Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Something Amis wrote about Joyce (about "Ulysses", really) is conjured up by considering "Xtal" vs. all that boring drillnbass stuff Aphex has churned out.

"Beautiful prose came so naturally to Joyce that he often indulged a perverse attraction to its opposite: to hideous prose, to mirror-cracking, clock-stopping prose."

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm being simplistic of course since I love "Vordhosbn"

But there's an ethereal beauty to that tune, too, to compliment the machineseizure.

luka

Something Amis wrote about Joyce (about "Ulysses", really) is conjured up by considering "Xtal" vs. all that boring drillnbass stuff Aphex has churned out.

"Beautiful prose came so naturally to Joyce that he often indulged a perverse attraction to its opposite: to hideous prose, to mirror-cracking, clock-stopping prose."

I think this makes a lot of sense. I think it's true. You distrust what comes too easily. Particularly when it makes everybody happy

chava

Best Aphex must be GAK. Before all that showoff beat programming. Best Autechre Basscadet, Sound of Machines or a few select tracks from their first two albums. Then they got into "complexity". Yawn.

version

Best Autechre Basscadet, Sound of Machines or a few select tracks from their first two albums. Then they got into "complexity". Yawn.

Incunabula gets dismissed too often. It's one of their best, imo. I like a bunch of the later stuff too though, Exai is possibly my fav. album of theirs.

mvuent

Void Dweller
too late. none of the vocal skeptics here actually want to discuss autechre, they just want to repeat the same tired one liners and then get out. which is fair since they get overanalyzed enough elsewhere.

at risk of provoking (deserved) ridicule, I'd say I understand Autechre much better than anyone who's criticized them at length in writing. not that the ae lads are perfect or above criticism. the critiques are always really surface level, the same stuff I thought about them at 17. and if there's any artist that you can't rely on surface impressions for its them.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
too late. none of the vocal skeptics here actually want to discuss autechre, they just want to repeat the same tired one liners and then get out. which is fair since they get overanalyzed enough elsewhere.

Me and Luka are the only sceptics as far as I'm aware so don't be shy

luka

at risk of provoking (deserved) ridicule, I'd say I understand Autechre much better than anyone who's criticized them at length in writing. not that the ae lads are perfect or above criticism. the critiques are always really surface level, the same stuff I thought about them at 17. and if there's any artist that you can't rely on surface impressions for its them.

Dissensus is literally an autechre cult wtf

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I feel your pain

There was that Jamiroquai thread where everyone was taking the piss out of my favourite band ever for example

mvuent

Void Dweller
was just reading / listening to that thread since I had no idea who Jamiroquai were. having them as your favorite band ever makes perfect sense to me.