Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: the aphex twin destroyed my brain

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    90% of austere techno etc
    aka wake me up when you're finished being clever.

he should remix the entire SAW1 LP. it would be so Now.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    you can't be expected to sustain youthful brilliance into adulthood. we're all a shadow of our former selves, aren't we!
    I fully expect to and as the sun sets so will the shadow grow longer until you can't even distinguish me in the distance from the shadow and the darkness enveloping it.

Some of us have just been waiting for technology to catchup, become simpler and widely available for next to nowt

And to be fair even Autechre who I used to love back in the day (in their most obscure/unapproachable period, roughly Chiastic slide to Confield) have completely and utterly lost it now, their last two albums being confused dreck of the worst order.

Quote Originally Posted by gek-opel View Post
    Nah, Druqks is just doodles... there's about three good tracks, the rest horribly inconsequential and dull within whatever set of rules they operate (be that musique concrete/noise, kiddie electro, splattercore drill'n'bass etc etc)... each track mainly feels like a tiresome genre exercise, which from a man who used to, as you say, put the fun in art-techno, is a bit of a shame.
    Dunno about that, there are at least 8 solid tunes imo:

Jynweythek (opening prepared piano tune)
    Vordhosbn (truly eerie/hard/meancing drill'n'bass tune)
    Mt Saint Michel... etc (sprawling dnb mayhem)
    54 Cymru Beats (classic dancefloor business descends into chaos)
    Meltphace 6 (lovely poignant tune, also good dancefloor stuff)
    Taking Control (probably the most danceable and endearing tune of the lot)
    afx237 v7 (one of those tunes where you're not quite sure how it's possible to enjoy listening to it, but you do anyway)
    Ziggomatic v17 (another sprawling concept-album of a tune)

From a technical point of view, Druqks is brilliant. I don't think it's a bad album, just not the genius we'd come to expect from Aphex. Squarepusher's Go Plastic, released the same year at least made some attempt to keep up with innovations in things like garage and hip hop. Druqks just seemed like more complex variations of the "acid/jungle" theme.

Bah, gimme Tipper and Si begg anyday.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    From a technical point of view, Druqks is brilliant. I don't think it's a bad album, just not the genius we'd come to expect from Aphex. Squarepusher's Go Plastic, released the same year at least made some attempt to keep up with innovations in things like garage and hip hop. Druqks just seemed like more complex variations of the "acid/jungle" theme.
    Agreed that Go! Plastic is better, for sure, but I think it's a bit of an apples/oranges thing. Squarepusher surpasses Aphex in almost every way anyway (his production is so much better than Aphex's has ever been). (imo)

i tihnk it's an emotionally deeper and more serious album, little snapshots of voices, much more personal, pretty nostalgic, very sad in places.

apprently aphex is a comple coke head nob now and wont communicate with vibert or squarepusher anymore, even though they used ot be really good mates, now hes got a mint.

Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    apprently aphex is a comple coke head nob now and wont communicate with vibert or squarepusher anymore, even though they used ot be really good mates, now hes got a mint.
    so that's why he's put all the recent vibert stuff out on his label and he's putting out ceefax too, makes sense now

muser: Thre's all kinds of bullshit rumours about him. Although it's possible he's on coke, I'd just take that with a pinch of salt.

muser: Thre's all kinds of bullshit rumours about him. Although it's possible he's on coke, I'd just take that with a pinch of salt.
    my mate spoke to vibert himself at bangface for a pretty long time and they dont get along anymore, maybe they still have a purley business relationship but from what I gather they are definitely are no longer friends and neither is squrepusher apperently.

"my mate spoke to vibert himself at bangface for a pretty long time and they dont get along anymore, maybe they still have a purley business relationship but from what I gather they are definitely are no longer friends and neither is squrepusher apperently."
    I heard similar re Cylob and Aphex Twin.

nomadologist Guest

I think registered Dissensus users are the sum-total of everyone on earth who even remembers that IDM happened.

How many times did I listen to Fingerbib on repeat with the visualizer on high and teenaged? O, the many times my parents did pound on my wall in agony as I played Envane as a lullaby at ridiculous decibels.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadologist View Post
    O, the many times my parents did pound on my wall in agony as I played Envane as a lullaby at ridiculous decibels.
    Goz Quarter