Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the aphex twin destroyed my brain

squarepusher > madonna > aphex twin > luke vibert

Drukqs technically is weaker than the stuff from '95 onwards, less interestingly produced and engineered, its a complete step back from the cutting edge production-wise into aimless retrotronica, like Analord but less obviously so.

Squarepusher lost it some time after Selection 16 was released, tired re-hash after tired rehash ensued. His new stuff is absolutely terrible, cringe-inducing, kooky-pukey.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    squarepusher > madonna > aphex twin > luke vibert
    Squarepusher greater than Madge? Are you DRUNK, HIGH or INSANE?

Quote Originally Posted by gek-opel View Post
    Drukqs technically is weaker than the stuff from '95 onwards, less interestingly produced and engineered, its a complete step back from the cutting edge production-wise into aimless retrotronica, like Analord but less obviously so.

Squarepusher lost it some time after Selection 16 was released, tired re-hash after tired rehash ensued. His new stuff is absolutely terrible, cringe-inducing, kooky-pukey.
    Have you heard Venus No. 17? Probably his best work, or at least among it. Ultravisitor was pants, though.

So IDM is officially fucked, then?

Warp records style IDM? Pretty much. I mean there are still people producing perfectly serviceable records in the old style, which if you enjoy the sound you might enjoy (mainly the second gen copyists now). But the techniques are all over bits of dubstep (in a primitive way, like some of the newer Mala sides) and the micro-glitch percussion elements heavily utilised by minimal house, so the sonic ideas live on. And obviously stuff like Breakcore, which I personally can't be bothered with but I'm sure certain people love...

Quote Originally Posted by gek-opel View Post
    Warp records style IDM? Pretty much. I mean there are still people producing perfectly serviceable records in the old style, which if you enjoy the sound you might enjoy (mainly the second gen copyists now). But the techniques are all over bits of dubstep (in a primitive way, like some of the newer Mala sides) and the micro-glitch percussion elements heavily utilised by minimal house, so the sonic ideas live on. And obviously stuff like Breakcore, which I personally can't be bothered with but I'm sure certain people love...
    the whole trying to get as technical as poss has eased off, the mood seemed to be back to basics in some areas, concentration on analogue etc.
    there are still some great things about that are a bit idm, secret mommy, matmos etc, clark album was great, but who's to know if they are idm really.

i am making a didgeridoo out of old toilet rolls

You desperately need a holiday in Wales. You're losing the fucking plot.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    You desperately need a holiday in Wales. You're losing the fucking plot.
    A digeridoo is closer to the plot than a 87 page thread about generic house, but, that's where we find ourselves these days.

it's typical of craner to conflate a spiritual pathway and deeply sincerely held belliefs, true creativity, crafsmanship, passion, pain and art with mental illness. before you judge maybe you should take time to discover yourself. There is a world within waiting to welcome you.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post: