptop, but we needed a bit more leeway on the mixer levels because it was punched up right to the top for matt's set and that left me with nowhere to go, really, other than into the gains, which can make the whole thing distort horribly.

a better PA would be very much appreciated.

will know for next time and have a word with the sound guy. i actually like playing from a laptop, so will do it again.

yeah, a dancefloor would be good. i totally agree.

tetine, i liked at the beginning, but toward the end i found them a bit "peaches".

anyway, glad a lot of people liked it. i had fun. hooked up with people i haven't seen for ages, gave luka a decent send-off and would be happy to do it again.
    Last edited by stelfox; 08-11-2006 at 10:06 AM.

You lot totally know you should ask me to play a kwaito set

please can mr sloane play a kwaito set. i wouldn't mind doing a dancehall / grime set as well like. lol

Quote Originally Posted by boomnoise View Post
    please can mr sloane play a kwaito set. i wouldn't mind doing a dancehall / grime set as well like. lol
    lol

Is this happening again in December. Thought it was a great night out first time round

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Is this happening again in December. Thought it was a great night out first time round
    I guess the night on 3/11 was a pilot...I'm looking to kick it off as a regular from next Feb. Anyone with good venue contacts, drop me a line. Rich Mix on Bethnal Green Rd is a possibility though I'm not sure about that place

Did this night ever happen again? S'pity if not.

What with reading about Zhao's brilliant-sounding genre-bending night in Berlin, I think London could do withits very own Shanty House nights!

Still need some headz to join me on this - Rich Mix are very into doing the night (seems to tick their boxes), but have too many things on to go it alone

Maybe could hook up with the Woofah people?

well i'll play whenever you like

My great-great-grandfather was born in a white house
    Under green trees in the country
    And he used to believe in religion and the weather.
    “Shantih, shantih, shantih” . . . Shanty House
    Was the name of a novel by I forget whom
    Published serially in the All-Story Weekly
    Before it was a weekly. Advt.
    http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/...etry/p228.aspx

from HP Lovecraft's wasteland parody.