Shanty House - a new night (London) starts Fri 3rd November 06

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Shanty House - Friday 3rd November 2006

Shanty House brings a range of global urban music to the Whitechapel – from Baile Funk emanating from Brazilian favelas, to Kwaito the house-influenced sounds of South African townships and Desi, fusing traditional Indian music with Bhangra, hip hop, garage and reggae; from the Hip-Hop of the Deep South Crunk, to Jamaica’s dancehall and London’s Grime.

The opening night will include a performances from Tetine, a Soul Jazz signed Brazilian duo fusing baile funk with electroclash. DJs Woebot, Stelfox, Bun-u playing the best in crunk, grime, desi, baile funk, reggaeton, dancehall and hyphy. The night will kick off with a special screening of Resistencia: Hip Hop in Colombia, followed by a Q&A with Director Tom Feiling.

Resistencia: Hip-Hop in ColombiaDirector: Tom Feiling, 51 min, UK, 2002
Resistencia offers a rare look at the Hip-Hop street subculture in civil war-torn Colombia, while at the same time exploring how traditional Latino music is being infiltrated by rap. Following a summer in the lives of some of Colombia's finest rappers, DJs and break-dancers, the film explores how young Colombians feel about the crisis afflicting their country and the impact it has on their lives. Caught between left wing guerillas and right wing paramilitaries, these youths turn to rap as a way to express their points of view on the realities forced upon them by long-running violence, cultural crisis and the global cocaine trade. Youthful and entertaining, but also angry and enlightening, Resistencia bears witness to how the Hip-Hop culture has a major impact far from the "bling bling" of the U.S. music industry.

Tetine
Eliete Mejorado and Bruno Verner, both native Brazilians who have since relocated to London, created Tetine in São Paulo in 1995 by combining various cultural and artistic currents. Lying at the intersection of performance art, video, and dirty electronica, a Tetine concert comes off as a Latin American version of Fischerspooner, with the raw sounds of baile funk infusing the squelchy beats.

Tetine has also increasingly incorporated the aggressive beats of baile funk into their own more rock-oriented music, which Verner dubs "punk carioca" ... Tetine's forthcoming album, L.I.C.K My Favela (on Slum Dunk Records), draws even more heavily from baile.

DJs Woebot, Stelfox and Bun-UHave been DJing a variety of musics at London venues and on radio, with Woebot and Stelfox also making huge contributions to discourse through printed and web-based media.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'll be announcing all that on pirate radio close to the time ;)

Venue: Whitechapel Gallery, East London

Cost: £5

Time: 8.00 - 11.30pm

S

simon silverdollar

i'll definitely be there. great idea for a night.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Hah - Bruno and Eli are extremely fun (and a bit crazy). Last time I saw them, Eli took her tshirt off whilst DJing and then proceeded to whip up a crowd of very straight looking Brazilian expat ladies into some extremely filthy on-stage dancing.

Will try and make it down...

luka

part of me is thinking of going to this as my goodbye bash but part of me thinks it looks a bit academic. what sort of party starts with a lecture? what sort of party takes place in an art gallery?
my mates will gun me if its shit. so let me know how partyish its going to be. can you smoke weed there? is there a bar? how worthy will it be? will i be the only person tere under the age of 30?

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I dunno Luka is the honest answer, you're quite welcome to come down and party hard...but as I found when we did Dirty Canvas down there was that the 11.30 finish (on a Friday) precludes it from being any sort of proper full-on club night. I'd say it'd something stimulating and enjoyable to do before either moving on for more or when not having a mad one. And it's just a questions and answer session with the film's Director, no lectures...so you can tell him his film was swag or shower. Where are you going?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
the flyer

ShantyHouse.jpg

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Pull up to the bumper baby…

A final push on this one

Your chance to catch Dissensus poster boys Woebot* and Stelfox in action, together with a screening of a documentary about Colombian hip hop in the gallery’s auditorium (starting at 8.00pm) and performance from the audacious Brazilian duo Tetine. Music will be a mash up of crunk, desi, grime, baile funk, hyphy and dancehall.

