thirdform

pass the sick bucket
We're having a bit of fun third. No need to issue the fatwa.

lol no. you can find autechre bland i don't care about that i might even entertain that argument, lord knows ive heard it from more conservative 4-4 techno heads a lot. but then to post one of afx's blandest tracks just beats me.

droid

You're both wrong. Autechre are probably the least bland electronic act of all time and Xtal is a beautiful tune - album openers are important.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You're both wrong. Autechre are probably the least bland electronic act of all time and Xtal is a beautiful tune - album openers are important.

they were rendered superfluous when peter brotzmann made the album opener to end all album openers machine gun.

still, i can appreciate xtal as a nice ambient tune. but not beautiful. mind you i reject beauty as a leftover relic from the rising bourgeois still in love with Bach.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Autechre are probably the least bland electronic act of all time

I obviously totally agree with this. even their ambient stuff from the early 90s and the warp tapes prove this - is ambient electro, not communing with nature carly rae flotsen's dad.

droid

they were rendered superfluous when peter brotzmann made the album opener to end all album openers machine gun.

still, i can appreciate xtal as a nice ambient tune. but not beautiful. mind you i reject beauty as a leftover relic from the rising bourgeois still in love with Bach.

Ah, you may as well reject the air, the sun, a child's laugh. Beauty is our one inviolable fortress.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Ah, you may as well reject the air, the sun, a child's laugh. Beauty is our one inviolable fortress.

air is easy to reject it's all polluted with smog anyway. as is the sun it just makes me sweaty. a childs laugh is a bit harder as i spent two weeks with my little 6 year old cousins but given that 50 out of 52 weeks is spent without their company I don't think it should be too much of a challenge.

luka

Ok I'm going to listen to some and, as previously stated, will try to find an interesting way to loathe it.

luka

dont get overexcited. I'm not sure I will have any interesting way to dislike.... I just don't often like the maladroit, spastic, glitchy etc I my music.

luka

I'm posting this here cos that way I can listen and still fuck about online whereas if I listen on YouTube I can't look at other tabs.

luka

Yeah it's just nerdy isn't it. No need for any in depth critique. If you're a nerd probably you will like it. If you're a normal person like me probably you won't find anything to enjoy.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Yeah it's just nerdy isn't it. No need for any in depth critique. If you're a nerd probably you will like it. If you're a normal person like me probably you won't find anything to enjoy.

lol. you're not normal. you're as much a wrecked nerd as all of us. noone talks about joyce and pound on forums. more like kick the muzzies and ahrabs and pakistanis out if they still use forums in this day and age.

you're the 1960s idea of a normal person.

luka

But I'd be interested in hearing a defence of this album just on the grounds that it's so impossibly bland I can't see where any interest might be coming from.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But I'd be interested in hearing a defence of this album just on the grounds that it's so impossibly bland I can't see where any interest might be coming from.

well, you're a hooks man, aren't you? yeah sure you like some eastern drumming bits but your listening tends to be focused on the hook not the textural nature of the rhythm. it's truly mechanical and i think that horrifies you, even more than techno which whilst being mechanical is an idealised conception of a conveyor bbelt, this is how a fully mechanised artificially intelligent society sounds.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
with other machine musics such as 80s european melodic electro pop or whatever the machines are not really speaking a vocabulary where loanwords persist. it's more like machine dialect. I think Autechre were one of the few people to actually say we don't want to speak the language of non-controllable sources, we want an absolute vocabulary that only borrows loanwords.

Musique concrete/early electronic is an entirely different conception. that's about generating sounds out of certain technical confinements within academia, be that scientific, cosmological or purely to do with technology. if that's the creation of the language this is its speech.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
What do you mean by loan words in this context?

similar to free jazz in some respects. like where you can tell there's indian or north african influences in coltrane but it's not really jazz trying to be indian - which came later...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
autechre's music is more nerd-y in the sense of intelligence you'll have in hip hop or jungle. it's not roland kayne reading wener on cybernetics.