enneff

Andrew
From a technical point of view, Druqks is brilliant. I don't think it's a bad album, just not the genius we'd come to expect from Aphex. Squarepusher's Go Plastic, released the same year at least made some attempt to keep up with innovations in things like garage and hip hop. Druqks just seemed like more complex variations of the "acid/jungle" theme.

Agreed that Go! Plastic is better, for sure, but I think it's a bit of an apples/oranges thing. Squarepusher surpasses Aphex in almost every way anyway (his production is so much better than Aphex's has ever been). (imo)

mms

sometimes
From a technical point of view, Druqks is brilliant. I don't think it's a bad album, just not the genius we'd come to expect from Aphex. Squarepusher's Go Plastic, released the same year at least made some attempt to keep up with innovations in things like garage and hip hop. Druqks just seemed like more complex variations of the "acid/jungle" theme.

i tihnk it's an emotionally deeper and more serious album, little snapshots of voices, much more personal, pretty nostalgic, very sad in places.

muser

apprently aphex is a comple coke head nob now and wont communicate with vibert or squarepusher anymore, even though they used ot be really good mates, now hes got a mint.

mms

sometimes
apprently aphex is a comple coke head nob now and wont communicate with vibert or squarepusher anymore, even though they used ot be really good mates, now hes got a mint.

so that's why he's put all the recent vibert stuff out on his label and he's putting out ceefax too, makes sense now

swears

preppy-kei
muser: Thre's all kinds of bullshit rumours about him. Although it's possible he's on coke, I'd just take that with a pinch of salt.

muser

muser: Thre's all kinds of bullshit rumours about him. Although it's possible he's on coke, I'd just take that with a pinch of salt.

my mate spoke to vibert himself at bangface for a pretty long time and they dont get along anymore, maybe they still have a purley business relationship but from what I gather they are definitely are no longer friends and neither is squrepusher apperently.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"my mate spoke to vibert himself at bangface for a pretty long time and they dont get along anymore, maybe they still have a purley business relationship but from what I gather they are definitely are no longer friends and neither is squrepusher apperently."
I heard similar re Cylob and Aphex Twin.

N

nomadologist

I think registered Dissensus users are the sum-total of everyone on earth who even remembers that IDM happened.

How many times did I listen to Fingerbib on repeat with the visualizer on high and teenaged? O, the many times my parents did pound on my wall in agony as I played Envane as a lullaby at ridiculous decibels.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Drukqs technically is weaker than the stuff from '95 onwards, less interestingly produced and engineered, its a complete step back from the cutting edge production-wise into aimless retrotronica, like Analord but less obviously so.

Squarepusher lost it some time after Selection 16 was released, tired re-hash after tired rehash ensued. His new stuff is absolutely terrible, cringe-inducing, kooky-pukey.

enneff

Andrew
Drukqs technically is weaker than the stuff from '95 onwards, less interestingly produced and engineered, its a complete step back from the cutting edge production-wise into aimless retrotronica, like Analord but less obviously so.

Squarepusher lost it some time after Selection 16 was released, tired re-hash after tired rehash ensued. His new stuff is absolutely terrible, cringe-inducing, kooky-pukey.
Have you heard Venus No. 17? Probably his best work, or at least among it. Ultravisitor was pants, though.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Warp records style IDM? Pretty much. I mean there are still people producing perfectly serviceable records in the old style, which if you enjoy the sound you might enjoy (mainly the second gen copyists now). But the techniques are all over bits of dubstep (in a primitive way, like some of the newer Mala sides) and the micro-glitch percussion elements heavily utilised by minimal house, so the sonic ideas live on. And obviously stuff like Breakcore, which I personally can't be bothered with but I'm sure certain people love...

mms

sometimes
Warp records style IDM? Pretty much. I mean there are still people producing perfectly serviceable records in the old style, which if you enjoy the sound you might enjoy (mainly the second gen copyists now). But the techniques are all over bits of dubstep (in a primitive way, like some of the newer Mala sides) and the micro-glitch percussion elements heavily utilised by minimal house, so the sonic ideas live on. And obviously stuff like Breakcore, which I personally can't be bothered with but I'm sure certain people love...

the whole trying to get as technical as poss has eased off, the mood seemed to be back to basics in some areas, concentration on analogue etc.
there are still some great things about that are a bit idm, secret mommy, matmos etc, clark album was great, but who's to know if they are idm really.

Leo

Aphex160814.jpg

http://www.factmag.com/2014/08/16/an-aphex-twin-blimp-is-flying-over-london/