*well I've ordered the t-shirt

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
This sounds f'ing brilliant - my favourite musics all in one place. Congrats in advance to all the organisers.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i thought set lists might be a nice addition to this thread, maybe we could do a blog with all this info on it or psot it on the myspace page, david? this is only because i want at least half of matt's records, mind. anyway, here's mine...

1) merciless - mavis - big yard

2) i wayne - living in love - gibbo

3) perfect - handcart boy - greensleeves

4) jah mason - mi chalwa - greensleeves

5) turbulence - notorious - thc

6) lil wayne - fireman - cash money

7) pimp c - knockin doors down - rap a lot

8) trae - swang - rap a lot

9) ying yang twins - wait (the whisper song) - tvt

10) e40 feat keak da sneak - tell me when to go - universal

11) mistah FAB - N.E.W oakland - thizz entertaiment

12) keak da sneak - superhyphy - rah records

13) mac dre - fellin myself - thizz entertainment

14) the federation - go dumb - virgin

Woebot

here's (more or less) what i played.

thoughts on the evening:

it was very busy actually. not squashed in like sardines, but very busy.

• the film was good.
• i was ok.
• dave's set was good but i think the laptop maybe didnt sound quite as meaty as his cds/vinyl would have (is this fair?)
• tetine- i started out really digging this, but then in the last third/quarter of their show they got painfully loud and a wee bit grating.

all in all, a success. i think the fundamental problem is that to get the acts in bun-u is going to have to get local talent cheap. he can't fly marlboro in. he can't fly revolution in etc. also he can't really stick a grime act in there cos there's too much crossover with dirty canvas. so he's pretty much stuck with trying to get hot desi acts, but then yunnuh, they can charge an absolute fortune for weddings.... it's not an enviable position for a promoter to be in.

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
i think the fundamental problem is that to get the acts in bun-u is going to have to get local talent cheap. he can't fly marlboro in.

I think the answer is to move away from having live performances and rely solely on DJ acts…the problem is that the Whitechapel doesn’t really work as a DJ-only space, so it’ll probably have to be elsewhere.

I enjoyed the night thought, Stelfox and Woebot sets were exceptional, the film overall was good (apparently followed by a lively q&a), Tetine were more Fischerspooner than baile funk and ran on a bit, but were enjoyable nonetheless.

ome

• dave's set was good but i think the laptop maybe didnt sound quite as meaty as his cds/vinyl would have (is this fair?)
• tetine- i started out really digging this, but then in the last third/quarter of their show they got painfully loud and a wee bit grating.
the EQ was definitally flatened out on the set before tetine (daves's?) and then punched up for the live set - the PA struggled and there were horiid hi-fequence distortion that got an ear of mine ringing painfully. That said the engineer did a good job of letting the vocals through while driving the system hard..

loved/rarrr the manic love energy of the live set - the crowd was a bit muso/passive(inc. me) but was well up for Bruno and Eli's laptop set. again and more? :)

boomnoise

♫
I think the answer is to move away from having live performances and rely solely on DJ acts…the problem is that the Whitechapel doesn’t really work as a DJ-only space, so it’ll probably have to be elsewhere.

I enjoyed the night thought, Stelfox and Woebot sets were exceptional, the film overall was good (apparently followed by a lively q&a), Tetine were more Fischerspooner than baile funk and ran on a bit, but were enjoyable nonetheless.

I just feel the concept would work 100% better in a venue with a dancefloor and a soundsystem more capable than a small pa. The energy of Shanty House is what it's all about and the gallery space does nothing to extract that from the passive muso types.

i enjoyed matt and dave's sets very much. the film seemed to only touch on the edges of what was interesting about hip-hop in columbia but i guess the cutting room floor dictates a lot.

the sound wasn't great quality, again down to the pa. tetine didn't really do it for me. as you say david, the electroclash element was too prescent. and did the keyboards actually do anything? what was the point of them? i mean i think i'd prefer it if they just brought along a cassette player and ghetto blaster. quite good fun tho but much too long.